Thread: Valdez shrimping question

Question Valdez shrimping question

I am headed to Valdez for some Halibut fishing in a couple weeks with a friend. I bought a couple shrimp pots and accessories. I have no idea where to put the pots or what is a good shrimping area. Any help with the best bait and an area or water depth would be awesome. Thanks Rod

Default Not hard

Any place you see bouys with names on them are likely spots. Many go over near the hatchery along Allison Point. There are also many along Blueberry Hill, just outside the port headed West.

Myself, I am out a ways in Secret Cove.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Smile Shrimp biology class

What determines where the shrimp are? Is water temp, depth, food, or just a place they like to live the case? Is there a specific bait that works better than others. I will have to check the regs, but I would think that fish heads or scraps would work best.

Default Anyone else have a suggestion?

Thanks Daveinthebush,

I will check out Allison point and Blueberry hell.

I have done well around glacier ice flows at 400-500 feet with a combo bait mix of fish scraps and commerical shrimp bait pellets. The pellets are expensive but they last several days and I only fill my bait can half way seems to work and they are easy. Hook Line and Sinker sold the shimp pellets last year in one gallon ziplock bags for $15 I think. I found checking pots about every 4 hours proved most productive. Last year I dropped pots in a dozen different spots with very little luck until I found Secret Cove. From then on I consistantly caught 200 min 350 max shrimp per 5 pot pull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Impressive Shrimping!

That is too cool. I have always wanted to try that. I go each year for silvers/halibut but haven't been able to try shrimping. We typically have a rental skiff and just putz about the Port and around the corner to Jack, etc. Thanks for the posts and photo!