Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Guns & Ammo on the Ferry?

  1. #1
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default Guns & Ammo on the Ferry?

    If I am moving to Alaska and wanted to bring all my guns (several) and a good amount of Ammo in my
    car/truck/U-haul etc... on the Ferry from Washington to AK? What are the rules/restrictions. If this is not
    possible how would you do it?
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

  2. #2
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Transporting Firearms

    Walk-on passengers traveling with legal firearms or weapons on AMHS vessels are required to check these items with an AMHS employee. All firearms must be unloaded and ammunition stowed separately from the firearms. Unloaded firearms may be securely locked in passengers' vehicles. Please note that new laws regulating the import, export, and possession of firearms have been implemented in Canada and the U.S. Please check with Canadian or U.S. customs offices prior to transporting a firearm into these countries. You can get more information on the Internet at Canada Border Services Agency, the Canadian Firearms Centre, and for U.S. regulations at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms site.


    Found this here>> http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/policies.shtml

    Might wanna bring some sleeping aids with you. I, and others, have found it difficult to sleep aboard the ferry.

    Have a safe trip!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  3. #3
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Transporting Firearms

    Walk-on passengers traveling with legal firearms or weapons on AMHS vessels are required to check these items with an AMHS employee. All firearms must be unloaded and ammunition stowed separately from the firearms. Unloaded firearms may be securely locked in passengers' vehicles. Please note that new laws regulating the import, export, and possession of firearms have been implemented in Canada and the U.S. Please check with Canadian or U.S. customs offices prior to transporting a firearm into these countries. You can get more information on the Internet at Canada Border Services Agency, the Canadian Firearms Centre, and for U.S. regulations at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms site.


    Found this here>> http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/policies.shtml

    Might wanna bring some sleeping aids with you. I, and others, have found it difficult to sleep aboard the ferry.

    Have a safe trip!
    That was the reason for the Ferry....to avoid Canada. Do not want to deal with the Canadian Authorities if it can
    be avoided.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    I am certain someone will correct me if I am wrong but, I do believe the ferry travels through Canadian controlled waters ( I doubt it travels far enough from shore to be in International waters) and is, therefore, subject to it's laws, so being in compliance would do one well in a case of a boarding/inspection by the Canadian authorities.

  5. #5
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    I agree with .338WM that it would be in your best interest to be in compliance with the Canadian rules and regs. on firearms & ammo. The ferry travels as close as it can get to the land mass, for smoother sailing I assume, and you will be in their waters. The ferry route is marked in green.

    Attachment 66951
    "Grin and Bear It"

  6. #6
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Ok I see your point but what are the Canadians going to do with my pistols and semi autos?
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

  7. #7
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default Guns & Ammo on the Ferry?

    Just don't get off the boat with them in Prince Rupert, you'll be fine.

    Also, make sure you get a cross gulf line, otherwise if you get off in Haines, you'll have to go through Canada to get back into the rest of AK
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  8. #8
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    As long as you stay on the ferry you are Ok.Canada will not board the ferry in route from Washington to Alaska ports.The only Canada rule followed on the ferry is no one on the car deck while in Canadian waters.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    No problem with guns as long as you're on the ship, no matter what whose water it's in, a US flagged vessel is considered to be US soil. Keep them locked in the truck and you'll be fine. But as AKheloce said, make sure you book the cross gulf on the Kennicott or you'll be stuck in Haines or Skagway with a truck load of guns. You can get a permit for the long guns, but handguns are a no-no in Canada.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

  10. #10
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Can you haul a small enclosed trailer with you on the ferry? Anyone know?



    Release Lake Trout

  11. #11
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default Guns & Ammo on the Ferry?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Can you haul a small enclosed trailer with you on the ferry? Anyone know?
    Yep, saw that, boats, reefer vans, etc
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  12. #12
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    If I am moving to Alaska and wanted to bring all my guns (several) and a good amount of Ammo in my
    car/truck/U-haul etc... on the Ferry from Washington to AK? What are the rules/restrictions. If this is not
    possible how would you do it?
    Walk-on passengers traveling with legal firearms or weapons on AMHS vessels are required to check these items with an AMHS employee. All firearms must be unloaded and ammunition stowed separately from the firearms. Unloaded firearms may be securely locked in passengers' vehicles. Please note that new laws regulating the import, export, and possession of firearms have been implemented in Canada and the U.S. Please check with Canadian or U.S. customs offices prior to transporting a firearm into these countries. You can get more information on the Internet at Canada Border Services Agency, the Canadian Firearms Centre, and for U.S. regulations at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms site.
    http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/policies.shtml
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  13. #13
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    ...but handguns are a no-no in Canada.
    There are barrel length restrictions, but not all handguns are prohibited through Canada.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    No problem with guns as long as you're on the ship, no matter what whose water it's in, a US flagged vessel is considered to be US soil. Keep them locked in the truck and you'll be fine. But as AKheloce said, make sure you book the cross gulf on the Kennicott or you'll be stuck in Haines or Skagway with a truck load of guns. You can get a permit for the long guns, but handguns are a no-no in Canada.
    A U.S.A. flag flying from the ferry does not guarantee, nor prevent, Canadian authorities from boarding the vessel if they "feel" thay have good reason, just as the U.S. Coast Guard does/may do to any other foreign flagged vessel in U.S. waters. I am not saying it "wiil" happen, but it is a possibility, however remote. That being said, if it were me transporting my own legaly possessed firearms under the rules established by the AMHS, I would certainly do it.

  15. #15
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    A U.S.A. flag flying from the ferry does not guarantee, nor prevent, Canadian authorities from boarding the vessel if they "feel" thay have good reason, just as the U.S. Coast Guard does/may do to any other foreign flagged vessel in U.S. waters. I am not saying it "wiil" happen, but it is a possibility, however remote. That being said, if it were me transporting my own legaly possessed firearms under the rules established by the AMHS, I would certainly do it.
    The situation aboard an Alaskan ferry is a little different from that of other private craft transiting through Canadian waters, regardless of the flag she's flying. Aboard a U.S. flagged fishing boat for example, or other private U.S. flagged craft, you are subject to Canadian laws, including gun laws while in Canadian waters. Aboard an Alaska ferry however you are considered to be on Alaskan soil and are subject to the laws of the State of Alaska, even while transiting Canadian waters.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  16. #16
    Member Daveintheburbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    647

    Default

    That is how I got all of mine here. I assume you are catching the cross gulf to avoid trainsiting Canada at all.

  17. #17
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Yeah, I'd worry more about those American laws, not Canadian ones...
    "Grin and Bear It"

  18. #18
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    That is how I got all of mine here. I assume you are catching the cross gulf to avoid trainsiting Canada at all.
    I would do whatever it took to get them there legally so transiting through Cnada would be totally out of the question.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

  19. #19
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The situation aboard an Alaskan ferry is a little different from that of other private craft transiting through Canadian waters, regardless of the flag she's flying. Aboard a U.S. flagged fishing boat for example, or other private U.S. flagged craft, you are subject to Canadian laws, including gun laws while in Canadian waters. Aboard an Alaska ferry however you are considered to be on Alaskan soil and are subject to the laws of the State of Alaska, even while transiting Canadian waters.
    That sounds good and makes sense and its waht I was hoping to hear. This is doable.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

  20. #20
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Yeah, I'd worry more about those American laws, not Canadian ones...
    We are heading towards the Canadian Laws.....absolutly no handguns and high cap semi-autos
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •