Thread: kids rifle

Default kids rifle

I have not let my kids shoot bigger rifles at young ages due to my own childhood experiences. With that being said I think I have scared them a bit. I bought my 11 year old 85 lb kid a 7-08 and my family got me a .243. We went shooting and my 11 year old did not want to shoot his rifle, so I said it is 100% ok, try my .243 later. He was ok with that until his mom shot his 7-08. He felt he needed to be a man I guess and decided to shoot his 7-08, without any pressure from any of us. After his first shot with his 7-08 he started giggling and laughing. He is now hooked! To those looking for a kids rifle I believe this is a great caliber in recoil and performance. We have the very same rifle in .243 and 7-08 and mentaly he would rather shoot his 7-08 due to his percieved felt recoil. I can't feel a differance between the 2 but I have shot a .338 for over 20 years so it is hard for me to discern any differance. Just putting informatoin out there.

Dan
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

Default kids rifle

My 8 and 10yo sons both enjoy shooting the 7-08 as well. My 10yo is also 85 lbs. My 8yo is a 100lb tank that plays inside lineman with 10yo's so YMMV.

There are two things that bit kids of old, way back when we were kids centerfire rifles weren't built with kids length stocks and it was rare to cut down a stock to fit a kid. That and most parents figured if an -06 was good enough for dad, but golly the kid would have to learn to be a man with an -06.

I started my kids with a 223 and 243 with appropriate length stock and good optics. It's amazing how quickly they gained proficiency with rifles that fit them, didn't knock them on their buts, and were capable of excellent accuracy. I ended up spending more on their rifles than my own rifle.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Good story...thanks for sharing it especially right now. That 7-08 isn't giving-up much to the 308 (if at at all), so your child will be able to use that rifle well into the future, hunting most of the animals up here. Good job dad.