Thread: Tube size for a 700# load.

Default Tube size for a 700# load.

I'd like to do some float trips and, after a little looking around some, a cataraft looks like my best choice for the "normal" reasons...breaks down for portage, could add a kicker(+) with a little modification, good area for gear, etc.

I'd guess my maximum load would be around 700# and the shallower rivers I'd plan on floating might be the 40 Mile from the bridge before Chicken to the Yukon, maybe the Ivishak on the slope, below the mountains...never seen it so don't know if shallow water is a consideration.

If any of you Alaska pontoon types float smaller, fairly shallow, rivers with around 700# of people and gear I'd be interested in hearing what size tubes (single tubes especially) you've used and how they did, as well as if you'd recommend them to a beginner with a small amount of experience for up to/including class III (maybe with a reduced load for class III). I'd rather not get into makes/models/materials...lots of stuff around on that.

I started rowing about 55 years ago and still do some, have pretty much 0 experience in catarafts/round boats, one float in an Avon Redshank (Redseal?...whatever the 12' "tender" model was) on Alexander Creek out of Anchorage nearly 40 years ago, quite a bit of open canoe in class I/II (Tanana, Chena, Chatanika, etc.) and some experience with a small jet sled on the Deshka/Big Su (again, nearly 40 years ago) and some more recent experience in a jon-boat with a jet on the Yukon and smaller tributaries. All that to say I can row a dingy, read water that runs downhill a little but have no real experience in rafts/catarafts.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Spawner View Post
    I'd like to do some float trips and, after a little looking around some, a cataraft looks like my best choice for the "normal" reasons...breaks down for portage, could add a kicker(+) with a little modification, good area for gear, etc.

I'd guess my maximum load would be around 700# and the shallower rivers I'd plan on floating might be the 40 Mile from the bridge before Chicken to the Yukon, maybe the Ivishak on the slope, below the mountains...never seen it so don't know if shallow water is a consideration.

If any of you Alaska pontoon types float smaller, fairly shallow, rivers with around 700# of people and gear I'd be interested in hearing what size tubes (single tubes especially) you've used and how they did, as well as if you'd recommend them to a beginner with a small amount of experience for up to/including class III (maybe with a reduced load for class III). I'd rather not get into makes/models/materials...lots of stuff around on that.

I started rowing about 55 years ago and still do some, have pretty much 0 experience in catarafts/round boats, one float in an Avon Redshank (Redseal?...whatever the 12' "tender" model was) on Alexander Creek out of Anchorage nearly 40 years ago, quite a bit of open canoe in class I/II (Tanana, Chena, Chatanika, etc.) and some experience with a small jet sled on the Deshka/Big Su (again, nearly 40 years ago) and some more recent experience in a jon-boat with a jet on the Yukon and smaller tributaries. All that to say I can row a dingy, read water that runs downhill a little but have no real experience in rafts/catarafts.

Thanks!
    Hello from Brian,

Without going into brands... what you are essentially calling for on 700 lb. loads with performance:

Length will be fine at 14'

Tube diameter will be good at 22", 22.5" and no more that 24"

Waterline giving adequate performance will run 90"-100"

This will provide a go anywhere, good handling, shallow-draft cataraft for 700-800 lbs.

Bump it up to 16' plus a foot more waterline and easily achieve 1000 lbs.

Same frame, hardware with accessories and expenditure for both 14' & 16'.