Thread: Repairing Marlin Model 60 FTE/Feed

Default Repairing Marlin Model 60 FTE/Feed

I have a Marlin Model 60, tube-fed semiauto rimfire that my Dad bought new for me in 1986. The gun has upwards of 10k rounds through it. (It was my practice gun when I was shooting NRA Hi-Power, so I put about 200 rds through it every week for about two years.)

The issue is that, as the spent casing is coming out and the new round is coming in, the new round scrapes on the ejector lifter spring and doesn't load. So what I end up with is both pieces stuck in the gun and the unfired round bent and damaged in the chamber. This happens every single time regardless of the ammo used. The gun will fire and eject properly with an empty magazine tube. (Tube has to be out of the gun.)

From reading on the internet at places like rimfirecenteral and THR, this appears to be most commonly related to a bad ejector lifter spring, although the connection to removing the magazine tube has me concerned that it could be something int here as well. Another issue (or non-issue) with this gun is the recoil spring is bent about 30 degrees. (I bent it putting it back in when I was 14-ish; it's never had an effect on functioning of the gun.)

So that's where I'm at. Brownell's sells that whole assembly that sits between the bolt and the action (side plate assembly) for $52, or I could try to to disassemble mine and replace just the ejector lifter spring ($10.00). Cost isn't the issue; my aviation background says fix it once and be done by eliminating any variables. (If the ejector spring is worn out, what other springs are also about to give out?) But I also like to change only one part. So I dunno. (I'm also unsure of my ability to reassemble that assembly-it's a maze of springs and latches.)

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I have a Marlin Model 60, tube-fed semiauto rimfire that my Dad bought new for me in 1986. The gun has upwards of 10k rounds through it. (It was my practice gun when I was shooting NRA Hi-Power, so I put about 200 rds through it every week for about two years.)

The issue is that, as the spent casing is coming out and the new round is coming in, the new round scrapes on the ejector lifter spring and doesn't load. So what I end up with is both pieces stuck in the gun and the unfired round bent and damaged in the chamber. This happens every single time regardless of the ammo used. The gun will fire and eject properly with an empty magazine tube. (Tube has to be out of the gun.)

From reading on the internet at places like rimfirecenteral and THR, this appears to be most commonly related to a bad ejector lifter spring, although the connection to removing the magazine tube has me concerned that it could be something int here as well. Another issue (or non-issue) with this gun is the recoil spring is bent about 30 degrees. (I bent it putting it back in when I was 14-ish; it's never had an effect on functioning of the gun.)

So that's where I'm at. Brownell's sells that whole assembly that sits between the bolt and the action (side plate assembly) for $52, or I could try to to disassemble mine and replace just the ejector lifter spring ($10.00). Cost isn't the issue; my aviation background says fix it once and be done by eliminating any variables. (If the ejector spring is worn out, what other springs are also about to give out?) But I also like to change only one part. So I dunno. (I'm also unsure of my ability to reassemble that assembly-it's a maze of springs and latches.)

Thoughts?
    might replace the recoil buffer in the back, while you are ordering parts . The nylon gets hard and often crumbles. I have have seen several fail, new buffer works wonders. Hope that helps