Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas on a .40 full capacity handgun for small hands

Default Ideas on a .40 full capacity handgun for small hands

I'm in the market for a self defense handgun but am finding myself limited by my hand size. With most models I've tried I need to significantly break my grip and cant the pistol to the side to reach the mag release. I'm considering maybe finding a model with a reversible release or something else to accommodate me while preferably still allowing 10+ in the magazine. Is there anything new in the works or an older model that's well known for minimal grips. I've been a revolver guy till now so by no means am I very knowledgeable at this point on semi-autos. I'm open to ideas but need the thing new or used to come in under 600$

Have you tried on a CZ75? The Witness is a clone and comes in 40 on the 9mm frame, you get 14+1 I think. The 45 and 10mm are longer in the grip and some of the 40s are built on that frame but the true CZ75 clone is smaller. Give them a try, I have had a bunch and they are good guns for the money and can be well tricked out in the aftermarket if you know where to look. I know nothing about the plastic Witness and donít recommend them but the steel guns are a lot of gun for the money.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you can find a Browning HP in .40... they tend to run a bit smaller through the grip than a Glock, S&W 4006 or similar. I believe they are 11+1.

I had one for a few years- very nice piece and I believe they made them for a while so finding one should be doable.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

As ADfields mentioned the CZ75 is a nice hand gun. My neighbor bought a 9mm and a 40S&W. They were my first experience with the CZ and I think they are very nice hand guns and they are reasonably priced.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-compact/

The witness does look like a clone, I'm not sure about the internals. The witness is even cheaper.

The CZ-75 is a great gun, but if you have small hands you'll never reach the trigger unless you carry it cocked & locked.

The best bang for your buck would probably be the HK-P-30 with its replaceable back straps and side panels, but it is costly! $1000.00 or so....

The second best choice might be the Walther PPQ, but they are tuff to find.

Kirk out

I think that shifting the grip to reach mag and slide release is quite normal for most of us with about any pistol available. In normal operation it is quite well accepted to use a two hand hold when possible and use the support hand thumb for the slide and magazine release. If you use a pistol with a manual safety or de-cock lever, you would need to be able to one hand those without loosening the grip. It is always wise to have a strong hand shooting grip when dropping the slide on a live round and with the muzzle pointed at the dirt (or dirt bag) and many of us cannot reach a slide release without shifting the grip so we use support thumb except for those drills that require one hand only control, start to finish.

I've watched one well known instructor train several kids under the age of 16, many with very small hands, with 9mm Glocks and they seem to manage all functions and shoot the guns well. You may need to goto a single stack gun and I'd recommend a Kahr K-40 or T-40. Most of the double stack guns are rather thick in the grip. The smaller single stack guns are much smaller in the length of the grip so there is less to grab and may not be the best because a 40 has pretty spunky recoil. I'd suggest a visit to see a professional trainer to see if you can learn some effective technique for smaller hands before you buy a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSunRebel View Post
    I'm in the market for a self defense handgun but am finding myself limited by my hand size. With most models I've tried I need to significantly break my grip and cant the pistol to the side to reach the mag release. I'm considering maybe finding a model with a reversible release or something else to accommodate me while preferably still allowing 10+ in the magazine. Is there anything new in the works or an older model that's well known for minimal grips. I've been a revolver guy till now so by no means am I very knowledgeable at this point on semi-autos. I'm open to ideas but need the thing new or used to come in under 600$
    Mike

After handling another members Glock that had been given a grip reduction and texturing by Texas Full Bore Customs, I am having 2 of mine done the same way. Much more comfortable grip. If you have a Glock or pick one up at a good price, they don't charge too much for the job. Mine will be in soon and I would be happy to let you look at them when they are here. Otherwise- my wife likes her M&P's.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. James T. Kirk View Post
    The CZ-75 is a great gun, but if you have small hands you'll never reach the trigger unless you carry it cocked & locked.

The best bang for your buck would probably be the HK-P-30 with its replaceable back straps and side panels, but it is costly! $1000.00 or so....

The second best choice might be the Walther PPQ, but they are tuff to find.

Kirk out
    I concur regarding the P30. I have been shooting a USP Compact for many years and I have grown to prefer the magazine release on the H&Ks. Instead of having to move the grip in your hand to reach a 1911 style mag release with your thumb, on the H&K you just use your middle or index finger to press the release which is ambidextrous and located where the trigger guard joins the grip.

A month ago I would have recommended a used full size H&K USP in 40 or a USP Compact (still holds 12+1). I find their grips to be on the small side, so maybe that helps. You could occasionally find them for $5-600 on GunBroker. But now I'm sure prices have gone up:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=324201984

Another option is Ruger's SR40. They have a fairly slim grip.

Maybe I missed it but it makes a difference if you are going CCW or just around the house. Hard to beat Glock 23's and get a 9mm conversion barrel to use for practice or carry. 9mm will work pretty much as well as the 40 most of the time and it is a lot easier for small hands to control. Don't worry about the mag release... if you haven't fixed the problem with 12 or 16 rounds you need to look for a rifle or shotgun to finish the job.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    After handling another members Glock that had been given a grip reduction and texturing by Texas Full Bore Customs, I am having 2 of mine done the same way. Much more comfortable grip. If you have a Glock or pick one up at a good price, they don't charge too much for the job. Mine will be in soon and I would be happy to let you look at them when they are here. Otherwise- my wife likes her M&P's.
    I searched Texas Full Bore Customs and couldn't find it. I did find Texas Cold Bore Customs, any chance this is the correct place?

http://www.coldborecustom.com/Home.html

The pictures and the services look quite good and the price is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I searched Texas Full Bore Customs and couldn't find it. I did find Texas Cold Bore Customs, any chance this is the correct place?

http://www.coldborecustom.com/Home.html

The pictures and the services look quite good and the price is very reasonable.
    Marshal:

You are absolutely correct! My bad- too many guns on my mind and getting over strep throat!
    Kyle (HuntAK) is the one who first told me about them. Great stuff.
    I really like Glocks for what they are but do not like the grip, so it really says something that I am having them work on a pair of mod 22's. Everyone has preferences and different hand size and grip likes, but I was very impressed with the gun I handled and it made the grip much more comfortable for me with recessing under the trigger guard as well. It isn't a huge difference in size- but enough that it made a big difference for me. The stipling comes in different textures and you can get rid of the finger wells.
    When the frames are done and Kyle gets the duracoated slides on them I hope he will post some pics of them.
    Sorry for the confusion with the site.
    Brian

AKBEE,

I'm the proud new owner of a G20SF. I too am leaning towards grip work. At the very minimum I want 360 degree texture for wet weather conditions. I'm leaning towards trigger guard reduction because of the middle finger knuckle bump. The SF design has cured most of the bump on the grip back strap that I didn't like.

The pictures on their site are indicative of high quality work and the prices are quite reasonable. I've seen a few down here in Phoenix and they're hit and miss. I too will most likely be using Cold Bore after I shoot this gun a bit. A hour or so should be telling of what grip mods I'll go with.

Thanks for the heads up.

The Springfield XDm and S&W M&P both trump Glock in regards to ergonomics. I own Glocks too and I love their simplicity and reliability.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Or, you could get a Glock 23 or 27 in Gen 4. Have the backstrap inserts to better suit your hand/grip size. Can also switch the mag release to opposite side I believe and use your index finger to operate? Just a thought. If you go G27, plenty of mags available even in this crazy time of high capacity magazine shortages. Love mine, accurate, compact.

Thanks for all the input so far folks. I'm going to head out and try to find a CZ 75 to check it's feel. Have any of you gotten your paws on a Steyr, the M40-1A especially? From what I've read they may also fill me needs in regards to ergo/small hands and mag. cap.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    The witness does look like a clone, I'm not sure about the internals. The witness is even cheaper.
    Witness is a CZ clone made by Tanfoglio in Italy and sold by EAA under license in the U.S. The guts look the same in both guns but other than some springs are not interchangeable. Ether are a dang good working gun but witness hasnít had the edges dresses as well. Now Tanfoglio makes better guns too, they sponsor shooters all over Europe and are a respected name there. The Elite and Custom Elite are quite a bit better guns than CZ but they are back up around the $1400 or so mark. Under $600 will get you a Match but they are almost all built on the bigger frame.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSunRebel View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far folks. I'm going to head out and try to find a CZ 75 to check it's feel. Have any of you gotten your paws on a Steyr, the M40-1A especially? From what I've read they may also fill me needs in regards to ergo/small hands and mag. cap.
    MidnightSun,

I really enjoy the look and feel of the German guns, like the H&Ks and the Walthers. The Steyr looks very cool and probably is a fantastic gun. One problem I've found is that finding holsters can be problematic, particularly inside the waistband holsters. Walther was selling their PPS (a very flat and concealable single stack) and advertising it in all the magazines but they didn't sell a holster. And no one was making them for a couple of years. I haven't done a search, but Steyrs are probably even harder to find a holster. If I had money to blow, I'd probably buy the Steyr just because it looks so cool!

Glocks to me are blocky, ugly, and the grip is uncomfortable but you'll never run out of accessories for them. See if the grip reduction services fit the bill and you'll be good to go.

Another option are the older Smith and Wessons. You can get them relatively cheap. They were well made guns and used by many police departments before Glock took over. Look in the used cases at the gun shops. There are a ton of different models. Here's one example:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=324624859

Walther P99 or Smithe & Wesson SW99, if you can find one. They come with three different, interchangable backstraps. Different options as well. Get the double action with a decocker version.
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

This is a second for the XDM. It comes with three sizes of backplates to give the shooter a custom fit and the slide lock is machined steel rather than stamped sheet metal like the Glock uses. Good luck finding spare magazines for it though.

Consider the new model of the EAA Witness P Carry. It's a polymer framed pistol with a much smaller grip than the metal framed version and the Glocks. Comes in both 9 and 40. Holds like 16 rds., Built on the CZ-75 design and slick as a gut.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast