Thread: Need waterfowl taxi suggestions

Default Need waterfowl taxi suggestions

Hello all,

looking to get a cinnamon teal and bull can mounted...

not looking to spend 400 each... I work in Anchorage and live in Wasilla...

any references appreciated..

thanks

Just a word of advice, Just because the price might be cheaper doesnt insure your going to get a quality mount.

Like the old saying >>>>> You get what you pay for <<<<.

Look at the current birds that they have Just finished for customers. That is probably what yours will look like also.

Not throwing rocks just because I am a taxidermist either, I HATE BIRDS.

I hated doing them so bad that I completely quit Bird hunting altogether when I quit mounting them 9 years ago.

Birds are really easy to make look like crap & Very hard to make look real.

Good luck
    RJ Simington

RJ makes some very good points and after mounting birds for over 15 years.. I will tell you I LOVE Birds..lol You can make a great bird look bad sure..but you can also make that bird do about 100 things in positions verses that deer or moose hanging on the wall.. When a customer would bring me a bird or call me..Most would want them flying..banking or cupped, few sitting or in a water scene etc...I would tell them to find a picture in a magazine or on the net..bring that picture to me with the bird. So many would come in and say they wanted that bird banking left or right..I would produce a quality product only to either have them say..man you were spot on, looks great, or you could see in their eyes it was not exactly what they wanted..etc. Be sure to know what you want and what the taxidermist should produce.

Some other questions is, ask him how much experience he has, ask to see his photo book, portfolio if you will. Most take pictures of their birds to show friends and potential customers. Ask him what preservative he uses and how well he degreases the birds, does he use scissors or a wire wheel.

There are many and I can get into detail with you on a PM if needed. Do you want to use an artificial head, feet or the originals..CT and the Can wonít make that big of a difference as color is about the same and solid..But shrinkage could be an issue...is that important to you. Most Taxidermy work I have seen in AK has been done using the original birdís skull and feet. If flying and tucked back..wonít make that big of a difference..But if you are looking for some action out of the bird..the feet will need to be as lifelike as they can, properly spread out and positioned correctly. Does he inject them or can he.

Lots of little things in dealing with birds..but it is fun. good luck, I heard there was a guy down in Soldotna that does pretty good work and a guy over on Big Lake...outside of that..would not know.

DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Dont use the cheapest guy. I had a beautiful balck duck done a few years ago, and it looks like hell. It was a lesson learned for sure.

With that said, I now take all of my birds to a guy in Big Lake. Birds by Ed is the name of the businees. I will look for his number tonight when I get home. His work is fantastic, and alot of taxi guys in Anchorage bring birds to him.

It will be worth your time to visit "Caribou Unlimited ? in Soldotna.
    Rick Richardson has won national awards, is a Duck hunter and prides himself as his birds are in a display case. Call him 262-7585

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    It will be worth your time to visit "Caribou Unlimited ? in Soldotna.
    Rick Richardson has won national awards, is a Duck hunter and prides himself as his birds are in a display case. Call him 262-7585
    what he says

Thanks guys,

i was beginning to wonder if anybody mounted ducks up here...

Keep'm comin ....