Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bear hunting rifle size?

Default Best bear hunting rifle size?

I know this is a "loaded" question but any consensus on what rifle size is the best for bear hunting in Ak?

What kind of bear?

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    I know this is a "loaded" question but any consensus on what rifle size is the best for bear hunting in Ak?
    .30-06, .300 and or .338. Like Arts. question, depends on what bear your after.. Might give you a reason to buy 3...
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

The one you can shoot best

Do a search, this has been covered in length before on here.

375AI.....does it all!...Moose hate it too!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    I like a medium one

The best rifle is the one you have, save the money for a new rifle and use it to fly somewhere in which you can shoot a giant bear... Odds are you have a 30-06 or .338 or .308 any of them will work... guys kill bears with bows all the time so just about any rifle will work.... My vote would be .338 with 225 grain nosler partitions

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    guys kill bears with bows all the time so just about any rifle will work....
    Sorry guy but I don't agree with this statement at all. Shooting a big bear with an arrow and shooting one with a bullet are two entirely different things. You make it sound like just because a big bear falls to an arrow then it must be a given that one should fall to, as you put it, "just about any rifle". Not even close. A perfectly placed, heavy, razor sharp, deep penetrating broad head, will do far more damage than say even an 06' put in the wrong place or hit with the wrong type of bullet. One of the cleanest, quietest, quickest kills I have ever seen on a BIG brown bear was with an arrow. You use the wrong bullet with not enough umph behind it and hit a big bear's shoulder where it doesn't penetrate and he's gonna run off.

Heck, I have a a friend who is an excellent hunter and a phenomenal shot who shoots a 340 WBY tell me he had a huge brownie walk into his yard one day. He said that it was the first time he ever felt under gunned.

Now I do agree with you saying a 338 with the 225 np is a good choice. But I sure would stay away from telling the guy just about any rifle will work. Besides, for all you know the guy may not even have a big/er bore and is looking to buy one. Thus the reason for the question?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Like you said placed in the right spot, a bad shot with a .338 still wont finish the game.... It is a better option with a big bore on a bad shot, but shot placement is everything with all weapons....

At least 44 inches keeee. 300wm would do awesome.

Like you said placed in the right spot, a bad shot with a .338 still wont finish the game.... It is a better option with a big bore on a bad shot, but shot placement is everything with all weapons....
    Remember, you're the one who said "just about any rifle will work". Still....I have a 270 and I know I wouldn't go after a big brownie with it. I'm not saying it won't kill a big bear, but just too many things can happen when it comes time to squeeze the trigger.

Any highpowered rifle will work if shot placement is correct, just like using a bow.... perhaps I should have been more specific, my bad...

Any highpowered rifle will work if shot placement is correct, just like using a bow.... perhaps I should have been more specific, my bad...
    BS, anyone that thinks they are going to wondered into the brown bear patch with any gun is a fool, unless they plan on shooting a 7' rat! Crawl 50 yds up on a true 10' brownie with your high-powered 308, I not saying it wouldn't kill him, it's just not fair to the bear or you! Better yet, go into the brush after a wounded 10 bear with the 308!....let me know how that works out for you!.....grin

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    BS, anyone that thinks they are going to wondered into the brown bear patch with any gun is a fool, unless they plan on shooting a 7' rat! Crawl 50 yds up on a true 10' brownie with your high-powered 308, I not saying it wouldn't kill him, it's just not fair to the bear or you! Better yet, go into the brush after a wounded 10 bear with the 308!....let me know how that works out for you!.....grin
    yup its not always a question of what kills em, it could be a question of what stops them when the "what kills them" goes wrong.... thats why guides usually carry large caliber guns as backup...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    yup its not always a question of what kills em, it could be a question of what stops them when the "what kills them" goes wrong.... thats why guides usually carry large caliber guns as backup...just sayin

yep I agree...

My question on this has always been, why wouldn't ya carry a large caliber/gun pursuing big Brown Bears? not a prudent decision to pack a small gun IMO

416 or 375 for big bears shooting a quality bullet.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    .....it could be a question of what stops them when the "what kills them" goes wrong....
    ....And that potential seems to always be around........lurking for the chance.....

this of course has been hashed out on here so many times...but hell i'm kinda bored

i suppose a decent defense for "just any old gun" could be made for killing a big bear for subsistence...in our state there are still people that hunt bears for food, and many times "opportunistic" circumstances occur and bears end up hitting the table from all sorts of little bullets put in the right spots, generally central nervous system hits. i'm not the guy thats gonna judge those hunters.......

but....

after a little experience, watching quite a few big bears die, having to sort out a few wounded brownies, and most importantly finding out first hand how easy it is to lose a poorly shot bear, i've developed some fairly blunt opinions about using deer rifles to shoot big bears.....its simple. YOU JUST DONT.

still amazes me that so many hunters condone small calibers for our planets largest land predator...lets all say the last part together now: LARGEST LAND PREDATOR THAT WALKS OUR EARTH.

anyone that goes on a premeditated bear hunt with full intentions of successfully and safely taking a brown/grizzly bear, and does so with a gun that doesnt have enough energy to shoot completely through a thousand pounds of bear FROM ANY ANGLE IMAGINABLE (i promise he aint gonna stand broadside after the first...hence the need to be able to shoot him through and through, end to end, from any angle, and still get the bullets into the places that'll kill him) has blatant disregard for the animal, hunter safety, and grossly increases the chance of loss if a poor first shot is made.

kinda arrogant as well if ya ask me...your pretty much saying you will not make a mistake, and if you do make a mistake your ok with wounded loss of a dangerous animal......

sure...i've said it before and i should mention it again i suppose: we can take any old common deer rifle and go kill brown bears with it...i promise. you stop the brain, hit the spine, or double lung a brown bear with a 270 and he'll die. However if your human and you make a mistake: what you WONT DO is accomplish decent bullet performance with such little pills when that big bear you just got shot with your little gun starts spinning and rolling and running. period. your not gonna shoot a large mature male brown bear in the rear quarter with a 270 and find your bullet under the skin of his chest....but my 375 and many adequate calibers will, and do. and they'll do it time and time again with decent bullets.

so i guess if your perfect, and you never miss a shot, and you have complete disregard for one of our most valuable resources, then by all means, take your sheep gun bear hunting...but then again, that guy doesnt exist.

300 caliber or bigger, bonded, copper (barnes) or partitions. period. and if ya cant shoot that size gun accurately with all the recoil dampening gadgets we got these days...then stick to deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    this of course has been hashed out on here so many times...but hell i'm kinda bored

i suppose a decent defense for "just any old gun" could be made for killing a big bear for subsistence...in our state there are still people that hunt bears for food, and many times "opportunistic" circumstances occur and bears end up hitting the table from all sorts of little bullets put in the right spots, generally central nervous system hits. i'm not the guy thats gonna judge those hunters.......

but....

after a little experience, watching quite a few big bears die, having to sort out a few wounded brownies, and most importantly finding out first hand how easy it is to lose a poorly shot bear, i've developed some fairly blunt opinions about using deer rifles to shoot big bears.....its simple. YOU JUST DONT.

still amazes me that so many hunters condone small calibers for our planets largest land predator...lets all say the last part together now: LARGEST LAND PREDATOR THAT WALKS OUR EARTH.

anyone that goes on a premeditated bear hunt with full intentions of successfully and safely taking a brown/grizzly bear, and does so with a gun that doesnt have enough energy to shoot completely through a thousand pounds of bear FROM ANY ANGLE IMAGINABLE (i promise he aint gonna stand broadside after the first...hence the need to be able to shoot him through and through, end to end, from any angle, and still get the bullets into the places that'll kill him) has blatant disregard for the animal, hunter safety, and grossly increases the chance of loss if a poor first shot is made.

kinda arrogant as well if ya ask me...your pretty much saying you will not make a mistake, and if you do make a mistake your ok with wounded loss of a dangerous animal......

sure...i've said it before and i should mention it again i suppose: we can take any old common deer rifle and go kill brown bears with it...i promise. you stop the brain, hit the spine, or double lung a brown bear with a 270 and he'll die. However if your human and you make a mistake: what you WONT DO is accomplish decent bullet performance with such little pills when that big bear you just got shot with your little gun starts spinning and rolling and running. period. your not gonna shoot a large mature male brown bear in the rear quarter with a 270 and find your bullet under the skin of his chest....but my 375 and many adequate calibers will, and do. and they'll do it time and time again with decent bullets.

so i guess if your perfect, and you never miss a shot, and you have complete disregard for one of our most valuable resources, then by all means, take your sheep gun bear hunting...but then again, that guy doesnt exist.

300 caliber or bigger, bonded, copper (barnes) or partitions. period. and if ya cant shoot that size gun accurately with all the recoil dampening gadgets we got these days...then stick to deer hunting.
    Amen brother!.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast