Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: WHY...WHY...WHY...WHY.....Would "YOU" ever...ever run out of AMMO..???

  1. #1

    Default WHY...WHY...WHY...WHY.....Would "YOU" ever...ever run out of AMMO..???

    I see posting of members looking for ammo.........WHY

    If you own a .22LR why do you NOT own at least 2,000 rounds of .22LR minimum at any given time.

    If you own a 12 Ga. or 20 Ga. or .410 why would you NOT own at least a case of ammo for each.

    If you own a 5.56 NATO firearm, and the AMMO price doubles or triples, WHY do you call those who have ammo for sale "Gougers" Why not call yourself something......???

    Why do sportsmen go to the store and buy (1) One BOX of rifle ammo for hunting....The week before season opens.....????

    REALLY......without ammo all you have is a bump-jack handle or a poorly designed "Club".

    Why blame others for your not owning ammo.......????

    Why do you assume there will always be food and ammo available.......???? The supply line for both could end......with zero warning.

    Don't get caught without food, fuel, ammo.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    OR components !!

  3. #3
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    I was worried because I bought a 7.62 NATO AR back in NY. I got home and started counting. 8-9 pounds of powder, 400 empty brass, 700+ primers and about 350, 150 grain bullets. Not counting 500, 180 grain lead bullets. If I load up 300-400 rounds it should be enough.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  4. #4
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    OR components !!
    That's what I was wondering........if having a bunch of components was alright with him...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That's what I was wondering........if having a bunch of components was alright with him...???

    Reloading is fine with me, I just like the feeling of knowing that I have 25 years worth of ammo, both for investment and for SHTF. In the last 90 days I have added about 9,000 rounds of Federal 62 gr. 5.56 NATO ammo & 6,000 rounds of 40 gr. .22 magnum ammo to the warehouse.

    I have .22 magnum ammo that I paid $1.95 for a box of 50 rounds. Now I have to pay $8.00 per box or $80.00 per brick for magnum ammo.

    AS I KEEP SAYING.......THEY WILL NEVER GET THE FIREARMS.........BUY THEY CAN CONTROL YOUR ACCESS TO AMMO.

  6. #6
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Reloading is fine with me, I just like the feeling of knowing that I have 25 years worth of ammo, both for investment and for SHTF. In the last 90 days I have added about 9,000 rounds of Federal 62 gr. 5.56 NATO ammo & 6,000 rounds of 40 gr. .22 magnum ammo to the warehouse.
    .
    WHY DID YOU WAIT TILL THE LAST 90 DAYS TO BUY MORE YOURSELF? YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT ALL YOU NEEDED BACK IN 1970????

    bk

  7. #7
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    My problem has always been that I shoot so much of it... Then when I have enough money for a mass-ammo buy, it turns out to be enough money to buy a new rifle or pistol instead.... Thus requiring more ammo....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  8. #8
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    My problem has always been that I shoot so much of it... Then when I have enough money for a mass-ammo buy, it turns out to be enough money to buy a new rifle or pistol instead.... Thus requiring more ammo....
    That's a heck of a dilemma.........I wish I had....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    WHY DID YOU WAIT TILL THE LAST 90 DAYS TO BUY MORE YOURSELF? YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT ALL YOU NEEDED BACK IN 1970????

    bk

    .22 Long Rifle I had all I will ever use by 1975........When "Montgoumary Wards" went under in Anchorage I bought 10 cases at $39.99 per case. I still have about 20,000 rounds (estimate)

  10. #10
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Mindset is the thing to look at.Prepairing for war or having fun plinking. I have all I'll even need but will keep buying more to use as trade goods.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  11. #11
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I see posting of members looking for ammo.........WHY

    If you own a .22LR why do you NOT own at least 2,000 rounds of .22LR minimum at any given time.

    If you own a 12 Ga. or 20 Ga. or .410 why would you NOT own at least a case of ammo for each.

    If you own a 5.56 NATO firearm, and the AMMO price doubles or triples, WHY do you call those who have ammo for sale "Gougers" Why not call yourself something......???

    Why do sportsmen go to the store and buy (1) One BOX of rifle ammo for hunting....The week before season opens.....????

    REALLY......without ammo all you have is a bump-jack handle or a poorly designed "Club".

    Why blame others for your not owning ammo.......????

    Why do you assume there will always be food and ammo available.......???? The supply line for both could end......with zero warning.

    Don't get caught without food, fuel, ammo.
    Why? Because not everyone buys into the whole collapse of civilization/apocalypse/Armageddon thing. When I shoot the two boxes of shells I have now, I'll just go buy more. It's all good.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Why? Because not everyone buys into the whole collapse of civilization/apocalypse/Armageddon thing. When I shoot the two boxes of shells I have now, I'll just go buy more. It's all good.
    And if the Government has a new $2.00 per cartridge tax......Are you good with $1,038.00 per brick (500 rounds) of .22LR ??????

    Quote=Frostbitten........."Because not everyone buys into the whole collapse of civilization/apocalypse/Armageddon thing". Me neither......I just buy into total economic collapse........Precipitated by Hyper-Inflation.

  13. #13
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    It just makes good economic sense. In a 2005 Cebellas catalog you can see 223 ammo for 19 cents a round. it has doubled
    since. As stated in an ealier post ammo may become a trading tool as the Dollar as we know it will most certainly go down
    the toilet. I hope I have enough!
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

  14. #14
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    And if the Government has a new $2.00 per cartridge tax......Are you good with $1,038.00 per brick (500 rounds) of .22LR ??????

    Quote=Frostbitten........."Because not everyone buys into the whole collapse of civilization/apocalypse/Armageddon thing". Me neither......I just buy into total economic collapse........Precipitated by Hyper-Inflation.
    Thats not gonna happen.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Thats not gonna happen.

    I am NOT worried either.........But the difference is I don't care if it does happen.

  16. #16

    Default

    I got 5 boxes of Federal .338 250 grain this Fall for $22 a box shipped to my door in Alaska. I guess it was a misprint as the price on the webpage went to 60 after I bought..

    What is the shelf life of ammo? It sure seemed to me my 10 year old .338 loads were not what they once were...

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post

    What is the shelf life of ammo? It sure seemed to me my 10 year old .338 loads were not what they once were...
    Don't know for sure.........I am still shooting WWII 30/06 FMJ ammo. I shot up all of the .303 British WWII ammo and most of it had long tubes of cordite.

  18. #18
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Thats not gonna happen.
    Maybe not. Maybe so.
    What if a national or state disaster strikes?
    I was taught that it is good to be prepared for eventualities, even if they don't happen. But then the Boy Scouts are considered by modern thinkers to be too religious, traditional and out of sync with progress in today's society.
    The state would rather have us all depend on its provision and good graces. I'm wary.

    Personally, whether hype or not, and with prices always going up, I find it doesn't hurt to stockpile ammo and reloading components. Some people don't shoot much and will happily pay whatever the price. Not me on either count.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    The reality is, that some folks don't have the funds to afford huge stock piles of ammunition.

    That don't mak'em dumb. It's just that there are other things that must take priority.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Maybe not. Maybe so.
    What if a national or state disaster strikes?
    I was taught that it is good to be prepared for eventualities, even if they don't happen. But then the Boy Scouts are considered by modern thinkers to be too religious, traditional and out of sync with progress in today's society.
    The state would rather have us all depend on its provision and good graces. I'm wary.

    Personally, whether hype or not, and with prices always going up, I find it doesn't hurt to stockpile ammo and reloading components. Some people don't shoot much and will happily pay whatever the price. Not me on either count.
    Oh Yeah.

    Disasters happen all the time.

    Once, guns/Ammo are established as a BAD thing, the Government can, and will, tax the sheet out of them.

    Also, the State, and Local Governments will too, just like cigarettes.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •