Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Bering Sea West Alaska Coastline

Does the OP have a webpage? I'd like to read more about this trip... would also like to see a map with the route laid out..

guess I just need to read through the thread, but any additional info would be appreciated.

Here you go. It was a blast for so many of us to follow from start to finish. I would say that you have the advantage of reading the whole story at once when I had to wait for new progress reports as they came, but that was part of the fun. Enjoy the read. Its an amazing journey by an amazing man.

http://beav-alaskaadventure.blogspot...-paddling.html

Scott

Hey all,
    Looks like things are kinda slow on this forum right now...no I'm not going on a new adventure. But I do owe you some responses to questions you posted while I was paddling. I'll start with older questions first and work my way to present.

BeaV

Thanks for coming back on Beav. Was hoping that you would...

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    one thing more you might look at mud flats that extend miles from shore , if you are in 3 inches of water [not enought to float your rig ]
    an you have 3 FT waves coming at you an you , an about 1 from high ground what can you do ???? [ you can't walk & can't float ] just things to think about , but it sound like a good trip , SID

My solution for this scenerio was to use snowshoes as mud shoes so I could walk over the mud without sinking. If I needed to, I could have abandoned my boat and snowshoed to shore for safety. Never had to abandon the canoe, though.

Glad your back Mr. Adventure
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Wow, how does a GPS Manufacturer's PR guy,.... miss this opportunity ??

Rare Chance, to get your gear tested to the Max,...

If I was them,...and took a look at his blog site,...I'd be puttin' someone on a plane,...
    or finding Amigos PO Box,...for an AK Airlines Gold streak delivery,...

of a brand new unit,...
    I was surprised Delorme didn't offer any help other than their standard warranty. They wanted me to send the GPS and the Inreach back to them for repair or replacement. This obviously wouldn't work for me as I was using both units and there was no way they could ship them back to me weeks later. The only option that would work was if they shipped new units to me to Skagway. They refused, even after I offered to give them a credit card number and just buy new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    With Bob's workload, he must be burning big calories. I wonder what his menu is? Sure is a work horse.
    Seemed like I never had enough food! No idea calories burned and consumed, just know I was hungry especially for fatty food. My menu was pancakes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, or powdered eggs for breakfast; trail mix, candy bars, and venison jerky for snacking in the canoe; and dehydrated meals like spagetti, chili, pasta, and rice hotdishes for suppers.

I thought I had made big portions but turned out what I packed was not sustaining me. Only after 20 days on the Inside Passage, I was really getting thin and realized that I had to supplement my food. So when I had the chance, I'd buy fatty foods at stores, caught a fish now and then, and was given some salmon strips from locals twice.

Ran short of food when making the Tundra Portage and experienced serious hunger for first time in my life. NOT GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Looks like Bobs tracker went out about a hour ago.Hope he is OK
    There were a few times when I was running low on battery power so I only would turn the Inreach on occassionally or maybe only when I made camp. Also, when doing the big portages, I usually would only carry it on one trip and then turn it off and leave it behind. Seemed like every pound mattered on those treks.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    at 3,200 ft of elevation, that lake was probably still frozen? doesn't look like a paddled route, looks like he's dragging his canoe like a sled.
    Yup, coming down off the pass I dragged the canoe across Crater Lake like a sled. One pack in the boat one on my back. After Crater Lake, I encountered alot of overflow ice and water which made for some slow and difficult going. I didn't find open water to paddle until Lindeman Lake May 31.

Except under ideal conditions, dragging the canoe was harder than carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    hey Amigo, do you remember if he's taking a lot of photos while he travels,...??

I'd sure like to see that top of the Chilkoot Contry, and lots of other stuff coming up
    seems I remember him saying he wasn't much into taking the time for much photography ?

What an Epic Voyage, and fun to watch him just smokin' it so far
    I did take alot of photos and video. All my free time now is spent trying to put together some home movies. I'm a much faster paddler then a video editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Question,where on the Chandalar is Bob going to start having a ruff time?
    The second day pulling upstream. I remember it well, at 3:00 pm I pulled to shore ready to call it quits and head back down river. I was frustrated and exhausted at the slow progress. I took a short break, drank a little water and ate some trail mix. I felt better and decided to keep trudging along. A couple days later I started getting glimpses of the Brooks Range mountains and thought to myself "this is cool, I'm going to paddle from the lower 48 to the Brooks Range" and got extra motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    As of tonight, their is a wild lands fire on the N Fork of the Chandalar ... appears to be between BeaV and Venetie. Being fought by a crew of 35 from Ft Yukon. Hope it's not in BeaV's way.

http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf_fire/imf.jsp?site=fire
    I knew there was a fire north of me cuz I could see and smell the smoke but it never bothered me. Later on, while on the Koyukuk I did paddle through a big fire. Thick smoke and still some active fire along the river. I think I was in or around this second fire for the better part of a day.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    When Bob went through the Chilkoot, it was obvious from his tracker (and his plans if I remember correctly) that he was shuttling loads and making multiple trips. Now, as he is going over the tundra, it appears as though he is making one, slow push. Do you think he is dragging that canoe and all his gear? As nice as it would be to not have to repack everything, it seems as though that would be a pretty heavy, slow-dragging sled.
    No dragging- too tough. Carried canoe and gear in three trips. A good day was 2 miles progress = 10 miles total distance covered. Mile per mile, this portage was tougher than the Chilkoot.

Beav... did you locate your old cabin on the Koyukuk?

Do you plan a book?

Or another adventure?

Much congratulations on pulling off your Alaska trip; you're one in a million.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaV View Post
    The second day pulling upstream. I remember it well, at 3:00 pm I pulled to shore ready to call it quits and head back down river. I was frustrated and exhausted at the slow progress. I took a short break, drank a little water and ate some trail mix. I felt better and decided to keep trudging along. A couple days later I started getting glimpses of the Brooks Range mountains and thought to myself "this is cool, I'm going to paddle from the lower 48 to the Brooks Range" and got extra motivated.
    Days like that, dragging canoe can be rough on your spirit. I'm surprised you could gather yourself with just a short break, very impressive. I always found that a decision made after a nights rest, would've been different than making that decision when you're exhausted, and stressed out. Is there a full story posted or printed of your journey? I sure do enjoy reading of canoe adventure when our waters are froze solid.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    Beav... did you locate your old cabin on the Koyukuk?
    Yes I did. On July 4th I finished the tundra portage and paddled 30 miles to my cabin site. Got there at 10pm and found the cabin had been burned to the ground. I camped there that night and left early the next morning to get to the haul road and hopefully buy some food from travelers.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Do you plan a book?

Or another adventure?

Much congratulations on pulling off your Alaska trip; you're one in a million.
    No plans on a book or another adventure at the present time. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Days like that, dragging canoe can be rough on your spirit. I'm surprised you could gather yourself with just a short break, very impressive. I always found that a decision made after a nights rest, would've been different than making that decision when you're exhausted, and stressed out. Is there a full story posted or printed of your journey? I sure do enjoy reading of canoe adventure when our waters are froze solid.
    Sorry, no written account.

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast