Thread: Gosh, I'm lucky!

Default Gosh, I'm lucky!

I picked up another huge cat this morning! She's a monster! My second one this year, and ever for that matter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lynx Number Two (2).jpg   Second Lynx.jpg  
    Ryan from Wasilla

Fantastic sir! Beautiful animal and you are a fast learner apparently!
    I think you may have sent me a PM a cpl days ago, but my mailbox was full. If it was you please send again as I did not get it!
    Congrats!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Wow Bud, that is fantastic! Certainly luck was in your favor but give yourself a little credit. Catching two lynx in the valley is quite an accomplishment! How bout sharing some of the juicy details? What did you catch her with? Did you use the same moose hair foothold set-up, a snare, a cubby? I know you are not going to give up your honey hole, and believe me you should guard it with your life, but how did you access it? Did you snowmachine in, snowshoe, drive or what? Good job. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Fantastic sir! Beautiful animal and you are a fast learner apparently!
    I think you may have sent me a PM a cpl days ago, but my mailbox was full. If it was you please send again as I did not get it!
    Congrats!
    Thank you a lot! I'm sure trying! But it wasn't me that sent you the PM, I'm sorry if I sent one accidentally or something!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Wow Bud, that is fantastic! Certainly luck was in your favor but give yourself a little credit. Catching two lynx in the valley is quite an accomplishment! How bout sharing some of the juicy details? What did you catch her with? Did you use the same moose hair foothold set-up, a snare, a cubby? I know you are not going to give up your honey hole, and believe me you should guard it with your life, but how did you access it? Did you snowmachine in, snowshoe, drive or what? Good job. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you Bushwack Jack! I actually snared this one in a double snare pen with a piece of caribou hide hung over the center. I used Powder River Cat Call as the lure. I have to toss my snowmachine in my truck and ride into this area about two miles or so. And I apparently was mistaken when I said that it was female, because skinning it tonight revealed it to actually be a tom. He also had some birdshot in his rear end from an apparent run in with a shotgun some time ago!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Awesome CAT! Thats funny you should say it had bird shot in it. We shot a caribou a couple weeks ago that had an extra bullet in it... it was completely healed over and seemed to be a healthy bou... Amazing what they can withstand...

Yeah, I was pretty surprised. He had it pretty much all over his body, I found out. Mostly in his rear end, but there were stray pellets as far forward as his front paws as well!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Nice looking cat Ryan! Somebody may have called him in and taken a bad shot. What shot size do you think it was? I recognized it as a tom right away. With your success at catching them you will soon too. The males are much larger and have a lot more mane around the head and guard hair tufts all over the body. By any chance did you get a weight on him? Great job, you certainly seem to have the touch with the cats. Say hi to your dad for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Nice looking cat Ryan! Somebody may have called him in and taken a bad shot. What shot size do you think it was? I recognized it as a tom right away. With your success at catching them you will soon too. The males are much larger and have a lot more mane around the head and guard hair tufts all over the body. By any chance did you get a weight on him? Great job, you certainly seem to have the touch with the cats. Say hi to your dad for me.
    Thank you OATS! I'll definitely say hello to Dad for you. And you're totally right about the toms having a lot more going on than the females as far as the mane and tufts of hair. My first reaction when I saw him in the snare was that it was a tom, but I apparently didn't examine close enough when I checked to make sure and mistook him for a female. I sadly didn't get a weight on him, and as far as the shot size, I'm not too sure either. It definitely wasn't very big though, the bb's were a lot smaller than what I've pulled out of rabbits I've shot. I did have him sealed this afternoon, and he only measured out to be 35 inches... He was noticeably heavier than the first female I caught last week, but yet comes in four inches shorter than her. I was willing to bet that he would have been a lot longer than that. Oh well! His hide is a little nicer and I'm liking his coloring more, so I'm having him tanned and I'll put the first one up for sale.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Do I smell cat stew simmering on the stove?
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    I picked up another huge cat this morning! She's a monster! My second one this year, and ever for that matter.
    I'll second that......Yes you are lucky.....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Do I smell cat stew simmering on the stove?
    ARR
    I can't spread enough love to rep you as often as I'd like, G. Hope you're having a good winter.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Hey there Skinny! How you doing? I seem to be busy all the time, but man, one day, we need to sit and kill a pot of coffee, or a soda, or?????
    I think back often on that winter when I lost Chance, and guys like you took a step forward to help. I am still humbled.
    Life is good,
    ARR