Thread: water in floor of pop up? and other shelter newbie questions

Default water in floor of pop up? and other shelter newbie questions

Ok trying to get back into ice fishing after almost 30 years

Heard a lot of good things about these pop up shelters so I'm trying one.

Never fished in ANY kind of shelter before. Anyhow bunch of water gushed when I drilled my holes and I wound up with a couple inches of water on my floor. Howdoyou guys handle that? Wood floor? Just suck it up? I'm leaving it in place a few days so nmaybe it'll firm up. But I'd hate to move several times during a day and have all that water each time.

Nother old newbie question. My shelter is 70x70 floor with puffed out walls. Says it fishes 3 but I'm figuring I'll normally fish 2 maybe a 3rd non fisher. Do you put your holes side by side in the center? Or do you put the holes in a corner and sit back to back? Probably seem like silly questions but fishing in this little shack is a lot different than just being out in the wide open.....didn't have a heater today but I'm told they.can get pretty toasty . Not sloshing around in 2-3" of water though.

One more....I'm guessing you normally drill your holes then put the shelter over them?

Thanks!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Ok trying to get back into ice fishing after almost 30 years

Heard a lot of good things about these pop up shelters so I'm trying one.

Never fished in ANY kind of shelter before. Anyhow bunch of water gushed when I drilled my holes and I wound up with a couple inches of water on my floor. Howdoyou guys handle that? Wood floor? Just suck it up? I'm leaving it in place a few days so nmaybe it'll firm up. But I'd hate to move several times during a day and have all that water each time.

Nother old newbie question. My shelter is 70x70 floor with puffed out walls. Says it fishes 3 but I'm figuring I'll normally fish 2 maybe a 3rd non fisher. Do you put your holes side by side in the center? Or do you put the holes in a corner and sit back to back? Probably seem like silly questions but fishing in this little shack is a lot different than just being out in the wide open.....didn't have a heater today but I'm told they.can get pretty toasty . Not sloshing around in 2-3" of water though.

One more....I'm guessing you normally drill your holes then put the shelter over them?

Thanks!!
    The current water problem (at least the problem we are having in southcentral) will go away as soon as winter returns. As far as the holes, I like them in the corners.

Agree with frostbitten, holes in corners and yes drill them first then place shelter. I have had no issues this way.

As soon as the high pressure systems return the water will be pushed back in the holes. I have done holes side by side and prefer it when I am fishing short rods, but when fishing longer rods I like to do corner to corner. When you do get your heater, a small folding table is nice to have in there to set it on. That way it's not liable to fall over.

Another guy on the forum turned me on to the foam high impact mats to set down as a floor in the pop up. They have worked wonders. It helps hold a little more heat it, and prevents you from sliping all over the place. You can get them at walmart for 20 bucks.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

try putting holes in a v for 3ppl. when drilling hole don't yank Auger out of hole

Ok thanks. I'm going to see if the cooler weather coming helps. Do you guys shovel out the floor to bare ice? ...or leave the snow to soak up any water?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Ok thanks. I'm going to see if the cooler weather coming helps. Do you guys shovel out the floor to bare ice? ...or leave the snow to soak up any water?
    If there is water on the ice, I leave the snow there, even shovel more in to soak it up if practical. If there is no over flow, I shovel down to bare ice.
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 01-04-2013 at 13:04. Reason: typo