Thread: Curiosity about Pop up!

Default Curiosity about Pop up!

I have been on the look out for pop up campers to pull by a SUV, but i have not been able to find very many used ones being sold. Does anyone know of a place to buy them or a person who may be interested in selling them.

Default Curiosity about Pop up!

Perfect Popups in Anchorage. They advertise, or did, on Craigslist.

There tends to be a lot of them listed on Craigslist and in the classifieds every spring and fall. People tend to think of upgrading before the camping season gets going or as it's winding down.

You have probably thought this through but Iíll provide my two cents on pop-ups. I had an old Apache (fiberglass ends, not canvas) pop-up for 20 years. Some negative points: limited useable storage space, set-up and take-down when it is wet out, other then that, it was great. The fiberglass panels clean up well as opposed to canvas problems (mildew, rot, and re-waterproofing). A pop-up is easy pull with small SUV or V-8 car and a great upgrade from the tent. I believe if I were to do it all again, I go into the ultra-lite camper trailer. Pull-over, level and thatís it.

If you have someone who can get on base try the lemon lot there. My wife and I had one for 8 years. Served us well. A startcraft. It was not a canvas top one. It had some kind of vynil on the popouts. Never leaked. It was a high and dry spot for many years. 2 burner stove that slide to the outside to for cooking. Forced air heat. Only used it once. I was an easy tow too behind by half ton. It was a huge upgrade from a tent. Saying that 2 years ago we bought a Keystone Hideout. a VERY great upgrade. For all the cold weather fishing I do it is amazing. Best part. Momma dont have to leave to go poddy. there are pros and cons for both. PM me if you want more info.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I went through the pop up phase as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret it as it served its purpose but wilth wet summers in Alaska, I was quick to get rid of mine, not that it leaked, but it really sucks in wet weather when you you have to put them up or take them down. After you take them down in the rain, you better put it back up and dry it within a few days or mildew will set up camp. They really are just a stage above a tent. I had a nice Viking with plenty of storage in a front compartment which was nice but if I had to do it all over with a Pop Up, I would look at the Style that Sportsmans Sells. Basically just a tent on wheels, but you have great options to bring an ATV or lots of wood or kids toys along as well. You can use a small heater, propane stove etc and be just as comfortable.

Myself, knowing what I know now, I would just have bit the bullet early and bought a hard sided travel trailer or RV. I like an RV with kids. Yeah the mileage sucks, but your kids and wife are happy, everyone has space and you can drive down the road while everyone else is happy instead of having a bored child in a seat belt in a crouded back seat getting on everyones nerves. In an RV, Kids can play games, Momma can make you a sandwich or get you something out of the fridge without having to stop and pull over not to mention access to a bathroom. There are alot of used machines out there in the Brand New Pop Up price range that will keep everyone happy. If you go used, check your plumbing, fridge and heater over well. That is were it will nickle and dime you if you have issues. The day I knew I had made the right decision was when I was trying to leave Whittier and there was an emergency tunnel closure and then it started to rain like no tommorrow. We cooked dinner, played games and had a blast while everyone else in line for 3 hours were not so cozy.

Remember, Happy Wife= Happy Life

Agreed with Chico. Never owned a pop-up, but went camping with families who did. The amount it rains around here it would be a pain. I started off with an older 21 ft Nomad and it served the family well for a few years. You can find older trailer for a couple grand.