Thread: How long can a bird be in the freezer before mounting?

Default How long can a bird be in the freezer before mounting?

Cleaning out the freezer last week I came across an old squaw drake I shot in Kodiak in 2004. I put it in a nylon stocking when I first shot it, and then in a plastic bag when it went into the freezer. My gut says it's too late to mount - any thoughts?

Cheers,

SH

Check with a taxidermist before you throw it out, I have seen mounts that were in the freezer for a few years and they turned out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    Cleaning out the freezer last week I came across an old squaw drake I shot in Kodiak in 2004. I put it in a nylon stocking when I first shot it, and then in a plastic bag when it went into the freezer. My gut says it's too late to mount - any thoughts?

Cheers,

SH
    SH, I did taxidermy for quite a few years and mounted many a bird that was in the freezer 2-3 even 4 years that turned out very nicely, especially being in a plastic bag. I just mounted a pheasant that was in my freezer for 4 years and it is very nice, no problem. Waterfowl last longer since they have a good layer of fat to protect them.The major concern is drying out in the freezer which the plastic slows down. If it looks like it is drying, put wet paper towels on the head and feet and back in the freezer until you can take it in.

good luck

Thanks to both of you. Will contact Caribou Taxidermy to see if he'll tackle them . .

Best,

SH

grizzeyes

also you need not use pantyhose. the hose causes the bird to dry out. use 2 of the largest plastic freezer bags they sell. if your bird fits, great. if not, you can always use them and also cover with freezer paper.