Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best salmon fly reel

Default Best salmon fly reel

Last summer i burnt out the drag on my Ross vexus reel for reds. Looking for a reel that is "designed" for reds that i can put on my 9wt. A guy at sportsmans reccomend the hokuma reel, seemed like ok quality for about $90. He said that reel is designed to have rhe drag set all the way tight, any ideas or sugestions, personal prefference?
    Thanks!

I couldn't be happier with my Ross CLA's or Fly Logic.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I couldn't be happier with my Ross CLA's or Fly Logic.
    I have a Ross CLA as well, which I agree is awesome. I personally really enjoy my Galvan Torque on my 7wt switch rod. However, both of these reels are a little pricier than $90. If you are looking for a bang for your buck I would highly, highly recommend the Echo Ion. The reel is amazing for the price and the 8/9 and 9/10 models are 99 bucks. Great drag and will handle well for reds on the Kenai. Here is the link if you want to check them out. I also believe there are a few fly shops in Anchorage that carry them as well.

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/r...product_type=2

I use a Ross Vexsus 4 for reds and haven't had a problem with it.

Default Best salmon fly reel

Send that reel back to Ross (3m). They will fix or replace it and get it back to you quickly. I had a vexsis crap out 2 falls ago and was pleased with the customer service I received.

I also have a CLA that I do not like. The plastic drag knob strips and skips when tightened all the way.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I have been using the 8 wt. Okuma on a Lamiglas rod.and love it, no issues and it has a great drag system. No reason to by big name reels unless its a "see what I have" ego thing! The Okuma will do what you want and for a fair price.

Been using a Redington 8wt for the last few years. Have it rebuilt by the factory for $10 every 2-3 years. Cheeper than a Ross,. better quality than Okuma.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunternak View Post
    I have been using the 8 wt. Okuma on a Lamiglas rod.and love it, no issues and it has a great drag system. No reason to by big name reels unless its a "see what I have" ego thing! The Okuma will do what you want and for a fair price.
    Are you using the Helios?

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunternak View Post
    I use to use an Okuma until I fried one of them Steelhead fishing. For the money buy a Lamson. Very nice reels!

ECHO Ion 8/10.

The best $99 you will ever spend on a reel.

Can't go wrong with a Lamson especially their konic model which is the low end but wouldn't trade that for my galvin..that thing will stop a red in it's track.

Okuma SLV, Echo Ion, Lamson Konic or Guru all have great price points and are work horses. You wont go wrong with any of them.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I'd take Danner's advice and send your vexsis back to Ross and have them fix it.

For what it's worth, I love the Lamson reels... I've got Konic, Guru, and Lightspeeds. No complaints about any of them.

FYI - Madison River Fishing Company has Konic 3.5s right now for $99.
    http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

I've heard lots of good things about the Echo Ion... next time I convince myself I need another backup reel that's probably the direction I'll go, just out of curiosity.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I also enjoy my Lamson as well as my Solitude for sockeye. The Solitude reel has an awesome drag for sockeye and kings.

https://solitudereels.com/#
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I'd take Danner's advice and send your vexsis back to Ross and have them fix it.

For what it's worth, I love the Lamson reels... I've got Konic, Guru, and Lightspeeds. No complaints about any of them.

I've heard lots of good things about the Echo Ion... next time I convince myself I need another backup reel that's probably the direction I'll go, just out of curiosity.

Cheers,
    Rich
    That's a great price for that reel...

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post

Cheers,
    Rich
    Rich,
    Tried to rep ya but gotta spread some around first. That really is a good deal on the lamson reels, but also there are 10+ pages of deals on everything fly fishing. That kind of clearance sale is worthy of its own thread. Thanks for sharing.
    Dan
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

MRFC.com can't go wrong there. Why spend full price when there clearance section usually has something I need or don't need is more the case.

If in need of an Echo Ion try here, they are selling the discontinued version. http://www.caddisflyshop.com/echoionflyrods.html

Frostbitten, yes I use the Helios.

If you want a tuff-as-nails tank of a reel, go with the Scientific Anglers System II. Old technology and heavy to boot, but that disc drag is something else. I've landed a lot of tarpon on the larger sizes, and there isn't a salmon alive that can beat the drag on their midsized reels. Prices have dropped a bunch recently.

Hot tip- If you want a buttery smooth drag, dismantle the reel and chuck the drag disc in a drill, then use 1600 emery paper followed by white rosin to polish it.

I've been running the same Abel Anti Reverse in 7wt for almost 10 years now. It works great for sockeye as well as coho, a bit on the pricey side admittedly, but the anti reverse feature sure saves the knuckles, and the drag is rock solid. During sockeye season I'm fishing pretty much everyday, and I've never had a complaint to utter about that reel.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast