Thread: Dream Trip in June '13

Default Dream Trip in June '13

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine and I are deploying to Afghanistan in April and May. One of the perks is we will get 7-10 days of post-deployment recovery time, but it has to be used in Alaska.

I have only been in Alaska for about a year, so I am looking for some advice. We want to hear what some of your dream trips would be and maybe why. Our budget will probably be right around $1000 each for airfare. Our thought is to fly out somewhere to packraft / camp / and fly fish. We have all the gear so it is just a matter of coming up with a cool idea on a place to go. We are not really looking for any honey holes, but rather an idea/river that would be good in June to experience an exciting part of Alaska. Thanks for any thoughts.

So the questions is:
    ** If you could go on any trip in the state for 7-10 days in the beginning of June, where would you go?

Hopefully you are planning towards the end of June. Some rivers will still have ice flows or aufies earlier in the month.

If it's just for fishing like you mentioned, then I'd probably fish the Illiamna area for trophy rainbows. Maybe research the Newhalen river. I still drool over a newspaper clipping of a 27 pound rainbow that I know came from that area.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You might want to check out some of the trips Brian offers: http://alaskaraftconnection.com/ give him a call and see what he can hook you up for.

Birch Creek, northeast of Fairbanks, would be my choice for a 7-10 day trip. But not before the middle of June. Fly in-out not needed.

Good option Jim might even be a little exciting with higher water Mid June. Beave is also an option with a drive in and fly out. As much as I don't like sharing my Middle Fork it would be a great option I have mentioned it a couple of times always passed up for more of the Yatatata trips.

A great trip Middle Fork of the Gulkana wait till about 15 June etc.. a week or so after ice out. Flight in is cheaper than most pull out road access via Sourdough Landing solid 7-10 day float early means higher water can be tricky some years i.e. logs and rocks but still a very viable option.

I really do like the Birch option Jim mentioned as well.

Best of Luck with your choice and thank you for your service

RMM
    BMR

The CHARLIE is also a good fly in-float-out. With light gear, nice hiking, and fun clear water. Just another option-- Have fun where ever you go!!! Thanks much for your service to our country!! And my thoughts and prayers are with you!
    Goo

Plus 1 on the Charlie as well with Goeaux lots of options to include some extra fun on the Yukon if you are willing to make the commitment. Get with 40 Mile Air in Tok eh. I would point out the Charlie can be a little tricky compared to some options so if you choose it do some homework might be a little more than you might be looking for in Mid June depending on water levels and run off. Still all and all a great option. Thanks for sharing G.

Default Trip

If you are a solid class III- IV boater the Happy will treat you to many great sights, plan on a solid week if you hike off of the river, which you should do. There are also great side tribs which have been boated too, Glacier Creek(class IV-IV+. I did the whole 89 miles in 4 easy days.
    The Kennicot Nizina is good for class II-III boaters and takes several days if you mill around your campsites, it's about 70 miles, I did it in two partial days, which required one nights camping, you could take several days.

If you guys have packrafts, and can use them, I would not do one stream, but many.

For example; start at Paxson, Denali Highway, warm up on the upper Gulkana (class II-III-), drive 20 miles, hit Rock Creek(class II- IV-), up the road, by the big Su, you have Valdez (IV) and Windy III-III+), then comes Brushkana, (II+), and Well's has been boated(?), you end up in Cantwell at another Windy, (II). From there you can catch the Bull (III+) 20 miles away, or drive about 50 miles and catch the classic Honolulu Creek( II-IV+)
    Anyway, thats how we use packrafts in AK and you could easily do something like this with your timeframe, and... this would be way more fun for guys, who like alittle excitement but have no wish to die. Easy logistics, easy on the wallet, and all but Valdez are pretty easy streams, per say, depending on water levels of course, Windy may get alittle tricky too.
    My two cents. Oh BTW, the greyling fishing is devestating off the road. Look at Brushkana River youtube, I took my kids down a few times fishing, slinging metal, and always catch over a 100 fish, easily. Oops, forgot the 2-3 day Delta River trip by Tangle Lakes, before Rock Creek (class II), if you do canyon, portage falls, or run them at favorable flows, mostly (class III). Great fishing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    You might want to check out some of the trips Brian offers: http://alaskaraftconnection.com/ give him a call and see what he can hook you up for.
    Hello Birdstrike, thank you for mentioning my services regarding dream float trip inquiry - always very much appreciated.
    I agree that early June for 2013 may be an issue in some places with the generally increased ice thickness over this winter, potential lethargic fish activity, and more importantly the put-ins still ice-slurry for several fy-outs that fit their perspective price-range.

"Hey guys,

A buddy of mine and I are deploying to Afghanistan in April and May. One of the perks is we will get 7-10 days of post-deployment recovery time, but it has to be used in Alaska.

I have only been in Alaska for about a year, so I am looking for some advice. We want to hear what some of your dream trips would be and maybe why. Our budget will probably be right around $1000 each for airfare. Our thought is to fly out somewhere to packraft / camp / and fly fish. We have all the gear so it is just a matter of coming up with a cool idea on a place to go. We are not really looking for any honey holes, but rather an idea/river that would be good in June to experience an exciting part of Alaska. Thanks for any thoughts.

So the questions is:
    ** If you could go on any trip in the state for 7-10 days in the beginning of June, where would you go?"

That said... yes, I know several very good selections. Questions I'd have are your overall river skill-sets, what equipment have you, are you familiar with remote fly-out floats (logistics, self reliance, contingencies, etc.), plus what kind of flyfishing (just catching some fish or targeting trophy-size and of what species)...?

There are idealistic dream trips and there are realistic float destinations based on skills, gear selection, affordability, and fishing expectations. Your best trip solution is likely someplace between ideal and real.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. These all look like great options worth checking in to. I will discuss them more with my buddy and then get back with you.