Thread: Storing tied rigs

Default Storing tied rigs

I'm looking for a good way to store pre-tied rigs in my garage. I'm sure some of you guys have a large section of your garage dedicated to storing fishing gear...anyone have a good system for storing rigs (aside from coiling them up in plastic bags?)

I use a piece of foam pipe insuation, the black round stuff, cut it in about 6 to 8 inch lengths, I cut slots in the foam about 1/2" deep 3/4" apart, hook the hook, wrap the leader around the foam, then put the tag end in the slot to hold it on the round foam. Seems to work, I then put a few of these loaded foam pieces in a gallon zip log bag, they stack real easy. Then when ready to go fishing I take the leaders off the foam and put them in the Peps leader dispencer. I also put swivils, and weights in a Peps, then it all goes in a fanny, waist pack, easy to get to and it is all in one place, ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
    I'm looking for a good way to store pre-tied rigs in my garage. I'm sure some of you guys have a large section of your garage dedicated to storing fishing gear...anyone have a good system for storing rigs (aside from coiling them up in plastic bags?)
    What kind of rigs are you talking about? I stow all my halibut rigs in gallon zip lock bags. And on my boat I just drape my used rigs over one of those 25 lb. plastic cat litter containers hooking the hook on the rim and draping the rest of the leader into the container. For my salmon rigs I have one of those little plastic cylinders (for lack of a better term) that Cliffhanger gave me that is covered with Velcro and has plastic tabs along its length you hook the hooks into and then wrap the line around. It's great. On my boat I have a 1" diameter hand rail along the wall that I just cut a length of pipe insulation (like gerberman said) to fit its length and I just stick the hooks into it, wind the line around it and then just stick the end of the leader into the insulation. When I want a new leader I just grab the hook and pull and it spools right off.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

These have been working really good for me for mooching rigs, hootchies, etc

http://www.basspro.com/Tackle-Buddy-...product/16624/
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    These have been working really good for me for mooching rigs, hootchies, etc

http://www.basspro.com/Tackle-Buddy-...product/16624/
    These things are great. They are hollow, so you can store spare hooks, swivels, hoochies, etc, inside.

Big_E

Actually, its part of a larger issue of how to build my fishing storage area in my garage. I've got room to build a kind of fishing bench where I can work on lures and stuff. So, I'm wondering what kind of set ups people have for all kinds of storage, lure building, gear organizing and such...

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
    Actually, its part of a larger issue of how to build my fishing storage area in my garage. I've got room to build a kind of fishing bench where I can work on lures and stuff. So, I'm wondering what kind of set ups people have for all kinds of storage, lure building, gear organizing and such...
    I use a series of Plano style boxes that house like things such as, rubber tails in one, jigs in another, and so on. I just use 2 shelves in the garage to stack all of those items together so when I want to go out there and play everything is quick and handy. All of the spare reels have their totes as well as 'overflow' tackle that I use to replenish the boat boxes as needed...if I get low in that big tote I head to the store with a small inventory list. I store all of my go-to rods (12) on the ceiling and store the rest in multiple tubes in a designated corner. A small section of pegboard on the wall can help with storing dedicated tools and packages of hooks and so forth. For me an overkill bench isn`t needed as I believe the more space you have the less likely you will be to police it up after use...making the job not so fun the next time.

I found a while back that it is too frustrating on the water to have multiple leaders pre-made for Halibut and Salmon. Instead, I will keep 3-4 leaders for Halibut coiled in a plastic box along with some of the needed tools like flexible tape measure, large hooks, and skirts. Really it only takes a minute to make a rig and I like to have all the equipment in top shape so rigs like hoochies are rigged as needed and dismantled after the trip. Lots of smaller Plano style boxes make quick work of keeping all the little things organized and tidy.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff