Thread: using a dehydrator to preserve food

Default using a dehydrator to preserve food

does anyone use a dehydrator to put up berry's, meat ,fish etc... if so how do you like this means of preserving the harvest?
    THANKS;
    GRIN

Default Jerky

Most of the time I just make jerky and fruit rolls but I'd think berries and fruits would turn out ok. I've tried fish but I don't care for it too much though.

My parents have used a dehydrator for 20 years (the same one!) to preserve their spring harvest of morels. I'm not much of a mushroom fan myself, but they claim that when rehydrated that it's hard to tell the difference. Seems like a great way to preserve mushrooms so that you'll have them all year. I've also tried jerky once, but I'm not really a bit fan of dried meat.

Default how do they prepare the morels?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My parents have used a dehydrator for 20 years (the same one!) to preserve their spring harvest of morels. I'm not much of a mushroom fan myself, but they claim that when rehydrated that it's hard to tell the difference. Seems like a great way to preserve mushrooms so that you'll have them all year. I've also tried jerky once, but I'm not really a bit fan of dried meat.
    Interesting observation on the mushrooms. I love the spring harvest, but you can only eat so many morels before you get tired of them and freezing doesn't work too well. I'm wondering how they prepare them after they have been dehydrated???

No-go on the jerky for me too! I like the smoker made stuff a lot better

Josh, I think they just soak them in water for a while and then sautee them or use them however else they like them. I'll ask next time I talk to them and get some clarification.

Default May have been last morel hunt for the season down here.

Brian, I think I made the last hunt of the season down here today. Sure wish I knew of the dehydrating idea sooner. We had a beautiful rain for about 3 days two weeks back and they were popping up everywhere. Hot temps and no precip has left them a little on the dry side today. Forecast is calling for 90% chance the next few days...maybe they will revive. I will be back in Michigan next weekend and they should be sprouting there!

Josh

Vidalia onions sliced about 1/4 inch dried to crisp like chip good as chip or crush for dish.

Cantaloupe pick the ones that are over ripe dry to crisp crush in oatmeal, or put in mouth like chew wonderful I am surprised that someone is not sell them like this.

Make your own Mountain house with chili, soups, stews.

Josh, the morel picking up here gets really good in late May and early June. Still time to head north!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    does anyone use a dehydrator to put up berry's, meat ,fish etc... if so how do you like this means of preserving the harvest?
    It works well.

We dry all kinds of stuff, including the apples off the tree in the yard.

Our favorite was Kodiak deer jerky. It was a huge hit in the Lower 48, even among folks who knew moose meat well.

I don't think I'd bother doing salmon much anymore. The canned version is better.

The other fish we eat would be wasted in the smoker.

thanks guy's . ive had dryed morels they're ok , last year back in mich. i tried a new freezing method that worked well. blanch the shrooms in boiling water for 1 or 2 mins. then freeze on a cookie sheet then vacuum pack them ,then toss them back in the freezer, works great.

Default mountain house??

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    Make your own Mountain house with chili, soups, stews.
    Interesting...I think my guts would like that How do you go about preparing them in the dehydrator? And then how do you fix them in the field?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Josh, the morel picking up here gets really good in late May and early June. Still time to head north!
    Well, I tried to find an inexpensive flight for a long memorial day weekend and that was a no-go. Tentative plans have me heading out of Michigan about the second week in June. Given that timeline...it's looking like I better focus on the berries for this year

-Josh

We use our greenhouse for drying morels. Pic below. Not too many now the third year after the big fires. If you really dry them, then baggie them up, they last a long time and are real easy to rehydrate and taste almost as good as fresh.

We do a fair amount of moose jerky too, just dried in the house without any dehydrator, or fish strips hung outside over cold smoke. Salmon strips dried over cold smoke last a long time too.

A trick with dried 'shrooms. Take some and grind them up in a food processor to a mushroom powder. Add it to soups, stews and sauces. Adds flavor, body and helps to thicken. I do this with boletes, morels, as well as other mushrooms.

Soups and stews need to have the trays that you can put the soup on about a 1/4 inch thick then just dry out and package when you use it just add hot water and let sit 4-5 min. then eat works great.

I would dry the ingredients seperate and then add them to a mix. Some things don't dry well together. You will make a better soup or stew or chilli that way.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.