Thread: Larger fish thru the hole???

Default Larger fish thru the hole???

how do you more experienced guys land larger fish through the hole?? I use 6 & 8 pound test and have lost a few near the hole. What are the proven techniques for getting a larger fish up out of the hole and on the ice?
    "f/64 and be there"

On a couple of my rigs I use braided line and just the last 2 ft is light mono. I try to make sure the fish is tired before trying to get its head into the hole and letting the mono contact the ice. Earlier this season I caught a large trout and stuck the pole into the hole and fought the fish that way because once I got it close it was spinning circles and didn't want to have it break the line on the ice.

let the fish calm down and not try to run when it sees u reaching for it

Get a 10" auger.. I use 20lb braid with a 12lb flourocarbon leader so the mono doesnt touch the edges of the hole until the fish is very near the surface. Make sure you use tackle heavy enough for the target species so you dont over-exhaust a fish you intend on releasing.

Just made the switch to braid myself. I usually hate the stuff, but agree it has a use in ice fishing. Smaller diameter, more strength, and more sensitive while jigging.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

ask the guy who landed that beautiful 20lb 42" burbot! all the other posts seem to have covered it well.

I also use braid.
    The braid I use is Tuff Line Duracast.
    It is a coated line and doesn't freeze up like regular braid will.
    It also doesn't cut into the ice like regular braid.
    I use 24# test braid stright usually but in clear water I will use a short length of flouro between the braid and hook.

I wait until the fish is tired like others have said.
    Then I gently guide the fish up the hole and slip my hand under the gill cover to haul the fish onto the ice.
    I also use a big auger, 10 1/4" Strikemaster.

Got this little girl this past Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I also use braid.
    I use 24# test braid stright usually but in clear water I will use a short length of flouro between the braid and hook.

Then I gently guide the fish up the hole and slip my hand under the gill cover to haul the fish onto the ice.

Nice fish!

My technique is a little different for the really large fish. I try to get the head into the hole as soon as possible. My theory is that most fish can't swim backwards really well. I'm sure we have lost fish and slowly watch them slide backwards down the hole. So when I get a fish on, I typically have heavy enough line that as the fish cruises past the hole, I try and guide the head and make the fish swim into the hole at the first possible opportunity. Once any part of the lip is in the hole, the fish often struggles and ends up pushing up into the hole. I typically will grab the line to have better and quicker control over positioning the head and lifting as the rod has bend so the "lift" is delayed.

Since I use 10 inch holes, I typically shove my arm into the water deeper than the fish and pin up against the side of the hole. Sort of like I did in the video I posted on "Big Lake char" topic. The only drawback is that the fish better be big enough to be worth getting wet over and you have some method of drying out afterwards.

I use flourocarbon leaders and therefore I always feel like I can step up in line weight. Not sure if the fish see the same thing but mono "glows" underwater, you can't see the flourocarbon. It's pretty cool to see how well the refractive index of flourocarbon matches water. Never lift with the line on larger fish. If I am using a big spoon I grab the lure sometimes.

16 second clip from my previous video on how I handle larger fish.

10" Strikemaster auger with sufficient extensions, clean area around the fishing hole(s), heavy 32-36" trout rod from HT, good quality reel with smooth action and zero slip stop discs, 50-lb.-test spider wire or equivalent (the equivalent diameter of 12-lb.-test mono), stout rings on hooks, lures, leaders, etc.

Landing 40-42 inch lakers through a 10" hole (once you get past the jumping-up-and-down-like-a-5-yr.-old phase of inherent giddienss and jig-dancing, and I don't mean lures, as well as the visual stimulus of what looks like a dinosaur head emerging from your hole) we then attempt to steady the fish in the hole with the head barely out of water, but the rest still submerged, thus reducing some degree of tension on the hook and line, doing our best to keep the line away from the sharp edges of the ice.

If you can't get a finger or three under the gill plate due to finger-breaking tantrums on the part of the senior-citizen, unusually-buff trout, then take a nice compact avalanche shovel, and 'gently' pin the trout to the side of the hole, placing the (hopefully dull) edge of the shovel behind the gill plate, so the giant bugger can't slip back down to the bottom from whence it often has come..

Then delicately, artfully (OK, maybe not so artfully at times), and with a minimum amount of exuberant obscenities, pluck that orange-fat fish from the ice, take pics, and light the cook stove.... or throw it back... depending on your disposition where serious amounts of high-Omega3 fish oil sources are concerned...

Just remember that the older the fish, there's typically a higher level of PCBs and mercury... Not to spoil a good feast.. We eat them anyway..

I also use braid.The braid I use is Tuff Line Duracast. It is a coated line and doesn't freeze up like regular braid will. It also doesn't cut into the ice like regular braid.I use 24# test braid stright usually but in clear water I will use a short length of flouro between the braid and hook.I wait until the fish is tired like others have said.Then I gently guide the fish up the hole and slip my hand under the gill cover to haul the fish onto the ice.I also use a big auger, 10 1/4" Strikemaster. Got this little girl this past Sunday.
    do what he says this guy catchs (lunkers) all day long

He lined it..haha

I also use braid.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Larger fish thru the hole???

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    do what he says this guy catchs (lunkers) all day long
    Yup +1. My arms aren't long enough for fish that big using my method!