Default Looking for info on fishfinders for trolling kings

I have a garmin GPS combo just looking to see what others are using

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

garmin 4212 with GSD24 hooked to a giant thru hull transucer
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by chatham View Post
    I have a garmin GPS combo just looking to see what others are using
    Humminbird 788ci. Just curious why you're asking. Are you planning on getting a new one?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I have done some research for a dedicated fishfinder and I'm leaning towards this Furuno FVC585 with an 1KW Airmar transducer...as soon as I have the $$$!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I have done some research for a dedicated fishfinder and I'm leaning towards this Furuno FVC585 with an 1KW Airmar transducer...as soon as I have the $$$!
    You won't go wrong with Furuno and if your not planning on fishing REAL deep you'd probably be good with a 600 watt ducer. My rig came with a Furuno GP7000 gps/plotter/fishfinder and a 600watt thru hull ducer and i can see down to 1500' in the sound, shrimpin down to 900' it sees fine. Keep your eyes open for some discounts on the 585 since they came out with a 587 just recently.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    You won't go wrong with Furuno and if your not planning on fishing REAL deep you'd probably be good with a 600 watt ducer. My rig came with a Furuno GP7000 gps/plotter/fishfinder and a 600watt thru hull ducer and i can see down to 1500' in the sound, shrimpin down to 900' it sees fine. Keep your eyes open for some discounts on the 585 since they came out with a 587 just recently.
    Interesting point of note. I have been in contact with Airmar regarding their transducers and their customer service person told me in an email that I just received this morning that the wattage capability of your transducer is not as important as the number and type of elements the transducer utilizes. Which, to me, explains why their new CHIRP technology is that much better than even the "lesser" transducers that even Airmar produces. The CHIRP technology utilizes more AND higher grade ceramic elements than lesser ones. The Airmar 260 is a "broadband" transducer, but doesn't use the CHIRP technology that the 265 uses, but of course the 265 costs a lot more than the 260, so that might be a consideration for those of us that have wives that might squawk at us spending that much on something to help us fixate that much more on pursuing our obsession of finding fish.

Coho!
    Are you secretly MARRIED?!

Coho!
    Are you secretly MARRIED?!
    You know how Penny hates it when I buy fishing stuff instead of dog treats and the other "finer things in life" that are important to her. You could say I'm married to a real dog I suppose.

The FCV-585 is a great unit. You will be happy if you get one.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

I see semperfifishing has the Furuno FCV585 on sale for $965 on THT. That's $300 less than I paid last year. I still can't figure out what the difference in the 587 is that replaces it so looks like a really good price for a really good fish finder.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...e-new-box.html

love love LOVE my 585! SempiFi is awesome to deal with BTW... once I had the unit installed, he had me call him and walk me thru the settings while I was cruising outside of Whittier to get it dialed in.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

SemperFi at THT is awesome! Spoke to him this morning.. He took my call while out on the water fishing!!!
    Updating my electronics w him now. His rec for my Garmin 4212 was a GSD 24 with a Airmar TM 260 OR Airmar SS164 -flushmount 1 kW.
    He also suggested dedicated Furuno fish finder as an alternative.

That 585 is a smoking deal. For 98% of you, 600w transducer will do everything you need and more, expecially if finding feed and salmon in less than 200ft of water is your goal. Bottom fishing, it'll find bottom in more water than you want to fish in. If you happen to wander off the shelf and want to do some bottom fishing, then 1kw is necessary.

Another consideration for targeting kings is the transducer cone angle because it sets the field of view. If you're mostly fishing the top 60' then you want to get a fairly wide cone angle and wide field of view. Otherwise you will cruise right past fish that are 10' beside the boat, but they might not be marked.

Airmar makes all the transducers for Furuno, Garmin, and Lowrance. Check out the Airmar website for information. Check the P66 for the widest cone angle of all, and it is a relatively reasonable cost 600W transducer. Stepping up in sensitivity, check the TM260. This one has a narrow cone angle and narrow field of view. Its extreme sensitivity makes it ideal for bottomfishing. Another one is the TM270W this one has the extreme sensitivity and a moderately wide field of view. I have not looked into the CHIRP units but I do know they are supposed to be very sensitive.

just purchased the Furuno 627 and TM258 from Gil at HT. He spent 30 minutes on the phone with me, discussing options - I was thinking about a thru-hull and he talked me into a better transducer (in his opinion) for less money (-100$), even though he had both in stock. And he's originally from the Valley area ....

Looking forward to using it in PWS this summer ...

You will love that unit.
    Just remember to enable the "Depth" feature so you can let the Furuno to tell you if the fish is under the boat or to the side etc.

If you have depth numbers on the target...the fish is in the 200 kHz cone and under the boat .but if you do not have and depth numbers displayed on the targets..tose fish are not under the boat.

Gil