Thread: First bullets made this morning :)

Default First bullets made this morning :)

My wife bought me a reloading kit for Christmas this year! I was so happy, anyways, I had to wait until this morning to start making bullets due to having to order this online since most stores are out of components (primers mainly). This morning made 16 bullets for my .45/70. 10 - 525grain bullets from Beartooth Bullets with 38.5 grains of IMR 4198 and 6 - 41 grains of IMR 4198. I can't wait to get out and shoot a little this weekend to see how they hold up.
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

I also got a reloading kit for Christmas, and I have made some rounds for my .270wsm and .338 winmag. I wish I had got into loading years ago, it is keeping me occupied during the winter, and I think it is fun too
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Well boys welcome to the addiction er uh hobby, yea hobby.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yeah, That's exactly what I was thinking of saying,....word for word

but it's a healthy addiction I think,....I only start to get the shakes after a week or more of Rain at the Range
    Snow,...can always be dealt with,...

cause ya gotta get rid of those Fresh Loads,....so you can Rework 'em,....range weather is all that can hinder you
    you may have heard the idea,..."I Shoot, so I can Reload,.." (that's me already, for sure)

Or,....you can just buy tons of Brass,....and just keep loading 'em up,....maybe,...... depends on how picky you are

and THEN, there was the time, I spaced out and hit my Chrony,....waiting to replace that was agonizing,....heh heh

I would recommend, you start budgeting for a Chronometer asap,...cause you'll care,...how fast they're flying,....and soon

Have Fun,...I Really Love It,...Wish I'd have started sooner
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Congrats on a really expensive way to save money
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Very funny and SO TRUE. My wife is still discombobulated at all of the stuff I have to have for my addiction, I mean hobbie! I always tell her it keeps me out of trouble! Also fun teaching my grown kids the craft. FWIW, there is probably several hundred years of reloading experience here on the forum with many who far surpass my basic abilities and they are generous in sharing with the less knowledgable. Many thanks from me and hope we all have a good year!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Congrats on a really expensive way to save money
    That is the most concise, and accurate statement I've ever heard about reloading.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Welcome to the world of reloading...everything that has been posted before me is true.

Your benign fascination with this hobby will quickly advance into sickness with every super-accurate load that you carefully and methodically develop...for every single rifle that you own. You will be full-blown addicted when you take your first animal with your own handloads...from there it's pretty much turbo-speed into the world of electronic case trimmers, chronographs, progressive presses, lying to those you love about buying components that you stockpile "just in case", lying to yourself that you can stop handloading, etc.

Once again welcome...we have a twelve-step meeting every Saturday at Rabbit Creek Rifle Range, my name is Chuck.

What kind of press did you get? Like already said, it can be an expensive hobby. I tell my wife it saves me money but I'm really not in it for that. I like being able to handload the most accurate rounds I can. I started years ago with a Lee turret press and then wanted to be able to pump out pistol rounds and .223 faster so I got a Dillon 550. That eventually led to me buying a Dillon 650 with a case feeder. Then I just bought myself an RCBS Rock Chucked Supreme about a week ago. My Dillon 650 is set up to pump out .223 and my Dillon 550 is set up for .45 right now. My Lee turret is still on the desk for 7mm-08 and 7mm RM. I now use my Rock Chucker for my hunting ammo since I like to handload those one at a time as apposed to reloading mass amounts. You will find there is a difference between reloading and handloading. I'm not really sure I've saved much money if any after buying all the fun gadgets like chrony, digital powder dispenser, power case trimmer for the 550, and on and on. Right now I have 4 different presses set up and have basically taken over the spare bedroom. Moved the bed out and my bench keeps getting bigger. Tons of info to be had on here so don't be afraid to ask. The only stupid question is the one not asked. It's fun to sit with the kids and reload, my youngest started at 5, with close supervision of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy View Post
    My wife bought me a reloading kit for Christmas this year! I was so happy, anyways, I had to wait until this morning to start making bullets due to having to order this online since most stores are out of components (primers mainly). This morning made 16 bullets for my .45/70. 10 - 525grain bullets from Beartooth Bullets with 38.5 grains of IMR 4198 and 6 - 41 grains of IMR 4198. I can't wait to get out and shoot a little this weekend to see how they hold up.
    The next step is casting you're own bullets, maybe next Christmas?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Enjoy your new hobby!

The information below may be useful to avoid confusion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartridge_(firearms)

This addiction is about shooting more and better ammo with the same amount of money. I started loading right at 50years ago so I could afford more ammo for my shotgun. Next was so I could afford to shoot my 38spl more than a few rounds a week. Then I wanted to use my 7mag for rockchucks and I wanted ammo that you couldn't buy. Next was casting for my 38spl and at 2 cents per round I could shoot a lot with my meager wages. Just remember to buy your components when they are stacked on the shelf. Right now is not the best time to start loading but it will get better before too long. If you really can't find components let me know. I am fairly well stocked and can spare some stuff. I would hate to see a new loader sitting with all the equiptment and no components.

I got a Forster press for Christmas too. It looks good on the bench next to my Dillon 650XL. I think my favorite new toy is the Lyman Case Prep station. I got a primer pocket uniforming tool (hand held) and it screws right onto one of the stations. I believe I might get a WFT (World's Fastest Trimmer) too, then I'd be cookin'!!!!

Made up some .480s a few weeks ago. They're awesome!!! Saves me a lot of money. .45acp net on the menu, then the .357, then the .22-250 then the .375H&H then the .308 (oh man like other guys are saying, are you in trouble with that gadget!!!!)

Excellent! Welcome to a new world! Gotta set a ya straight on a few things though....

These are bullets...otherwise know as J-Words....

These are Boolits!

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

What's a "J-Word"
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    What's a "J-Word"
    ssshhhh....jacketed....

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    ssshhhh....jacketed....

Ok...I'm a little slow.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist