Thread: Dream Trip in June '13

Default Dream Trip in June '13

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine and I are deploying to Afghanistan in April and May. One of the perks is we will get 7-10 days of post-deployment recovery time, but it has to be used in Alaska.

I have only been in Alaska for about a year, so I am looking for some advice. We want to hear what some of your dream trips would be and maybe why. Our budget will probably be right around $1000 each for airfare. Our thought is to fly out somewhere to packraft / camp / and fly fish. We have all the gear so it is just a matter of coming up with a cool idea on a place to go. We are not really looking for any honey holes, but rather an idea/river that would be good in June to experience an exciting part of Alaska. Thanks for any thoughts.

So the questions is:
    ** If you could go on any trip in the state for 7-10 days in the beginning of June, where would you go?

The trout opener is June 8th out west (Bristol bay) and June 11th in SC.

I would pm Danattherock here on the board, he has quite a bit of experience researching and floating the rivers of AK.

Look into the Alagnak River, Katmai Nat'l Park. Its an easy D-I-Y kinda trip and the 'bows will be feisty that time of year... crushing smolt/leeches on the swing and slurping topwater mice in side channels. There's a few lodges in the area so you if you get into a pickle out there you'll be able to find some help in a hurry... something to consider if you have limited experience in Alaskan wilderness.... Plenty of water to fish if you take your time on the float. Affordable bush flights via Anchorage, Soldotna, or King Salmon.

Thank you for your service and good luck!

Or use miles, fly to POW, rent a car, fish trout, dollies, and hopefully sockeye. Then take 2 or 3 days to charter out of Craig and crush Kings!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Give me a gingle or email, I will give you a deal for the service you have/will give our country.

907.980.1780 or info@blueberryislandlodge.com

George

Just between you me and the fence post you should take G.R. up on his offer you will not find better services or fishing and well Mr. Riddle is an outstanding person so a win win win situation for you.

Best of luck in your choices.

RMM
    BMR

Agreed on Mr Riddle, I would like to head that way sometime myself.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I will definitely check out all the options. I really appreciate it.

i would want to go out west pretty much any where. But George is a good place to start, has his own place or maybe could at least get you where you want to go.