Thread: Bread for Bait

Default Bread for Bait

Has anyone everyone used bread for bear bait. Does it work?

I have used bread, along with stale donuts.. seems to work pretty well. have a attractant, I use to hang a cloth driping in vanilla and anise in a tree blowing in the wind, you can smell that a 1/4 mile away,

But yu know what seem to keep them coming back, was bags of jelly beans, and maple syrup.. cheap stuff is like a dollar a bottle

I've used bread with good results. I like popcorn because you can carry a a huge yard bag full of it for miles with really no weight. I also go to Sam's Club and get a bottle of concentrated vanilla extract to put on. It worked good last year.
    Matt

TIP: dry the bread out first. One it makes it alot lighter to carry and second if it gets molded the bears won't mess with it. I lay the brea out on a tarp in the garage for a couple of days. Witht he bread I used honey and other sweet stuff.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Thanks

I Am Sorta Baffled By What Is Happening In My Stand. I Had A Rather Large Brown Bear Coming In For Awhile. He Would Rip My Barrel Down And Eat Everything There. Now It Seems That He Has Moved On. Now I Have The Barrel With Three Smaller 5 Gal Buckets Full. The 5 Gal Buckets Have Been Getting Eaten But The 55 Gal Drum Has Yet To Be Touched In A Week. I Do Have Squirrels Around And I Am Not Sure If They Are Eating It Out Of The 5 Gal Buckets Or Not. I Just Can't See A Little Squirrel Eating So Much. Which Brings Another Good Point That Alaska Gray Mentioned. The Bread In The 55 Gal Drum Is Molding Together Due To The Amount Of Syrup I Placed In There. So I Am Not Sure What Route To Take. Last Night I Soaked Rags In Vanilla And Hung Them In The Trees. I Sure Appreciate Everyones Input.

Scooter

Cross,

I have sat in my stand and watched those dang squirrels nearly clear me out. They don't eat it, they go and stash it. I have heard that once a brownie comes in and gets your bait, that blacks won't go near it..

Default squirrels

Squirrels = sling shot or judo points.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default cheap syrup

is equal amounts of this:

1-cup white sugar
    1-cup brown sugar
    1-cup water

stir together in pot and you have home made maple syrup. Family recipe from way back. Man that stuff is good. Excellent with home made pancakes or french toast.

but back the point. just increase numbers equally to make a huge batch. fill milk jugs or 2 liter bottles. Then you can hang in a tree and poke a small hole in and let it drip on to a big rock something so they can come back and lick it. so if you bait runs out that will be there for a while to keep them occupied.

Has anyone tried black oil sunflower seeds? I know they have problems with blackies getting into the bird feeders around town. Maybe it would work at a bait station too?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....