Thread: Trail Report- Denali Hwy ..Cantwell to Alpine Crk

Default Trail Report- Denali Hwy ..Cantwell to Alpine Crk

There is enough snow to ride out to Alpine Creek. I ran it in 1hr 15min on Sunday with my Bearcat. The first few miles from the parking lot is pretty sketchy, but doable. You could trailer out past the thin stuff with a good truck and if there is no snow in the forecast.

The biggest issues are 5 HUGE ice overflows that are covering the road. They all are at the base of the hill that starts when the road gets up close the the Nenana River (20 mile hill) and occur up and over the top of the hill. All of them are passable, but can ruin your day if you make a mistake. Two of them have the potential for serious injury and possible loss of a machine. I wouldn't attempt them at this point towing any sort of sled. The flows grew substantially in my couple days visiting Alpine Creek. I don't know that they will continue to be passable for very long, so please be careful. If you have a studded machine you shouldn't have an issue, paddle tracks and abrupt clutch engagements are going to be bad news.

I've been thinking of some sort of safety measure for the two most dangerous flows. My thoughts are to anchor a cable along the uphill edge of the flows, then use some sliders along the cables with tag lines that can connect to the front and rear of the snowmachine to keep it from sliding off the ice flow and into oblivion. Either that or I might just place some anchors into the ice to belay the machine off of if you have a helper along.

I scoped out a possible bypass on the Nenana River, but it is blown out where Wells Creek comes in from the other side. Then, I don't have enough knowledge (yet) to figure out how to get back up onto the highway upstream.

I'm hoping snow will cure the issue, but for right now please be careful.

BTW- I had a great time as always at Alpine Creek.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

How wide is each of the 5 overflows? What about using sand to get traction crossing the ice?

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

thanks for the update Doug...was going to head up there this week with kids (novice riders) but will definitely rethink this trip until we get some decent snow...

When are you thinking? I probably could come along to help out. I'm putting together a ride to run the Nenana and work out that angle. As long as you have an experienced rider along to run the machine, the less experienced could walk across. Of course, this changes daily.

How wide is each of the 5 overflows? What about using sand to get traction crossing the ice?
    They are the complete width of the road and easily 100' long.

Doug, Met your son this weekend, a real nice young man.

Thank you. He's my right hand man. The E's are becoming good friends, so it's nice to have a place he can go and I don't have to worry.