Thread: Scope mount problems

Default Scope mount problems

I have an issue while mounting my scope. Here's the issue.
    I have a Leupold QR base and high (.900) rings. I am mounting a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 scope.
    Mount the base on with screws loctited in (no issues).
    I then mount the rings to the base and secure them with the levers (good to go).
    I place the scope in bottom ring halves put tops on and secure the to 28" pounds after making sure crosshairs are close to perfectly vertical an/or plumb.
    There is about 1/4" gap between the bottom of the objective bell and the top radius of the barrel. Way more than I care for (like to keep it as minimal as possible.
    I get the boresighter in and start adjusting. I have to come up the only problem is I can't come up enough because the turret tops out.
    So the question of the day is will going with lower rings (say mediums at .77" or low .65") give me a gain in turret up movement?
    Thanks in advance Ladies and Gentlemen.

I would place the rifle in a vise aimed at a target 25 yards away, pull the bolt and locate the target in the center of the bore. Then try to adjust the POA to the barrels location ( you'll find your corrections are backwards, Right is left). A lazer boersighter does this as well. Muzzle centered boresighters don't always match the rise of the rings and fall short of useful on that account.The rings probably aren't the problem.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I concur with brav01....I think your issue is with the boresighter, most are set for 1.5" from center of bore to centerline of scope. I'd bet you're higher than that... I fiddled with the optical boresighters a little but finally dumped them due to being more trouble than they're worth.

Pull the bolt and do it old school style and see where that gets you. The further your POA from the muzzle that closer you'll be when you finally shoot for paper.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I understand guys. The problem lies in the fact that bringing the turret up to where the laser meets the cross hairs I only got 8-10 clicks out of it before it topped out. It should have ALOT more clicks in it than that. 8 clicks is 2" at 100 and 10 is 2.5" theoretically.
    So will using lower height mounts gain me more up in the turret?

In response to your question about more adjustment with lower rings, no. I have had good luck with the Leupold bore sighter. I suspect your boresighter may be in question. One question though, what kind of gun and type of rings? Just thinking bases might be different heights???

I'm not sure I'm understanding you, to clarify, your elevation adjustment on the scope is only a total of 4 to 5 MOA? I wasn't sure when you said from ? to top out was 8 to 10 clicks. I assumed that was from center. My other thought was if your rings were higher than needed wouldn't you be struggling to get more down adjustment? Maybe I'm just not reading your post right.
    I think markopolo might be on track. Scope not sitting in the rings flush. Lapping needed maybe?

No the turrets were not centered I am pretty sure of this I bought it used but but it only had 20 rounds on it and no ring marks or issues of any kind. I am going to old school bore sight it like previously posted. And see what happens also have a set of medium rings coming from optics planet. When I get this issue straightened out I am going lap the rings as I normally do when everything works out right.

Base and rings are not miss matched or incorrect. They are Leupold QR base and QR high .90 rings. If I get closer to 1.5" center of bore to center of reticle I think it'll work itself out. Thanks guys.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Base and rings are not miss matched or incorrect. They are Leupold QR base and QR high .90 rings. If I get closer to 1.5" center of bore to center of reticle I think it'll work itself out. Thanks guys.
    You should be able to sight-in a high mounted scope unless there is something radical wrong. There are advantages to a higher mounted scope too.

I don't think that will do it, and if it does, I hope you will post it.

Just tonight, I tried to boresight a scope using one of those lazer contraptions, and I ran outta clicks.

So, I did it the old fashioned way.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Maybe I can help with this. You asked if lower rings will use less vertical adjustment to get POA=POI, if I understand your question. The answer is yes. When adjusting UP to get reticle center at POI, We are actually moving the reticle down to where the bullet holes are. When a scope is mounted high, it just takes more of this adjustment. If you have a true 1/4" under the objective end and medium rings are .130" less that .130" will be added to your adjustment. The .65" rings may not keep the scope off the barrel. And I would do as others have said, sand bag the rifle and bore sight. Center a target in the bore and adjust the scope down (UP). Do this at 100 yards with a target you can see centered in the barrel. Then note the distance where the reticle is above the bore center after it bottoms. From that I can calculate the amount you will need to come down with the scope. How many MOA elevation does the scope have? I hope this helps.
    Mike

I'm wondering how the scope mount problems worked out here. I noticed some interesting ideas. Just curious about the outcome.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I ordered and received the medium rings in. Scope is riding where I like it just off the barrel by 1/16-1/8". Bore sighted it and turret up top out problem fixed with plenty of vertical up adjustment. Did some other checks to see what I had going on and here are the results. Bare with me as I hope to not confuse anyone.
    Bore sighted the scope at exactly 100 yards with old school method.
    Counted up clicks from bore sight setting 118 clicks to the stop. Came back 118 clicks to bore sight starting point.
    Counted down clicks form bore sight starting point came out to 67 clicks. Came back up the 67 clicks to bore sight starting point.
    Checked bore sight again **** near dead on where it was before any adjusting.
    I know the reticle is not centered but I gained adjustments where I wanted/needed them so as Phil Robertson says "I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY"

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    I ordered and received the medium rings in. Scope is riding where I like it just off the barrel by 1/16-1/8". Bore sighted it and turret up top out problem fixed with plenty of vertical up adjustment. Did some other checks to see what I had going on and here are the results. Bare with me as I hope to not confuse anyone.
    Bore sighted the scope at exactly 100 yards with old school method.
    Counted up clicks from bore sight setting 118 clicks to the stop. Came back 118 clicks to bore sight starting point.
    Counted down clicks form bore sight starting point came out to 67 clicks. Came back up the 67 clicks to bore sight starting point.
    Checked bore sight again **** near dead on where it was before any adjusting.
    I know the reticle is not centered but I gained adjustments where I wanted/needed them so as Phil Robertson says "I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY"
    Glad it worked out. Jonas is one of those smart ***** long line shooters and speaks in MOA lingo. I'd take his word for any answer to scope mount questions.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?