Thread: knik river info ?

Default knik river info ?

Looking to get out the raft this weekend & was hoping to do a short float close by. Thinking the upper kenai or the knik, or one each day.
    Anyway never floated the knick, where is the laucnh place & take out ? Is it possible to put in by the powerplant & pull out by the highway or do you start closer to the birdge by jim creek ?
    Any info would be appreciated.

If you put in at the power plant you won't have a very long float.I would drive as far as you can up Knik River road and put in.Be carefull about getting hung up on sand bars.The river is very dirty and hard to follow the channels.I would stay in the fastest water.Good luck,have fun!

If you are looking for a days float you will have to put in as far up Knik River Rd as possible, just like trailblazersteve mentioned. If you put in at the power plant you will enjoy all 30 minutes of the float. I just took my boat up the lower portion of Knik & Matanuska. The river is running pretty low right now, a lot of shallow spots by the power plant, the main channel is deep as always. Nothing unnavigatable.

Default Thanks

thanks for the info.