Thread: Master Guide, Guide and Transporter

Default Master Guide, Guide and Transporter

Need some quick clarification. I am putting together a list of every Master Guide, Guide and Transporter in the state. From here I will then categorize their game units and so forth.All this info is available to the public through the state, but I am trying to put it all in one place with contact info and so forth as a database where comments can be left and searched. I could spend a year going over the Statutes and Regulations Big Game CommercialServices Board stuff and thought someone could answer a few questions and save me some time.

Does a Master Guide or Guide need a transporter license? I am not thinking they do, however can they transport in another guides game unit? Without his permission? I know all the appropriate info must be provided to the state for your method of transport be it plane,boat or what have you in order to transport. I know this my be an ethical thing, but am curious.

A game use area is an area restricted to those that have the permit from the state to service that area. Correct? However another guide may work that area if he is hired by the permit holder. Correct?
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
    Need some quick clarification. I am putting together a list of every Master Guide, Guide and Transporter in the state. From here I will then categorize their game units and so forth.All this info is available to the public through the state, but I am trying to put it all in one place with contact info and so forth as a database where comments can be left and searched. I could spend a year going over the Statutes and Regulations Big Game CommercialServices Board stuff and thought someone could answer a few questions and save me some time.

Does a Master Guide or Guide need a transporter license? I am not thinking they do, however can they transport in another guides game unit? Without his permission? I know all the appropriate info must be provided to the state for your method of transport be it plane,boat or what have you in order to transport. I know this my be an ethical thing, but am curious.

A game use area is an area restricted to those that have the permit from the state to service that area. Correct? However another guide may work that area if he is hired by the permit holder. Correct?
    Every Alaska Registered Guide or Master Guide is exempt from the Transporter License requirement. At least, that used to be the case. If a licensed guide is hired by another guide, that makes the hired guide an Assistant Guide since he didn't sign the required guide/client agreement. Any guide can have up to three Assistant Guide. Now ------------- I'm quoting from some years ago, but all this is spelled out in the guide regulations as propounded by the Alaska Guide Licensing and Control Board. Check it out before you take my word for it.

What is this list going to be used for?

Sure would be interesting if you added a section showing which ones have been found guilty of fish and game violations as well as any business improprieties.

you need to sit down with a guide and a set of regs to really get a good understanding of all that really goes on.

guides don't need a transporter license

guides can operate in 3 guide use areas, unless they add predator control areas then they can have up to 6

you can operate where ever inside those areas you have land owner permission to.

you must have passed and exam to operate in any game unit
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

[QUOTE=BRWNBR;1227445]you need to sit down with a guide and a set of regs to really get a good understanding of all that really goes on.

Always wondered if guides need to have a OUPV (6pak) to take a client in a boat or skiff.

[QUOTE=anonymous1;1227712]
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    you need to sit down with a guide and a set of regs to really get a good understanding of all that really goes on.

Always wondered if guides need to have a OUPV (6pak) to take a client in a boat or skiff.
    That one kind of depends on who you ask. Not sure where the dust settled on that one.

Formerly Montana Bob,

FWIW: Don't confuse guide use area with game management unit. Not the same.

You used the term "game use area" in the initial post too. Don't know what that is......

Cheers.

A Reg. Guide can have as many assistant guides working for him as he sees fit. No other guide can contract and work in a GUA that he is not signed up to before hand with the state. Now that does not stop a guide to pay another guide to be the contracting guide in a GUA, that is a common thing to happen. Of course alot will change if the new DNR Guide Conssesion Program goes forward.

to my understanding you have to have a six pac for boat operation only on waters deemed naviagable...unnavigable waters (many in the state are deemed unavigable) can be used commercially without

Zack it's been years since I heard the outcome and it never really affected me as I have a license but. The argument from a lot of guides was that clients did not hire guides for a boat ride or something like that... It was just part of the hunt. So technically speaking guides didn't need captains licenses. But I do think they lost that battle as coasties are pretty tough on that on but I honestly can't find anything on it. But will look. I do know it worked great for me in one camp because I had a license I was allowed to use the boat...
    Last edited by Bear; 01-06-2013 at 21:39. Reason: Horrible phone auto correct

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    A Reg. Guide can have as many assistant guides working for him as he sees fit. No other guide can contract and work in a GUA that he is not signed up to before hand with the state. Now that does not stop a guide to pay another guide to be the contracting guide in a GUA, that is a common thing to happen. Of course alot will change if the new DNR Guide Conssesion Program goes forward.
    I guess that things must have changed, huh? It used to be that three Assistant Guides was the regulatory limit that an Alaska Registered Guide could employ and use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Zack it's been years since I heard the outcome and it never really affected me as I have a license but. The argument from a lot of guides was that clients did not hire guides for a boat ride or something like that... It was just part of the hunt. So technically speaking guides didn't need captains licenses. But I do think they lost that battle as coasties are pretty tough on that on but I honestly can't find anything on it. But will look. I do know it worked great for me in one camp because I had a license I was allowed to use the boat...
    Yes Bear, I believe you are right on this one but don't quote me. I believe "navigable waters" seems to be a pretty grey area and up to their disgression(sp)
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway