Thread: Alpacka Rafts and Fishing Alaska

Default Alpacka Rafts and Fishing Alaska

Hello All,

I'm new to the list, new to fly fishing, and have never been to Alaska. I would like to start researching a trip to Alaska for fly fishing (mainly interested in trout). One thing I have come across is the packable rafts from Alpacka. Has anyone had any experience with using these rafts and backpacking to find remote fishing streams? Is the Bristol Bay area "THE" place to go for fly fishing for trout in Alaska? Are there any good books that focus on remote stream and river fishing for trout in Alaska? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Default Better Choices

Dedge,

The Alpacka rafts were originally designed specifically for the Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic Race, an insanely difficult race over trackless Alaska wilderness, involving long-distance trekking, cross-country running over very rough terrain, mountain climbing, river rafting... whatever it takes to get from point A to point B as rapidly as possible. There are no roads, and motorized vehicles of any kind are prohibited. Everything you need for the trip has to go on your back, and you are not allowed to abandon any gear along the way, or cache anything before hand. Last years' race was 160 miles, and the winner did it in 1 day, 23 hours and 29 minutes. The whole point of the Alpacka boat was to create something light enough (4-5 lbs.) that someone could carry it in their pack the whole distance, using it as needed. I've spoken several times with the owner and designer of these boats (Sherri Tingey), and they're perfect for their intended purpose.

In the most general sense, this is not a fishing boat. Yes, it does float. If that is your only requirement, go for it. But if I were going fishing anywhere in Alaska, especially if I were flying, I'd take something a little more robust and less likely to be punctured. The Alpacka is made of pure urethane membrane; a tough material in its own right, but not what you want among the beaver punji sticks and such.

I have mentioned them as an option for floating sheep meat out and such, but I wouldn't be comfortable using one as a primary boat on a remote trip. Some people do it, but I'm just not comfortable recommending it for that purpose. I don't know you or your skill level. Probably in the right hands it might be okay, but...

Your call...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay