Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a boat up here from WA

Default Getting a boat up here from WA

I wanted to ask on here if anyone is travelling in the future from Washington to Alaska and could transport a boat. Found one I like in Bellingham with a new engine and outdrive but the transport costs are killer. Looked into private carriers and the ferry and they are both pretty steep. Thought I'd throw it out on here if someone is comming up empty and needs some money for fuel. Boat is a bayliner 2452. Boat with trailer is 30 ft long, 9 wide and 11.5 high. Weight is 6500 lbs.

Thanks

I went through this same thing a few years ago. Ended up barging my boat up and just paying the cost. The ferry was a cheaper at the time but it was booked up months into the future (don't know what the wait is now but would guess it is about the same). There was a post about a guy who attempted to trailer his boat up last year and it was a tale of breakdowns and leaving his boat on the side of the road until he could get replacement parts for the trailer. It's a long drive with some pretty nasty sections but it can definately be done and has been by lots of folks. I would just make sure that your trailer is in perfect condition, the boat is tied down with heavy duty straps, you have spare bearings/parts etc and a couple of spare tires. I never looked into finding someone else to drive mine up. You might want to look into the insurance issues and also taking a boat registered in someone else's name over the boarder. I used Lyden and was happy with the service.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Cheapest way is to drive down and tow it back. The highway for the most part has better roads than we do in Alaska except for the last 50 miles before the US border coming north. But wait till spring and snow free roads. There is no way I would haul a boat that large during the winter months. I've made about 6 round trips in the last 10 years and only had one flat tire, but stuff happens.

It can be a nightmare paying someone to haul it up for you. If the trailer breaks down who will foot the bill for the drivers food and hotel expenses while they wait for it to be fixed? Who will pay for the parts? Either you are paying for their expenses or they leave the rig in the middle of nowhere.

Pay to have it shipped or wait till spring and drive down to get it yourself.

Wasn't there a guy here from Fairbanks that hired someone to tow his boat up and the trailer broke. The folks he hired walked away and he had to go down (to Whitehorse??) and bring it back up himself. Big pain in the ***** and cost him double if had just towed it up himself or loaded it on the ferry/barge.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I think that is the post that I remembered too. The post was asking for help when his trailer broke down and were left out in the middle of nowhere by the guy he had paid to drive it up. I would be concerned about a phone call in the middle of the night telling me that the tow rig had just hit a moose and my boat and trailer were sitting by the side of the road 150 miles from Whitehorse and what did I want to do now. As Money Pit advised either pay to have it barged up or wait till spring and drive down and tow it back. Although when I did the math on that between the gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, hotel and food the barge option didn't looks so out of whack...

Good advice above. I brought mine up myself in May '08 and TriIron is right about that 50 miles before the border. if your driver isn't really cautious (read slow!) going through that section, all kinds of bad things can happen to your boat, trailer or both, and some of them you might not find out about right away. I second Money Pit's advice to go get it yourself if you can or have it shipped. I also barged one up in '82 which can be a logistics challenge unless you're there to make sure everything is secured properly (my 26 Tolly had a bow plug I didn't know about and the boat was full of water over the forward floor boards when it arrived). Only doing it yourself or with others that do this regularly can you be sure it's been taken care of properly. There are lots of posts on this subject like the one mentioned last year so do a search and hope you find a solution to getting your new boat up here safe and sound.

I brought my Trophy 24' (28' overall) up from Seattle on the ferry 3 years ago and it not only was the cheapest, I was able to pick it up in Whittier. The guy I bought it from put it on the ferry in Bellingham for me.

Default Getting a boat up here from WA

Check with ak logistics. Got my 9'6 wide Parker up from Seattle much cheaper than the rest

The ferry was the cheapest when I got quotes last year from the barge companies, its cheaper to Haines than going to Whittier.
    You can get a quote from the Alaska Marine Highway.......may be slightly cheaper this time of year.
    The road from Haines isnt bad at all, last few before the border can be rough but otherwise a good road.
    But it is isolated, so be prepared to take care of what could breakdown, best to do that before you leave Haines.

There are bargains if you have the time to work out the logistics and make it happen, I ended up buying a boat out of Sitka as it just didnt make sense spending several grand to get a boat up here, at least for what I was planning to spend............ IMO........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Alaska Logistics is the least expensive barge option, but they don't run again until April or so. I tried uship.com and thought it would work out to have it hauled up but that was a fiasco and the boat remains in Seattle. So, my take is that you should either drive it yourself, have someone you know & trust drive it up or suck it up and pay for the barge.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default samson tug and barge

Crunch the numbers and samson comes out as the best bet, over $10,000 to get my 34 footer to kodiak island. Figure towing it yourself and then figure the cost of a break down or accident and insurance, plus fuel, hotels, meals, ferry from homer to Kodiak for the trailer( I was going to boat from Homer to kodiak)etc verses paying a company that is insured and experienced.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Bayliner 2452 is a fairly common boat (read cheap) up here and are often for sale at desperation prices (read cheap). You could probably come out ahead by buying something local and putting the tow/transport money into engine and outdrive or other amenities. Just my 2 cents.

I second what Kasitsnabay said, that bayliner is not a high end as compaired to what can happen on the trip that would come out of your pocket. That is also a large boat to haul anytime soon. The good deal you may get now might turn out to be a nightmare if something happened along the way to your home up here.
    good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

My wife tells me that there is going to be a sweet SeaSport for sale next spring. No barge needed and no towing from Washington...

If "no nothing" tourists drive up here pulling big 5th wheels and travel trailers and boats and Lord knows what else, I would think a typical Alaskan boater would have no trouble pulling a 24' Bayliner up here as long as he uses common sense and has a roll of duct tape with him. Bud
    Wasilla

I would NOT let a tourist drag my "girl" up here for obvious reason stated in the earlier posts. Especially a glass hull boat, you want someone trustworthy who cares for it like you do.
    I shipped a couple boats up in the past and by far the best is the ferry or barge. Latest was 5500# airboat in the avatar and it was $2400- from dock to dock, picked it up in Anchorage. Seller hauled it to Bellingham as part of the deal.
    Ferry is cheaper but often booked months in advance as stated by others.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Crunch the numbers and samson comes out as the best bet, over $10,000 to get my 34 footer to kodiak island. Figure towing it yourself and then figure the cost of a break down or accident and insurance, plus fuel, hotels, meals, ferry from homer to Kodiak for the trailer( I was going to boat from Homer to kodiak)etc verses paying a company that is insured and experienced.
    For my boat (27 x 10) Alaska Logistics came in at $5k, Samson was closer to $7,500.

What about the Lynden barge to Skagway or Haines, then making the drive down to there and get it?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I would NOT let a tourist drag my "girl" up here for obvious reason stated in the earlier posts. Especially a glass hull boat, you want someone trustworthy who cares for it like you do.
    BK
    Not what he was suggesting.

Gotcha...
    BK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast