Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Mountain Range to Sheep Hunt In?

Default Favorite Mountain Range to Sheep Hunt In?

Considering all aspects (trophy potential, scenery, proximity, cost, likely weather, not seeing other hunters, etc.), what's your favorite AK mountain range to hunt in for sheep, and why?

I've hunted the Chugach (unsuccessful) and Alaska Range (successful), so of the two and based on being completely wet for a week straight in the Chugach, I prefer the Alaska Range. I would like to try the Wrangells in the near future if I don't get drawn next month.

(Hidden agenda here: I think I need a minimum number of posts to attach pictures to my write-up on my DCUA ram that I did, and I hope to accomplish that through this thread. Anyone know what that minimum number is?).

Default Favorite Mountain Range to Sheep Hunt In?

I believe you should be good to go for pics now. Best bet for posting a bunch of them is to use photobucket or one of the other photo hosting sites then just paste the [img] code from that site in the text box where you want the picture to appear.

My favorite is whatever range I happen to be hunting in next, or at that time.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    My favorite is whatever range I happen to be hunting in next, or at that time.

cant beat that answer...

I love hunting in the Wrangles. I hate being harassed by a transporter/guide in area that thinks that a large portion of the range belongs to him and his 9 guides. Nothing is worse than hiking for 22 hours and then being harassed for three consecutive days with the fly by's and then landing where the rams once were. He's a great pilot, I have pictures to prove it. If you PM me I'll tell you where to NOT go so you don't have the same fate as me. I would turn him in but I've been told he's above the law and he doesn't get into trouble. I'm guessing he feels a responsibility that his client gets a ram since he did pay 25K and travel all they way from LA.

turn him in, every time. no reason commercial businesses should keep residents from enjoying their own state. where you on the south side of the preserve?

i haven't hunted the ak or brooks range, but the photo's tell me i'd like the brooks the best. i don't like trees.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanhidalgo View Post
    I love hunting in the Wrangles. I hate being harassed by a transporter/guide in area that thinks that a large portion of the range belongs to him and his 9 guides. Nothing is worse than hiking for 22 hours and then being harassed for three consecutive days with the fly by's and then landing where the rams once were. He's a great pilot, I have pictures to prove it. If you PM me I'll tell you where to NOT go so you don't have the same fate as me. I would turn him in but I've been told he's above the law and he doesn't get into trouble. I'm guessing he feels a responsibility that his client gets a ram since he did pay 25K and travel all they way from LA.
    I like to think in my mind that every successful DIY trip is a "win" against the "evil" outfitter! I've always thought if I was a client and I paid a lot of money to come to the wilds of AK to hunt I would be pissed to see other people.

So now I try to piss in their cheerios.

How can you expect this behavior to stop if you don't turn him in. Seriously I an so sick of hearing about the guides did this the guides did that in every sheep thread. Turn them in, take video and turn it over to the troopers or FAA or the media for that matter. No one has the right to harass another hunter, guide or no guide. And residents are no better. I know guides that have been spit at, called Bambi killers and you name it...and yes I mean in Alaska. I guide and have on many an ocassion run into resident hunters and have never had anything but a positive experience with them. How can things change or even expect to be changed if no one steps up to the plate. I've been buzzed and simply got on the radio with them and it ended rather quick. Alaskan I don't mean to come down on you at all I just get frustrated with this issue as the bad ones give the good ones a bad rep that is just simply not deserved

Bear,

Just so you know, I did bring up the information to the troopers in Palmer and the response was simply, "yeah, we've had concerns before." That was basically the end of the conversation for me because they weren't interested in the pilot because he's employed by them. How in the world can anyone count sheep for the state and then guide in the same area and not have it a conflict of interest? Anyway, to be fair to the guide and client, they were respectful and a delight to share a "moment with" while on the mountian. The transporter appears to be untouchable. Has anyone ever heard of any transporter getting in trouble for this type of behavior?

Bear,

Just so you know, I did bring up the information to the troopers in Palmer and the response was simply, "yeah, we've had concerns before." That was basically the end of the conversation for me because they weren't interested in the pilot because he's employed by them. How in the world can anyone count sheep for the state and then guide in the same area and not have it a conflict of interest? Anyway, to be fair to the guide and client, they were respectful and a delight to share a "moment with" while on the mountian. The transporter appears to be untouchable. Has anyone ever heard of any transporter getting in trouble for this type of behavior?
    I do hear ya for sure and apologize if it seem that I am coming down on you.

Op hunt me all, all the ranges hold something special as far as I am concerned

BRWNBR,

Yes, I hunt the Southern part of the Elias area. It's rugged and beautiful at the same time. Your comment is funny about commercial businesses not keeping residents out......sadly to say, that my pilot made it very clear that that assumption in this area is incorrect when it comes to said transporter. The Palmer office turned their cheek, apparently I'm not the only one that's had a concern.

Life goes on boys...I'm going to focus on this years hunt and it will have a better outcome than 2012.

Bear,

No worries. Everyone has had bad experiences. I'll have a better year in 2013.

might wanna try someone other than the palmer office then...maybe glennallen or fairbanks. i know the guide in question and thats how he rolls.....i guess its working for him.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

i've hunted ak east, ak west, and the brooks on both sides of the haul rd. i've kinda fallen in love with one of the Ak's, but i've only got one hunt in the area i'm speaking of....but there's a bit of a difference so far: there's places in the brooks range that are just super special and game rich...the last hunt i made in the brooks my dad and i saw 14 grizzly bears, hundreds of bull caribou, and over fifty sheep...only two legal rams though. the place in the alaska range i'm speaking of showed me nothing but great sheep country, lots of rams, and one black bear. i'll not be hunting the brooks again anytime soon for sheep...but **** is it neat seeing that many game animals in a short 7 day hunt like my dad and i experienced in 2011! and we did manage to take a legal ram. its hard not to have a grand time in country like that. on the other hand, when i got sheep hunting, it represents the only hunting for myself i get to do (pretty much) due to my guiding work...so i really want to find legal sheep. these days i've left the brooks, and last year had the opportunity to hunt some better quality sheep that were'nt super spooky (something very new to me)...and that sealed the deal for me. the brooks range is special, but for my limited time, i'll be headed back to the ak.

i really want to hunt the chugach and wrangells someday as well...just havent got around to it yet.

Default fix it then

Below is an established avenue for these problems.
    Here is the contact info:

State of Alaska, DCCED
    Division of Corporations, Business & Professional Licensing 550 W. 7th Ave, suite 1500
    Anchorage, AK 99501
    (907) 269-7646 FAX (907) 269-8195

I have used this procedure personally. If the report is baseless/unconfirmed, then don't expect much. (please for the rest of us) Don't waste their time because it takes away from the good work they do.

I have worked for and know some great guys who happen to be guides. The majority are. There are a few turds but report them above and there will be less.

Cheers.
    KA

PS
    Post #7 is a good example of the other side of the coin, friends. Happy New Year, safe travels, I vote for the Alaska Range.
    Last edited by AK-HUNT; 01-03-2013 at 11:45. Reason: someone will cry

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Below is an established avenue for these problems. (haven't heard of it closing...) There is an investigator (or group of) that is paid by OUR tax dollars to investigate issues like this. Here is the contact info:

Quinten Warren, Investigator
    State of Alaska, DCCED
    Division of Corporations, Business & Professional Licensing 550 W. 7th Ave, suite 1500
    Anchorage, AK 99501
    (907) 269-7646 FAX (907) 269-8195 Email: Quinten.warren@alaska.gov

"Quinten" may not be there but someone is.....

I have used this procedure personally. If the report is baseless/unconfirmed, then don't expect much. (please for the rest of us) Don't waste their time because it takes away from the good work they do.

I have worked for and know some great guys who happen to be guides. The majority are. There are a few turds but report them above and there will be less.

Cheers.
    KA

PS
    Post #7 is a good example of the other side of the argument, friends. Happy New Year, safe travels, and I vote for the Alaska Range.
    great post...i agree. report em always....

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    great post...i agree. report em always....
    HAHA
    I just edited out a bunch of it. Thanks man.

I actually have been on the other side. "buzzing" two guys that I never saw. Thankfully, he was a man and came up and asked ***. I was focused on my little piece of gravel and drug it 3-4 times (to which he thought I was buzzing them 3-4 times). We all laughed it off, I apologized and I left for other pieces of gravel feeling dumb.

Take care.

Bear,

I have given up trying to understand what priorities troopers set. I had a crewman this year that spent a total of three days in the state in two years.. bought an Alaska drivers licence, got a Seward post office box.. and is calling them self a resident..buys an instate licence.. and I am thinking other state benefits as well.. dropped a dime.. they could care less. Called again.. same result.

Then they will turn around and go off the deep end to prosecute a guy that shoots a 49 inch bull in a 50 inch area..

I give up... have no idea what their enforcement goals are.. guess I need to call and find out... very confusing..

If you talked to the trooper in Palmer and got nothing.. go to the next level.. eventually they will listen.

I've only hunted the Wrangells for sheep. When I first started hunting there the area I went to had almost no pressure, but over the years the secret got out and it got to the point where you couldn't set up a tent without seeing another tent. I haven't been back in a few years now, but I'm planning to give the area a shot again. I've never tried to hunt sheep anywhere other than the Wrangells because the area has a kind of sentimental value to me because my first sheep hunt was successful and it made me feel like I finally reached the big leagues of Alaska hunting.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

If he is really buzzing you and not just checking out a landing site, then a call/written letter/video clip to the FAA can get his attention real quick.

Bear,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast