Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trying to decide between 2 snowmachines

Default trying to decide between 2 snowmachines

hello i am trying to decide between 2 snowmachines. i will use it mostly for trapping and hunting off of but will do some fun running as well. the two sleds im looking at are a Yamaha venture mp or a Polaris 600iq lxt. what i know about the machines are the Yamaha has a longer and wider tracks and is 500cc. the Polaris is a 600. both are fuel injected. they are very common in specs but i don't know a lot about sleds. please give me your experiences or opinion on either of these sleds as well as any other recommendations for other sleds to look at. my only real requirement is i want a fuel injected machine.

thank you
    Matt

Both of those sleds are fairly heavy touring type sleds. Neither will be fun to get unstuck by yourself and one of them is a 4 stroke which isn't necessarily a bad thing though they can be harder to start and you are dead in the water if your battery dies. Also the way yamaha tucks everything in there it is pretty much impossible to work on in the field. Why not a Skidoo Tundra?

What steered you toward those two machines for hunting and trapping? What are you hunting and what type of terrain? There are a lot of better choices for general hunting and trapping sleds. Let us know a bit more so we can help you.

i was steered to them to after visiting all 4 dealers here in fairbanks. the reason i didnt include the tundra is because the ones i seen at the dealership were carbonated but if the do have a fuel injected tundra model it would make the short list as well. i am gonna mostly hunt moose in minto flats and caribou up the steese. i will be trapping mostly off rivers north of fairbanks. as i said i dont know a lot about snowmachines and am trying to inform myself a little so i get one i can use for years to come so any suggestions are helpful.

thanks
    Matt

Why is EFI a must have?

What is your budget? Both the tundra sport and LT have 4 stroke motors with EFI. The difference between them is the size of track.

Last spring I bought a 2010 skidoo skandik Super Wide Track...love it. Last yr there was 5 ft of standing snow and w the 600 lb machine and me and the wife on it, it just floated over the snow. Reverse and a low forward gear. 800 cc fuel injected. I pull loads of cut wood in a large 'otter' plastic sled and it doesnt even know it. It just goes anywhere.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Last spring I bought a 2010 skidoo skandik Super Wide Track...love it. Last yr there was 5 ft of standing snow and w the 600 lb machine and me and the wife on it, it just floated over the snow. Reverse and a low forward gear. 800 cc fuel injected. I pull loads of cut wood in a large 'otter' plastic sled and it doesnt even know it. It just goes anywhere.
    It's a real shame they got rid of that sled Quite possibly the best total package utility machine they have built to date.

lujon i just like fuel injection better i ride will be riding at a large temperature range from-60 til 30 above and dont want to have jetting to worry about. cod and mod elan i looks like i will have to make another trip to the skidoo dealer and get more info from them thanks everyone for you info and please keep it coming i dont want to spend 10 to 12 grand and regret it. i will have about 15k to spend but will have to get a trailer to tow the sled on as well

thanks
    matt

The expedition Sport has the 4 stroke as well and a more comfy front suspension.

The skidoo 4 strokes seem to be working out very well for all the guys I know with them. The only complaint I have heard so far is starting in temps colder than -35. To avoid that problem I opted for the 600etec and so far am very happy with it. The machine itself is a skidoo expedition with a 20 inch wide track and it floats over the snow quite nicely. The advantage of the expedition over the tundra or the skandic is the improved suspension giving you a nicer ride at speed on trails and rivers. On the flip side, if you are going to be driving through lots of brush and such for trapping and hunting then the pogo suspension of the tundra or skandic is a better choice.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you decide you like the skidoo machines but compeaus doesn't have the model you want in stock you might try calling the eagle river skidoo dealer (team cc). I was driving past there yesterday and see they are advertising 3000 bucks off last years models. We have no snow down here so they probably haven't been selling too well so far this year. Just an option that might save you a few bucks.

did a little more research and the skidoo expedition sport has made the short. i hope to go to the dealers tomorrow and get some more info. it has the same size track as the venture mp but is lighter and has 600cc instead of 500cc. the price is about the same as the other 2 i was looking at but it might be better for what i want it for. it does seem though that the more research i do the more sleds i add to the short list by the time im ready to buy next fall there will be a long list instead. thanks and keep the good info coming also if you do have any info on the original sleds i was looking at please help me.

thanks
    matt

Get a Bearcat or a Tundra.

Personally, I like my Tundras.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Tundra long track you will be happy
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Tundra Extreme in 600 HO etec hands down best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    Tundra Extreme in 600 HO etec hands down best choice.
    Unless you are a cheap guy like me. New 550F Tundra LT is $8881. $2500 difference last time I was looking.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I bought a 2011 Skandic 600ace and it is great I run mysmall line with it. I wanted something a bit newerand had done the research on it and have not looked back. We went out yesterday and the Skandic usedhalf of the fuel that my older Yamaha MM used.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Tundra 4 stroke efi. I'll be selling my Polaris for one next season.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Last spring, when I bought my ''2010'' Skandik it had less than 2k miles on it and looked like it just came off the show room floor. I was leaning towards a tundra myself, but when this came up in the next town over, I took a peak and told him I'ld come get it the next day. Paid $8600 for it. I think new it was close to 12000 or so. I take it out almost every day. I'm glad I lucked into it.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast