Thread: The 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Smile The 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

These past couple of weeks we have laid heavily on our right to free speech and press, yes I know subject to certain forum rules and some censuring but I contend that does not in any way "infringe" on your 1st Amendment rights.

It seems apparent to me that many have never read the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.

The First Amendment says; (From memory here so I'm sure some one will google their wits off the internet and offer corrections)

Congress shall pass no law regarding the establishment of religion, nor the restriction of free speech or free press.

Well, clearly, the 1st Amendment is referring only to religion and speaking and writing about religion.

Writing about religion on this forum is verboten (forum rules which you agreed to) so we do not restrict free speech here.

Actually the Constitution only says Congress shall not restrict free speech or free press.

That same document does also say, just below;

................................, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Infringement comes in many forms but the most restrictive comes from Congress and the Chief Executive.
    Let's not let that happen.

Here's the real McCoy lest some think I cannot read.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy - I am with you Heart, Mind & Body !! It seems pretty darn "SIMPLE" to me the way you write it ..... why do "some" feel the need to make it so complicated ?? "lawyers" maybe ?

I see no tenable argument for any right to free speech, or free anything-else, while you're at someone else's place. It just doesn't sound reasonable. That you have that complaint just means there are some unreasonable people here, as in everywhere else actually.

So Religion will not be infringed, and Religion will have free speech and a free press. The People have the right to peacefully assemble and petition the government.
    That is reading the 1st Amendment the way "they" want to read the second to say only the Militia has the right to bear arms.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    ..."they" want to read the second to say only the Militia has the right to bear arms.
    Mike
    And the militia to them (meaning gun haters of any persuasion), is, of course, part of the Federal Government; the National Guard. That is how they see it.
    In other words, part of the government is supposed to protect us against the government in case the government gets out of control. Something doesn't compute there...

How many times in the last few weeks have we heard someone on TV say "well, people just don't need assault guns"!
    Well, the way I see it, so far I have not "needed" one, but the simple word FREEDOM represents a free persons options to have things they WANT. We are being told more and more at an alarming rate what is good for us and what we need - bull, we are becoming a nation of sheep....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    How many times in the last few weeks have we heard someone on TV say "well, people just don't need assault guns"!
    Well, the way I see it, so far I have not "needed" one, but the simple word FREEDOM represents a free persons options to have things they WANT. We are being told more and more at an alarming rate what is good for us and what we need - bull, we are becoming a nation of sheep....
    Yes, and a nation of sheep begets a government of wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    So Religion will not be infringed, and Religion will have free speech and a free press. The People have the right to peacefully assemble and petition the government.
    That is reading the 1st Amendment the way "they" want to read the second to say only the Militia has the right to bear arms.
    Mike
    Anyone or any State can form their own Militia. Though if you are fighting against your own countries military, I believe you would be labeled rebels or terrorists.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I'd like to hear those same people say, "Well, people just don't need Lifeline (Obama) phones!". Never happen.
    The government giveth, and the government taketh away....

Which of your amendment rights would you prefer to exercise when you see an armed thug come through your front door or shoot through the front door of the school house where your first grader is in class?

A. Your first amendment rights of free speech and call the police on your free lifeline phone.

B. Your second amendment rights to keep and bear arms and dump a load of #4 buckshot in the thorax of the thug.

Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?