Thread: Need a new motor, but which one?

Default Need a new motor, but which one?

So I am planning on getting a motor soon and cannot figure out which direction to go. Itis going to be a second boat for lakes and near shore use. I don't plan on rivers but it will be beached.

The options are a used 60/40jet, a new 50hp prop, or a used 40hp prop.

I talked to someone with the same hull, but without the motorwell, that had a 60/40jet and said he wouldn't go any smaller. He said it topped out at 26kts and did ok with 3 adults, but I would suspect the 40prop would do better then the 40hp jet.

Here is the hull its a 16' Skookum and tag says 55hp max.

I have been asking around and scouring the interweb to look for motors and found

A 2007 Yamaha 60/40 tiller for $4500 (used 1hr)
    A 2012 mercury 60/40 with controls for $5,500 (used 2hrs)
    A 2013 Suzuki 50hp with controls for $5,300 (new)
    A 2013 honda 50hp without controls for $5,700 (new)
    A 2010 Mercury 40hp with controls for $3,500 (used)

Going to look at the 40hp and merc jet Saturday. Just want to know which direction to lean.

Check out Tohastu.

Stick with the max prop rating...models are taster`s choice. Yamaha 2-strokes are very strong pwr to wieght. Jets are a pain unless you need one.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Tohatsu if you don't need a 4 stroke, otherwise the Suzuki

I like my Suzuki's I have twin 250's on my 34 footer, and a 50 on my 20 foot sled on the Kenai. All run very quiet, and sip fuel for the power they put out.

Well since nobody has said it, I buy the one from the local dealship as you will have service support and a warranty. It will cost a bit more, but at least they will have someone available to work on it, and have some parts in stock when the time arrives that you need some.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshbuck View Post
    So I am planning on getting a motor soon and cannot figure out which direction to go. Itis going to be a second boat for lakes and near shore use. I don't plan on rivers but it will be beached.

The options are a used 60/40jet, a new 50hp prop, or a used 40hp prop.

I talked to someone with the same hull, but without the motorwell, that had a 60/40jet and said he wouldn't go any smaller. He said it topped out at 26kts and did ok with 3 adults, but I would suspect the 40prop would do better then the 40hp jet.

Here is the hull its a 16' Skookum and tag says 55hp max.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Well since nobody has said it, I buy the one from the local dealship as you will have service support and a warranty. It will cost a bit more, but at least they will have someone available to work on it, and have some parts in stock when the time arrives that you need some.

I ended up getting a used 2010 Mercury 40hp efi motor with warranty for another year. There is a mercury dealer 30min away so that will be nice. I have to bring my Suzuki 2hrs each way.

I pulled the prop and noticed the prop shaft has about a 1/16th of a inch play forward and back. There is no lateral or vertical play. Is that a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshbuck View Post
    I ended up getting a used 2010 Mercury 40hp efi motor with warranty for another year. There is a mercury dealer 30min away so that will be nice. I have to bring my Suzuki 2hrs each way.

I pulled the prop and noticed the prop shaft has about a 1/16th of a inch play forward and back. There is no lateral or vertical play. Is that a problem?
    Honestly, I'd pull it, look at the schematic, and make sure all the parts are there. Sometimes motors are not sold with a prop, or the prop is taken off and the person putting it on doesn't put the thrust washer in. It doesn't sound like a huge deal but without it you will soon be buying a new lower unit. It's probably fine, and your play is what I'd call normal, but I would still check.