Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a marten!

Default Finally got a marten!

Well, I counted 45 sets of rabbit/marten/ermine tracks in the 1 mile to my property, and I finally got one!!! Odd thing is that we ran out of bait last week and had one trap left, so I just set it with no bait, and this guy was in it today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marten 2.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	66940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marten 1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	66939

Awesome! Such cool animals!

great job! gotta love catches near home!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Well, I wish it was that easy. I actually live in Anchorage but own 10 acres in Talkeetna. I am just getting some time in learning the ropes to get back into trapping since I haven't done it in years.

In the next year or two, I hope to put in a walking line out near one of the lakes or runways closer to Mt Susitna, and maybe fly out every few days to check it.

Thanks for the compliment! I am trying to decide on tanning it and keeping it since it was a first or selling it. I am already keeping the skull for sure

Name:	marten 4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	66944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marten 5.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	66945

And here's the face:

Attachment 66946

Nice job! Those buggers have been few are far between here in the Interior this year. Moved to a new line this year in a new area and had high hopes that the area would produce more marten, but it so far I've only picked up one and haven't seen sign of any others since late Nov. From chatting with some fellow trappers and a bio at ADFG it sounds like many areas in the Interior are experiencing very low marten numbers this, possibly due to extremely poor recruitment from this past summer. I've started pulling some of my marten sets as I don't really want to kill them all off in my area. Hopefully they'll come back strong in the next year or two.

Your put-up looks nice, however.... I couldn't quite tell from your pictures, but it almost looks like you have the belly board on the wrong side. You want to have that on the belly side of the stretcher. I apologize if I'm mistaken, if you are going to get it tanned for yourself it shouldn't matter, but if you sell it you could lose some $$ if it isn't stretched correctly.

On the video I watched, he said to put it on the back side for maximum stretching!

I will go change it now, thanks!

Hmmm, never heard of doing it that way, but I suppose there is always more than one way of doing most things. What was the video you watched?

I see what I did. This guy has it on both sides.

Thanks - I made a makeshift belly board out of a dowling I had here, hop it works okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHJ4G8lwmdU

Beautiful critter - congrats!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Awesome job 907 they are pretty critters for sure. I picked up my first one this year as well and the wife is wanting to sell it so that is what i am doing. She said i need to sell something to pay for all the trapping stuff i have bought this year.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    Awesome job 907 they are pretty critters for sure. I picked up my first one this year as well and the wife is wanting to sell it so that is what i am doing. She said i need to sell something to pay for all the trapping stuff i have bought this year.
    My Princess of 36 years still says that to me too!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default Re: Finally got a marten!

I just got my first one this weekend as well. I guess it its a really rare color, called canary marten. Here's a pic

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    Well, I wish it was that easy. I actually live in Anchorage but own 10 acres in Talkeetna. I am just getting some time in learning the ropes to get back into trapping since I haven't done it in years.

In the next year or two, I hope to put in a walking line out near one of the lakes or runways closer to Mt Susitna, and maybe fly out every few days to check it.

Thanks for the compliment! I am trying to decide on tanning it and keeping it since it was a first or selling it. I am already keeping the skull for sure

Name:	marten 4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	66944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marten 5.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	66945
    907pilot, I would suggest you tan and KEEP it. they'll be many more in the years to come but you'll never get another "first " good luck with your renewed interest and Happy new Yrear.

Wow, that thing is gorgeous! No way would I part with that,Bravo. By the way, with NO bait, how did u set up the trap, Pilot?
    Last edited by cod; 01-07-2013 at 00:17. Reason: clarity
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Bravo did you get that near the ocean? We call them beach marten down here, beautiful critter.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Re: Finally got a marten!

Thanks guys, I was thinking about having it mounted. I picked it up about 10 miles inland from the ocean, and yes I flew there. I am using stinky fish heads for bait, with magnum marten, with the typical box sets on trees. I am going to check the traps again this morning, and will post pictures if I get anything.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Canary's aren't rare you just don't see them as often. I generally see one a year and only get a couple dozen marten on a good year from the country I trap
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Beautiful man, nice work thanks for the info.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Awesome, I'm hoping to make a few sets this year for them. I definitely plan to keep the first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast