Thread: Big Lake Char

Default Big Lake Char

​Had some success from Burn Point on Big Lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

way cool!!
    "f/64 and be there"

My day today on Big Lake. 3 fish in about 2.5 hours. 20 inch Char, a 18 inch rainbow, and the last fish of the day was a beautiful 24+ inch char.

Got the final fish on underwater video striking the jig. I might have the others but need to look through the video.

Awesome vid! Makes me think I need to bring my go pro with me when I fish.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Great Video! Thanks

Great video. Thanks for posting. Congrats on the big day on Big lake.

Sweet day Kardinal thanks for sharing

Cool video. Nice fish!

awesome dude!!!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Default Big Lake Char

Yep, sometimes it takes all day to get a strike but it's always worth it! Cool video!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    My day today on Big Lake. 3 fish in about 2.5 hours. 20 inch Char, a 18 inch rainbow, and the last fish of the day was a beautiful 24+ inch char.

Got the final fish on underwater video striking the jig. I might have the others but need to look through the video.

That was an awesome video. That was the best fishing go pro video I've seen all year. Good job. Makes me want to go hit Big lake. What was the lure you were using on the char?

That is one nice looking char! Thanks for the share.

What were you using to get your go pro down there and to stay there? That was a cool video, and we've talked about doing just that, but haven't. That was really cool though!

Quote Originally Posted by J2theD View Post
    What were you using to get your go pro down there and to stay there? That was a cool video, and we've talked about doing just that, but haven't. That was really cool though!
    Thanks! Glad everyone liked it.

To answer a few questions, the big char came on the home tied jig at the end of the video. Usually I fish the jig or a rubber minnow under a 000 size dodger ( I think, a small one). Best example I have you can see at http://alaskafishinglogs.com/winter20012002.htm I think many of the pics you can click on and enlarge. You don't have to, but you'll hook more fish if you are sight fishing this set up. The small jig and larger dodger make it a littler harder to feel a hit. I just don' like fishing in a huge (or Big) Lake using a tiny jig. The only reason I had it down was I saw a few smaller fish cruise by and ignore my spoon. I also have a few underwater examples on my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/guidesak ...and I am not a guide despite the url) if you scroll back to last winter. They aren't as clear as this one because I was still using a first generation gopro.

The big spoon in the video is a 4.5 inch "Big Doctor" spoon. I've used the huge saltwater krockadile spoons that I think were 5oz and caught fish. They are just too heavy to fish all day. I've caught everything from 8 inch landlocked salmon to the big fish on spoons this size or bigger.

I have been trying two different setups for getting the gopro down. Last year I used the "electrical box" stand attached to a line. You had to fish shallow since you had to see the camera to make sure it was pointed the right way.

In this video I used a pvc pipe held together by bungie cords running down the middle of them. Then I mounted the gopro on a "rail" mount. It's a great mount because it works great on a boat or on a net. You can even put it on a small stick or pvc pipe to film yourself.

There is no way to know for sure, but after trying this for a while, I will say that I think I get substantially fewer hits when I have the camera down. But who knows, then you have days like on this video. This clip made me look good. I finally reviewed 2 hours of underwater footage and this was basically it.

Also if you are serious about shooting underwater, I would highly recommend a flat lens housing. If you are interested, take a look at my older under water videos and notice the vignetting (edges darkening) on my older videos. Its because I used the wide angle lens.

I will say, shooting the video and everything I just said is about 5% of the battle. Catching the fish is another 5% of the battle. The other 90% is sheer luck in getting the fish to cooperate in front of the camera and equal part the time it takes to review and edit the hours of footage. I take several extra batteries. I use 16 gig SD cards. They seem to hold about one batteries worth of videos which even in the cold water I can get 2 hours plus. I think more than anything its the ability to constantly shoot video (especially in cold weather) that makes the gopro superior to the others I have tried. You get some really cool stuff like last year when I almost lost a rod to a huge burbot...and I did lose a rod (that I fished out).

Well there you have my "secrets" lol. Sorry for the novel but I'd love to see more people give it a go.

Oh here are my current prototypes...

ice camera 2.jpg

Thanks for the advice on the go pro. I want to give it a shot. I have been fishing lately with big schools of fish swimming below the hole, and I would like to get them on video. I was thinking about getting a vexilar FL20 scout with the underwater camera. But the go pro seems to be a much cheaper option since I already own one.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!