Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the dumbest article ever?

Default Is this the dumbest article ever?

"Trappers shoot grizzly near Central" You don't have to actually subscribe to ADN to read this; just view it around their little "buy me now" popup.

Apparently this is an AP article; it is beyond me how anyone with a living brain cell considers this news, as its reported! Two guys out in the woods discovered a bear den; hunting season was open but they had inadequate guns to kill a grizzly, as they were trapping smaller game that day. Returning the next day with hunting rifles they shot the grizzly, and now have meat in their freezers and a nice rug for the wall.

The bear didn't charge, no one was mauled, just a couple hunters doing what hunters do.

Almost as Bad as the new TV commercial for auto insurance that has an African lion hunting Pronghorns! Now that too relies on an uneducated public.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Is this the dumbest article ever?

Two guys went hunting. They shot a bear. The end.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

ADM is anti-trapping.

Just last month they had a article asking if trappers were responsible for the decline in wolves in the park. In the article they say the number one killer of wolves is wolves and yet they insinuate it's the trappers.

It's not really dumb, just not very newsworthy. Every local news source has loads of that. It can't compete against all the truly dumb journalism out there!
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

What would you expect from a liberal rag like ADN?
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

These people are to lazy and scared to go out and hunt. So they think no one else should. I've seen them trying to tell everyone how important the wildlife is to the travel industry. And people should be killing less of these animals. Of course they left out how much this food helps local families survive.

Agreed. Not the dumbest, but definitely not newsworthy...

Some of the comments on there are completely outrageous and pathetically misguided. Jus way out there

Release Lake Trout

Even the last frontier isn't off limits to the uneducated wildlife media. What's the world coming to?

That paper leans so far left I'm surprised it hasn't tipped on its side by now.
    Unfortunately, I believe that it reflects a new immigrant to Alaska who is more interested in wine and cheese tasting parties, environmental causes and choosing new Berkenstocks than hunting or fishing.
    I don't expect ADN to survive much longer. As for myself, I haven't bought a copy for years because most of the content doesn't interest me, and like many others, I can access any news they have online for free.
    Used to be a good paper when it had to compete with the Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Almost as Bad as the new TV commercial for auto insurance that has an African lion hunting Pronghorns! Now that too relies on an uneducated public.
    Actually the commercial you are talking about is accurate. They say antelope in it...as in African Antelope

Man, are you legally blind Magpie?
    I understand the ad and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Man, are you legally blind Magpie?
    I understand the ad and like it.
    I'm not legally blind. But some say I have a deep voice like a grizzly bear? I understand the ad too, sadly some do not!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Actually the commercial you are talking about is accurate. They say antelope in it...as in African Antelope
    They can say ANYTHING, they showed a Pronghorn. Where in Africa can you find a Pronghorn?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

No, they are actually African antelope. I saw the commercial last night and took a ahrd look after your eaarlier comment. Sorry to disagree but they are not pronghorn. magpie, there is a font control. either you are yelling at us or can't see the smaller font, thus sayak's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    . magpie, there is a font control. either you are yelling at us or can't see the smaller font, thus sayak's comment.
    Everything looks normal on this end, maybe try updating your browser! Btw I'm curious, how does one yell over the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    everything looks normal on this end, maybe try updating your browser! Btw i'm curious, how does one yell over the internet?
    By using size 7 font.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I think the facts alone would make the story newsworthy. Very rare for a bear to be seen much less harvested in the interior in December. Maybe if the AP knew why they were told to write a story on the subject they'd have added the info to make it......newsworthy.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    No, they are actually African antelope. I saw the commercial last night and took a ahrd look after your eaarlier comment. Sorry to disagree but they are not pronghorn. magpie, there is a font control. either you are yelling at us or can't see the smaller font, thus sayak's comment.
    I've seen that commercial and I think they are addax antelope, which as far as I know are actually extinct in Africa. They have distinct stripes on their face in the commercial so it has to be an addax or kudu, maybe even an eland. The first time I saw it my gut told me that it's an addax antelope and made me laugh because a lion wouldn't even have the chance to hunt them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast