Thread: Winter Camping in or near Anchorage

Default Winter Camping in or near Anchorage

I just want to get out tomorrow to test out my tent and new sleeping bag. Can anybody recommend a spot in or near town to pitch a tent? It looks like the Glen Alps parking lot closes at 11? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I just want to get out tomorrow to test out my tent and new sleeping bag. Can anybody recommend a spot in or near town to pitch a tent? It looks like the Glen Alps parking lot closes at 11? Thanks!
    I have seen folks camping at the parking area at Hatcher Pass (tents), and Finger Lake in the winter.. I am curious if Eklutna Lake camp ground is open.. If a State Park camping area is not gated, you should be good to camp.. I am told if it is not gated, it is free since there are no services available. May be someone will chime in..

I winter camped at Eklutana a couple nights many yrs ago. An excellent spot, I thought. Went for a hike up the hill behind the campgrd the next day. Blue sky day and very crisp. Awesome.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    If you are staying out overnight to camp, does it really matter if the parking lot closes or not? It isn't like you are planning to need to get your car out before it would be open in the morning anyway (unless you are only planning to "camp" for a partial night).

Default Re: Winter Camping in or near Anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If you are staying out overnight to camp, does it really matter if the parking lot closes or not? It isn't like you are planning to need to get your car out before it would be open in the morning anyway (unless you are only planning to "camp" for a partial night).
    I just wanted to avoid a parking ticket or getting towed. I called the number for Chugach State Park and was informed that Eklutna Lake campground was open year round. We stayed there and it was great. Didn't look look like any body had stayed there since snowfall. The gate was locked and we had to hike in, but we hauled firewood and even had a campfire in a fire ring. Saw a bunny and gear worked great. Thanks all!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Follow the homeless but watch your stuff.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I see your location says Anchorage/Soldotna. If you are in the Soldotna area go to johnson lake and pitch a tent. they keep the road access plowed(they have in the past) for icefishing. drill a hole and catch some fish!

Default Winter camp spots

If you want to get a little further out of town/off the road, take a look at Nancy Lake State recreational area, you can get trail maps off their website. Multi-use trails if you have snowmachines, or you can snowshoe, ski. We just got back last weekend from Red Shirt Lake and did a little camping and ice fishing and the weather was great.

redshirt lake 3.JPGredshirt lake 4.jpg

There's a real nice spot about 150 yards directly south of the Ben Boeke center....
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~