Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unloading my Uhaul & Buying a Truck

Default Unloading my Uhaul & Buying a Truck

Question One: I am curious if anyone can recommend a reliable moving company to help unload my stuff. I will be having some furniture that I cannot do alone! I went onto Moving Help dot com and they recommended Caribou Moving. Has anyone ever heard of them? Thier ratings are ehh.. so I'm not sure if I have to use them as a default to nothing. Is there anyone else you would suggest?

Question Two: I am selling my suv here in CT and would like to get a truck up there. I'm a chick who likes pretty things.. but has some redneck in me... but not enough to tell if I'm going to get ripped off buying a truck. I am fine with an older truck or beater. I would prefer no car payments. Does anyone have any place they would recommend? I am going to go the craigs list route, but here in CT we have auction houses that are reliable and I wasn't sure if there was a place like that in AK or if there is a decent dealership for used cars.

Don't too many people respond now...

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Don't too many people respond now...
    Still early here in ak. Are you going to live in Wasilla? Working nearby or are you going to commute to Anch. area. You must have some sort of housing set up already. If renting call your new landlord and ask for them to help you find some help unloading the u haul.
    Oh for your drive up get a good large thermos for hauling hot water or coffee.

For this kind of labor you can use CL and look for Labor/Move listings in the Services section. There are several that state they will work in Mat-Su. None list a business name so you will have to call the number and then get a name to look up with the BBB or Dept of Commerce to see if they really do have a license.

As for trucks up here you might want to keep your SUV if its paid for or just about paid for. Unless it won't make it on the tow dolley or with a second driver. Otherwise CL is a good place to find a decent used truck. Many dealers from small lots also sell on CL as do many dealers from WA. There are several used car lots in Wasilla to shop at as well as some big dealers. You will pay a small premium for an AWD or 4WD in AK over a blue book value. Expect a couple grand at the most. Private sales will typically be at blue book or less.

Make sure it already comes with an block heater, and for private sales ask if they have a set of studded tires already mounted on rims. Most folks forget about those extra tires when selling a rig.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    For this kind of labor you can use CL and look for Labor/Move listings in the Services section. There are several that state they will work in Mat-Su. None list a business name so you will have to call the number and then get a name to look up with the BBB or Dept of Commerce to see if they really do have a license.

As for trucks up here you might want to keep your SUV if its paid for or just about paid for. Unless it won't make it on the tow dolley or with a second driver. Otherwise CL is a good place to find a decent used truck. Many dealers from small lots also sell on CL as do many dealers from WA. There are several used car lots in Wasilla to shop at as well as some big dealers. You will pay a small premium for an AWD or 4WD in AK over a blue book value. Expect a couple grand at the most. Private sales will typically be at blue book or less.

Make sure it already comes with an block heater, and for private sales ask if they have a set of studded tires already mounted on rims. Most folks forget about those extra tires when selling a rig.
    My SUV is small. I would really prefer a bigger truck. Plus I really don't want the payments anymore. I still have a couple years left. Doesn't seem worth it to me. I'm debating looking for a truck out in Montana when I am there and getting a trailer for it. Just concered about driving a truck with another truck on a trailer through the snowy AK Highway. I drive on Snow, but I'm not the most experienced driver doing it. I am a bit scared.

Thanks for letting me know about the block heater and the studded tires!

Quote Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
    Still early here in ak. Are you going to live in Wasilla? Working nearby or are you going to commute to Anch. area. You must have some sort of housing set up already. If renting call your new landlord and ask for them to help you find some help unloading the u haul.
    Oh for your drive up get a good large thermos for hauling hot water or coffee.
    I'm all set with my winter check list for driving! Thanks for the tip. My landlord doesn't really know anyone. I've already I asked.

Avoid Lithia like the plague.....

CL is your friend.

BK

Front wheel or all wheel drive small SUV's rock for AK! I love my big crew cab long bed truck but AK is huge and the fuel costs much more than down south so that truck sits home most of the time. A 26-30+ mpg SUV will give you a lot of freedom vs a truck when considering that none of the major destinations are close to each other. A weekend fishing trip to some of the areas I go runs over $100 in fuel before I ever pull forward and start to fill up the boat! Twice last season I made the wife drive my big truck to work so I could use her car to go hunting. I will be looking for a cheap quality small SUV when I get back home this summer to get my family out for adventures.

One thing worth noting is that any rear wheel drive SUV or truck will lose a lot of value in AK. They are nearly impossible to sell. Front wheel drive is perfect for getting around safely but as was mentioned previously All Wheel Drive and 4x4 pull a bit of a premium. AWD/4x4 rigs can frequently be purchased down south then driven up and sold at a profit. I know one guy that flies south every year and buys a big used diesel truck along with a 26' enclosed trailer. He shops craigslist and along his route and loads the big trailer up with all kinds of stuff. Drives it all back up to AK and sells it making a profit off of every bit of it!

Default unload on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    I wouldn't go with licensed movers unless your rembrandt and picasso's need extra care (and insurance) to be moved.

Last time I moved, I put an ad on CL offering cash, stating the exact hours & approx location & that workers need own transportation to/from. Make sure your voice mail works, then turn your phone off and let that CL ad run for an hour. Now go kill the CL ad & cherry pick among the top 1/3 contenders in your voicemail, get their cell #s, hire 20% more help than you need, and then enjoy. Get unloaded for cheap without killing yourself.

I think it was 12/hr I offered, and I was overrun with calls. We completely loaded a 22 foot uhaul in about 2 1/2 hours; I paid my help the 4 hours wage I'd promised.

Default Use your redneck ingenuity!

Shoot... Offer up a case of beer, few pizzas and a bonfire for afterwords and you could probably convince a half-dozen or so Valley AOD Members here to help you out! Any redneck or even partial redneck should know this?!?!?!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Shoot... Offer up a case of beer, few pizzas and a bonfire for afterwords and you could probably convince a half-dozen or so Valley AOD Members here to help you out! Any redneck or even partial redneck should know this?!?!?!
    Sooo... whatcha doing around the first of Feb...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I wouldn't go with licensed movers unless your rembrandt and picasso's need extra care (and insurance) to be moved.

Last time I moved, I put an ad on CL offering cash, stating the exact hours & approx location & that workers need own transportation to/from. Make sure your voice mail works, then turn your phone off and let that CL ad run for an hour. Now go kill the CL ad & cherry pick among the top 1/3 contenders in your voicemail, get their cell #s, hire 20% more help than you need, and then enjoy. Get unloaded for cheap without killing yourself.

I think it was 12/hr I offered, and I was overrun with calls. We completely loaded a 22 foot uhaul in about 2 1/2 hours; I paid my help the 4 hours wage I'd promised.
    This was awesome! I have a girlfriend who is having a hard time find guys to help her move and she's at her whit's end! I gave her this suggestion and she's going to do it tomorrow. Thanks!

The only hesitation I have is.. I am a single woman in a cabin out in the woods. How many people do I really want to know this and exactly where I live?

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Avoid Lithia like the plague.....

CL is your friend.

BK
    Yes.. It seems CL is the lifeblood for AK. Thanks for the advice!

Yea.. I hear that. My goal though is to be a home body, save money and quit spending it and become a naturalist for the area surrounding me. I want a truck, but I would like the idea of a deterrant to keep me home and explore less. At least for the time being. Right now a I have a car payment that I don't want anymore.

I rented a Toyota Highlander in Wyoming a couple weeks ago, it performed real well, I was driving in the snow at -10 F. Get good tires on what ever you get, I have a Couple GMC Suburbans in Alaska, they do use a lot of fuel, only about 12 MPG but I can haul a lot of gear, or at least 6 friends to go on a halibut charter plus a large ice chest in the back to hold the catch. In any season in Alaska you might need 4 wheel drive to get to your destination. You might try Kendall Auto Mall in Wasilla or Anchorage. I have them do all my service work,(here in Eugene) and they seem to do a great job. I have had my employees drive my rigs up, it cost me about $3,000.00 per rig. That includes; fuel, food, lodging and return flight. I would not tow a rig behind a Uhaul in the winter up from the lower 48, the cost of extra fuel and the risk would be to much for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    The only hesitation I have is.. I am a single woman in a cabin out in the woods. How many people do I really want to know this and exactly where I live?
    Good point. You might want to get references in advance, and actually check them. Or have a friend be your fake husband/brother/whatever for that day. I would not doubt that some might use CL jobs to scope out places to return to and do bad. Be careful. Most all here in Alaska will be helpful, but there are crazies everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Good point. You might want to get references in advance, and actually check them. Or have a friend be your fake husband/brother/whatever for that day. I would not doubt that some might use CL jobs to scope out places to return to and do bad. Be careful. Most all here in Alaska will be helpful, but there are crazies everywhere.
    I have no friends up in AK! So sad. I don't know anyone yet. That's why I am on this site! I think I might want to stick with a mover for the time being. Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I rented a Toyota Highlander in Wyoming a couple weeks ago, it performed real well, I was driving in the snow at -10 F. Get good tires on what ever you get, I have a Couple GMC Suburbans in Alaska, they do use a lot of fuel, only about 12 MPG but I can haul a lot of gear, or at least 6 friends to go on a halibut charter plus a large ice chest in the back to hold the catch. In any season in Alaska you might need 4 wheel drive to get to your destination. You might try Kendall Auto Mall in Wasilla or Anchorage. I have them do all my service work,(here in Eugene) and they seem to do a great job. I have had my employees drive my rigs up, it cost me about $3,000.00 per rig. That includes; fuel, food, lodging and return flight. I would not tow a rig behind a Uhaul in the winter up from the lower 48, the cost of extra fuel and the risk would be to much for my liking.
    I don't really care what I get as long as:
    it works
    it's a truck
    it keeps me warm
    it gets me from place to place
    it's a truck

alaskaslist.com was good for us buying a truck. seems like there are a few less crazies on that list versus craigslist.

are you staying in anchorage for a couple of months first, or are you going directly out to the cabin?
    Fly fishing makes me herl

Quote Originally Posted by etdvm View Post
    alaskaslist.com was good for us buying a truck. seems like there are a few less crazies on that list versus craigslist.

are you staying in anchorage for a couple of months first, or are you going directly out to the cabin?
    Going directly to the cabin. It's ready for me. I'll check out this list. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast