Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Bering Sea West Alaska Coastline

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The BeaV's tracking system apparently allows for some messaging. Last night, he sent a message ... "Delayed due to wind/tide but everything is ok." ... He's aware that his track is being watched with concern and can allay any worries. Glad the technology allows us to "participate" in his epic adventure for the last some 5 months.
    He has used that message a number of times since hitting the coast. I think it is one of a few pre-programmed messages he has in there.

Bob has a low that's going to blow, heading his way in less than 48 hrs. I hope he finds someplace where he is not too exposed, before that hits...High pressure is building ahead of this Low. He may have as much as 36 hours to make some progress before the winds start kicking up...this is not a monster, but it is big enough to give him some serious wx to contend with... Hopefully he knows it is coming and finds a good place to ride it out.....

Looks like he's got a handful of options if he needs to hide out and let it blow over. That is if the tide let's him. He is sure covering some mileage today.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know if Bob has plans once he reaches Anchorage? Does he have people meeting him at the end of his trip or is he quietly just going to row into the port of Anchorage and hail a cab?

I think we ought to have a big BBQ or at least be there to greet him when he comes in. If I am in town I am going to try to be there regardless. I would like to shake his hand and tell him good job.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I think we ought to have a big BBQ or at least be there to greet him when he comes in. If I am in town I am going to try to be there regardless. I would like to shake his hand and tell him good job.

Don't keep him in Anchorage long so he can paddle to Juneau before to bad of weather.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

They show that Bering Sea low now staying off shore and deepening (getting stronger)...

PKZ160-200300-
    BRISTOL BAY WATERS CAPE NEWENHAM TO PORT HEIDEN
    400 AM AKDT MON AUG 19 2013
    .TODAY...W WIND 20 KT. SEAS 6 FT. PATCHY FOG. RAIN.
    .TONIGHT...W WIND 20 KT. SEAS 7 FT. PATCHY FOG.
    .TUE...NW WIND 20 KT. SEAS 7 FT. PATCHY FOG.
    .TUE NIGHT...W WIND 20 KT. SEAS 6 FT.
    .WED...W WIND 20 KT. SEAS 6 FT.
    .THU AND FRI...W WIND 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    Bob is in a bit of a pickle.....been sitting for two days with wind problems, just East of Cape Newenham. Looks like the best he'll get is at the end of the week with 15KTS and 5 feet.....hope he has plenty of food, he's going to be there a while from the looks of things....

I have been wondering whether he might scout out a route and try to portage the cape...with a NW wind he could make Togiak easily if he didn't have to round that point and could start in the lee of it.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I wondered the same thing. It would sure cut down some miles on the water.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Looking at his GPS track, it looks like that's exactly what he is doing.

Ahh...couldn't get his map to work this morning...does look like he is on the overland scout/portage...

Every time there seems like a way to make this trip work, he does it.
    14 Days to Alaska

Of course, he'll have to find a way down to the water, looks a bit vertical around there...
    14 Days to Alaska

I wondered about this portion from early on. A mile and a half portage, even with the terrain on the far side, seems like a better deal than a 20 mile paddle. Not to mention I would imagine it feels pretty good to stretch the legs on solid ground after spending all that time paddling.

Looks like he got tired of waiting and did the portage.

New update and pics today...... http://beav-alaskaadventure.blogspot.com/
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thumbs up Lookin' good

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    New update and pics today...... http://beav-alaskaadventure.blogspot.com/
    Check out Bob's picture of himself posted today.

At first glance, until I read the words, I thought that was the picture of a well known forum member here. Turns out the similarity is merely a product of the environment he's in; makes sense.

Pretty Impressive that he found a place to haul out and pitch camp, much less get a fire going,...out in the Mud Expanses

that was the part I hadn't imagined he would enjoy at all,...just have to miserably suck it up through there,...if he could even travel across it all

I can hardly believe how tough that guy is,...wow

I bet he'll have a "Crushing Handshake," for anyone who gets to greet him in Anchorage
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

His handshake was already very strong in Wrangell

Bev is really moving along, another 4-5 days and he should be paddling up stream.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast