Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Jiggy 2013 ice fishing tournament for the kids?

Default Getting Jiggy 2013 ice fishing tournament for the kids?

Does anyone know if there will be a Getting Jiggy ice fishing tournament for the kids this year? Last year it was on Finger lake and there was a great turn out, but I have not seen anything for this year.

still a little early, usually the last week of February, see you there
    "f/64 and be there"

http://www.themasterangler.com/forum/

You could contact the owner of this website, or check it for updates on the Gettin' Jiggy tournament.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I was just wondering about it myself. My kids all love participating.

Just wondering about the kids fishing event I have seen advertised coming up Feb 24. Is this same derby they have had in the past? If not I thought it was a little ironic that this new derby has the same sponsors and was set at the same time frame as the Get Jiggy With It kids derby. I am sure others are wondering as well.

no it is not Gettin Jiggy. i screwed up and lost track of time in my busy life. i realized a little late i wouldnt be able to do as good of a job as i have done in the past with such little time and no help. i sadly realized i had to postpone it. it was a very hard decision to make. now im just trying to keep my cool as i have seen this new event popping up that is so similar its amazing. even the food vendor and catch and release rule. i dunno, kinda feels like i got stabbed in the back. not so much as a phone call... hey do you need help? hey do you mind if we use your 5 years worth of ideas and work? i know why the sponsors would help and its great for Make A Wish its just weird. its for the kids right?

Preed - what I find hard to swallow is just what you point out. I know any event for promoting sport fishing in Alaska and supporting a great cause at the same time should be a win-win situation.

Gettin Jiggy was an event I always look forward to supporting and I know it is very difficult and sad for you to not be able to host the event. Your last 5 years of putting together such a fantastic event will not be forgotton. You made a positive impact on a hundreds of people, including those that mimic your event this year. One of the greatest forms of flattery is to to copied.

Still I understand how upset one can be and it just does not sit just right. After all they are right in your own backyard and a simple phone call before planning and advertising would have been a decent thing to do. They know who you are, and any decent person would have reached out. Especially after all the blood, sweat and tears you have poured into the event and community last five years. Having a vested interest in the community with the event got seemingly cast aside without even simple courtesty telephone call. We all know if those hosting this copy cat event had 1/2 the passion about ice fishing, then they probably even attend one of your events in the last 5 years. After all they are your neighbors down there.

Although the "new" event is for a great cause, I am sure it wil not have the same flavor and magic that Gettin Jiggy has had.

Just say to yourself...."copy cat, dirty rat...cant say it back" haha

I hope the donation goal is reached in support of "Make a Wish" at the event.... could have been more considerate and diplomatic about going about hosting the event. If they really wanted to make it a great event all about the kids and for a great cause then they would have contacted you for ideas, or confirm the rumors to ensure both events were not held on same weekend, or at the very minimum invited you to help host an event. with your experience of doing the exact same thing for the last 5 years, thier loss. You and I both know they didnt ....
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

What he said ...
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Doesn't look like the kids will be missing out. After all is said and done, isn't that really what its all about?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Doesn't look like the kids will be missing out. After all is said and done, isn't that really what its all about?
    I agree,

In the context of the event itself I do not think anyone will disagree that the notion and execution of a kids ice fishing derby is a good thing. Promoting sport fishing, getting kids involved in postive activity, raising money for charity, bringing the community together....2 thumbs up.

Nothing could be better than a large turn out of happy kids catching lots of fish and the donation goal met for "Make a Wish" foundation for the event. I really hope the event goes well.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Of coarse its for the kids. That was what this event was created for. My first event was just me. No sponsors, no benefactor, no entry fee, no nothing. I spent my money on a trailer load of prizes for the kids in hopes that parents would make time for a family day out at the lake. To take time out of their busy schedules and teach their kids how to fish creating memories like when my dad taught me how to fish. I posted flyers made internet posts everywhere I knew, to get people to come out. There may have been 12-13 adults show up and 5-6 kids. Laughing… nobody caught a fish, but we all had fun. It was from there that I had to do some real hard thinking on a better way to get people involved. The next year I added Make A Wish seeing as it was a kids event and I thought I could teach kids to help other kids. When this attracted a larger crowd I realized I needed more prizes that I couldn’t afford so I took to the sponsor route. Crowds grew every year, things got tweaked every year making it better every year. Some things got tossed some things got added every year something was learned, all to create a valley ice fishing derby for families. For me, its always been about the kids.

i do worry about people now days. nobody seems to know the meaning of the word respect and nobody knows how to be considerate. its all take take take and screw you.

I do hope it raises a lot of money for Make A Wish, it is for a good cause, I do hope the kids have fun. I also hope karma kicks a couple people in the ass someday. Sorry but im only human.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

What's the big deal preed? I don't wish to enter a urinary olympics with you on this, just saying that if this is all about getting kids out fishing and making memories, then it seems pretty selfish to expect there to be no fishing derby for the kids in the Mat-Su just because you aren't involved...or am I missing something here?

no i just wish they didnt copy me thats all. i just had to vent a little. its been bugging me. im done.
    i hope its a great event with a great turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    What's the big deal preed? I don't wish to enter a urinary olympics with you on this, just saying that if this is all about getting kids out fishing and making memories, then it seems pretty selfish to expect there to be no fishing derby for the kids in the Mat-Su just because you aren't involved...or am I missing something here?
    Just like anything in life you don't want someone to just take all your hard work getting sponsors and food and prizes and advertising without so much as a shout out to see if you could help make it happen rather than just doing it yourself and not telling the guy who started it all.
    That would frustrate me to no end.
    I was at Preed's first event and even that little one he tried real hard without a lot of original know how on how to really get people involved like he said. Was still a good time. We didn't catch a single fish the whole day but we still had a good time with what we had.
    Its difficult making cold calls to people you don't know and asking them to donate time or prizes even if it is for a good cause.
    Looking at the advertising lineup, it's pretty obvious that whoever did this new one on finger lake went right down Preed's list and contacted them to see if they wanted to join.

In the end it's great to still have a tourney for the kids and finger lake has just been stocked and the fish have been hitting good out there so it should be a barrel of fun.

Paul,
    I know I havent been around much on the boards but if you are planning on hosting next year send me a PM if you need help and I'll do what I can. I know a few others who would help out as well. It's a great tradition you started here and it is appreciated.

Justin
    Justin

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Adventures View Post
    Just like anything in life you don't want someone to just take all your hard work getting sponsors and food and prizes and advertising without so much as a shout out to see if you could help make it happen rather than just doing it yourself and not telling the guy who started it all.
    That would frustrate me to no end.
    I was at Preed's first event and even that little one he tried real hard without a lot of original know how on how to really get people involved like he said. Was still a good time. We didn't catch a single fish the whole day but we still had a good time with what we had.
    Its difficult making cold calls to people you don't know and asking them to donate time or prizes even if it is for a good cause.
    Looking at the advertising lineup, it's pretty obvious that whoever did this new one on finger lake went right down Preed's list and contacted them to see if they wanted to join.

In the end it's great to still have a tourney for the kids and finger lake has just been stocked and the fish have been hitting good out there so it should be a barrel of fun.

Paul,
    I know I havent been around much on the boards but if you are planning on hosting next year send me a PM if you need help and I'll do what I can. I know a few others who would help out as well. It's a great tradition you started here and it is appreciated.

Justin
    All I was saying was that since this is all about and for the kids (and not about/for the organizers), and since preed had absolutely no plans to do it this year, the fact that someone else stepped up and did it for the kids seems like the right thing to do. I'm just not sure how someone can expect the format of a kids ice fishing derby on Finger Lake to look different from the format of any other kids ice fishing derby on Finger Lake.

hey Justin, long time...

the fact that someone else stepped up and did it for the kids seems like the right thing to do.
    yeah thats great, i just thought it was gone about in the wrong way, thats all. whats done is done, so im just looking at the good side now and hope it goes well. families have a fun day and Make A Wish makes some money. that is what its about, win win.
    i was pretty pissed off when i first saw it, now im over it. if i was out of line i apologize, it isnt the first time wont be the last.

I'm just not sure how someone can expect the format of a kids ice fishing derby on Finger Lake to look different from the format of any other kids ice fishing derby on Finger Lake.
    now your just being silly, people give suggestions all the time on how to do it differently. just cause you cant come up with anything doesnt mean it cant be done. heck i could spout off several different ways off the top of my head.

Hey everybody my husband and I are organizing this years Matsu Kids Ice Fishing Derby. I am on AOJ tonight to promote the derby and hopefully raise more awareness and funds for Make-A-Wish Alaska and help more kids participate. I am disappointed to see some of the comments on this thread. Its a shame that my husband and I have been treated this way by the same couple guys on here when the circumstances are totally different than what they are claiming. There are certainly two sides to this story. For the record: We did not steal, take, or in anyway try to go behind Paul's back and put on a kids derby. I repeat we were contacted and told that "the organizer" had stepped away with little notice and the derby was not going to take place and funds were NOT going to be raised and we were asked to HELP. I figured the people who asked us knew what was going on and why Paul wasn't hosting Gettin Jiggy this year. To be frank Paul and Dennis I did not feel it was any of my business to come track you down and put you on the spot about why you didn't host your event. Butch and I jumped in with two feet and now are 7 days out from the derby we hope will be a lot of fun for all involved. We have put OUR hearts and souls in to pulling this event off and raising money for Make-A-Wish. Its discouraging to now get on here and see Paul and Dennis at it again with the "where's my attaboy". Guys let the record show that its not me you should be after for your attaboy. Your "sponsors" and friends have even contacted us apologizing on your behalf because they know full well that we didn't have any ill intentions when we said YES we will help. Lets also shine some light on the "copying issue". I typed the rules myself so they are not the same as yours I'm looking at a copy of both right now. Gaming Permits and Insurance I secured with companies that have never worked with you. Out of our 28 sponsors 4 of them sponsored gettin jiggy - they were also the 4 who contact us to help-So you're right its a kids derby that raises $ for Make-A-Wish (we didn't think they should go without) and its on fingerlake other than that we planned it. Again like I've said from the beginning message me, call me, email me with your complaints, if you want to "vent" or want to get the full story on why we are involved. Seriously it is time to MOVE ON and focus on the kids guys not your hurt feelings. Respectfully, Jehnifer

Amen. Thank you Frostbitten.

laughing... geez and i thought we were over this, ive even apologized, once again have a great derby, have fun, its a great cause, your awesome! this thread is a week old now. whatever happened, happened..., whatever. i dont wanna get into particulars with you, i honestly dont care. im sorry if i did, it struck a nerve, no big deal. i didnt start the thread, i angerly jumped in and answered the question. good luck! i hope you have 1000 kids show up!

Default A week old?

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    laughing... geez and i thought we were over this, ive even apologized, once again have a great derby, have fun, its a great cause, your awesome! this thread is a week old now. whatever happened, happened..., whatever. i dont wanna get into particulars with you, i honestly dont care. im sorry if i did, it struck a nerve, no big deal. i didnt start the thread, i angerly jumped in and answered the question. good luck! i hope you have 1000 kids show up!
    Paul, even though your comments on this thread "are a week old" I jumped on here tonight and didn't take me but 2 seconds to find them. So please tell me where else am I accidentally going to encounter your very public "old" fits of anger? This is the first time you have even so much as mentioned the words "apologized". I'll recheck my inbox. I never started this non-sense so its appropriate that you are finally putting an end to what you and Dennis started. -Jehn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast