Thread: 375 H&H shooters, your best groups???

Default 375 H&H shooters, your best groups???

I have owned two 375 H&H rifles, one was a M-700 and the other was a Sako Mannlicher style stock...
    I could only hope for 2 to 3 inch groups (100 yards) from either...So eventually they were sold....

Now that I have not owned one for 20 years,,,, well maybe 25 plus years..... I have been thinking about buying either an M-70 stainless or a Montana rifle in 375 H&H...

So you folks that have played with the cartridge quite a bit,,, what are the best loads / group combos you have found...???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I had a Ruger that would shoot 1" groups with Hornady 300gr factory loads. I thought that was exceptional. 270gr loads were in the 4" range.

I also had a M70 that wouldn't hold 6" with anything...of course the stock looked like it was hacked from a 2x8 and it had a hard plastic butt plate... I probably was shutting my eyes whenever I pulled the trigger!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

With 300gr Sierras, and a case full of IMR4831 my 375 will shoot well under an inch for three shots. I have a target on the floorboard of my truck that has 3 in a .535" cluster at 100yds. It is a Rem700 with a 20" PacNor tube, full length bedded into a Bansner stock. It shoots X bullets almost as good and 235 Speers will usually produce 1 ragged hole. Holding onto it for more than about 5 shots gets to be a bear though, as it only weighs 7.5# fully loaded and ready to roll.

My Sako Kodiak likes 300grain TSXs with R15.

The 270s shot Okay too.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't have the H&H but my 375 Ruger Alaskan likes RL 15 with the 270 Hornady's. 1 big hole.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I have been wondering if the 375 Ruger might have some accuracy advantages over the 375 H&H...
    STID I can't see anything where your photos should be...

OH Wait they showed up after I POSTED WEIRD....

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have been wondering if the 375 Ruger might have some accuracy advantages over the 375 H&H...
    STID I can't see anything where your photos should be...

OH Wait they showed up after I POSTED WEIRD....
    I've had both....not really in my experience. Maybe some slight advantage to case design but it's gotta be minimal.

If there is an advantage (IMHO) to the .375 Ruger it's that the rifles are newer and most newer rifles are built on CNC machinery with better tolerances.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

rl 15 and Hornady 270 gr rn and out of my pushfeed Win 70 will go under an inch for as many shots as you like until the flinchies set in....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My Sako Kodiak likes 300grain TSXs with R15.

The 270s shot Okay too.

Are those squares on the target 1 inch and if so were you taking you pictures from a distance? Good shooting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Are those squares on the target 1 inch and if so were you taking you pictures from a distance? Good shooting.
    The thick lines are 1 inch squares and I was close enough when taking picture to be able to read the info. I print the photos and attach them to my reloading cards for reference.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've have a Browning A-Bolt in 375H&H (for quite awhile now and I take it every fall with me). I've customized mine a bit, but RL-15 and 270grn TSX's are the combo for mine...it will do MOA if I do my part. I totally agree with alangaq...off the bench I'm doing dry fires between shots to keep the flinches away.

Nice shooting Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The thick lines are 1 inch squares and I was close enough when taking picture to be able to read the info. I print the photos and attach them to my reloading cards for reference.
    Thanks, Like I said, good shooting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I like the Ruger Alaskan design with the shorter 20" barrel. The shorter stiffer barrel is easier to make accurate by lessening the harmonics that effect accuracy. This generally makes for a wider sweet spot when tuning your load. Perhaps this makes the load more accurate over a wider range of atmospheric and environmental conditions.

It has been mentioned in bench rest forums that shorter fatter cases improve the burn consistency resulting in better accuracy. This particular theory is over my head. Either way, I'm plenty happy with the Ruger performance...

375 Ruger.jpg
    Last edited by marshall; 01-01-2013 at 11:42. Reason: typo

It might be because the 375 Ruger does not have a belt, so you can get a good headspace against the shoulder... Plus it has a better shoulder than the 375 H&H...
    I wonder it anyone else chambers that cartridge besides Ruger??? After having owned a few of them, I am not nuts about a bolt that cannot be totally disassembled in the field without tools. Plus the firing pin is not locked in the first position while the bolt can be cycled.

Howa makes one. Don't know about the ease of bolt disassembly.

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa_375ruger.html

The Howa's are a push feed action, with a bolt sort-of like a M-700 rem... Except the extractor is even weaker....

With a true M-98 Mauser, Springfield , M-70 WIN, KIMBER 8400, or Dakota Rifle, you can totally take apart the bolt in the field, without any tools.

The M-77MKII, Rem M-700s and some other actions require that you use a pin the size of a paperclip to unscrew the striker assembly with the firing pin and firing pin spring attached. Which you could do with some multi-tools...
    BUT you need a spring de-compression tool, hammer and punch-pin to get the spring assembly off the firing pin.

Remington 700 xcr with remington brass, cci mag primer, 72 grains of IMR 4064, and a 270 grain hornady bullet. best group was .92 inches off two sand bags.