Thread: Going Prospecting

Default Going Prospecting

Hi Everyone,

I am retiring in 2013 to be a full time prospector and writer. I ran the forums at AMDS and with my retirement they are being shut down. So I decided to get out and about to check out other related forums to hang out on and possibly direct others to.

My big plan for summer of 2013 is a 6" dredging operation with my brother up in the 40 Mile country near Chicken. Have a new Keene 6218GMH on order right now for the operation. Anyway, I am plenty excited to be making prospecting my full time gig so I will hang around and let you know how it goes.

Steve Herschbach
    www.DetectorProspector.com

Too bad about shutting down AMDS forum. Was developing into a great site. Understandable that you are letting it go however.

You have the toys, resources and know-how to make retirement actually pay off!

Good luck out there and hope your 'new life' will be a happy one.

Be sure to include this site in your updates and hopefully share some of your knowledge with us. I'll bookmark your new site and check in occasionally.

BTW - Really appreciate all of the detector knowledge you have shared on AMDS forum. Has helped form a solid opinion on future purchases.

Shame to hear about the AMDS forums. I purchased my first detector, (Fisher F75 LTD) from you and was looking to the forums as a way to learn from people with practical experience.

Iím planning on retiring pretty soon also. While I donít plan on prospecting to be full time, it does seem like a fun way to explore Alaska.

Anyway, best of luck to you and thanks for all the work you put into the AMDS forum.
    Kelvin

Well, I will be dropping in here so ask away whenever! The F75 is one of my favorite detectors. I am also moderating over at Findmall.

Steve Herschbach

I hunted the Chicken area ten years ago and will be through there this summer and fall. If you need a hand with something, holler. I'll be in my truck with a fifth wheel toyhauler.

Thanks for your effort at AK Mining. I got allot of great information there. Good luck!

You are welcome and thank you everyone who has supported AMDS over the years. My partner and I sold the business to the employees, so now it is both locally and employee owned. Hard to believe Friday was my last day after 37 years. I will miss everyone there but will visit now and then.

Now on to the next chapter in my life. The dredging has been put off for a year while I wander the state with a metal detector. Lots of great prospects ahead. Good luck to everyone this summer!

Steve Herschbach
    www.DetectorProspector.com

Steve We are looking forward to your prospecting reports! Retirement is one of the most stressful things a person can do. Hard to make the transition between being a person of value with a job and then being able to do what you have always wanted to do and never having the time. I made the switch about 5 years ago. Keeping busy is what I used to cope, lucky to have a great shop to work in.
    Right now my wife is retiring from her job of 16 years. A job she loves but stress was getting to her. Customers would call or email her because she had all the answers! Now she has the stress of retirement to deal with. Our generation was brought up to believe work comes first and you are valued because you have a Job! Hard to make that switch.
    We are headed to Alaska in two weeks via Canada with truck and camper. Maybe we will have time to look you up!!
    Retired guy with too many hobbies....
    Shooting, reloading, metal fab/home machine shop.
    VW TDI diesel, fishing, Prospecting, Trip to Alaska via RV
    Retired from commercial HVAC / Master Electrician

I feel lucky then. I hear what you are saying - my wife has issues with not working at a regular job. I on the other hand have never felt my having a particular day job had anything to do with my value as a person. The only retiring I am doing is from AMDS. I have been self employed for all but a few years of my life and nothing really changes in that regard. I will still be working and still be making money. I just will be doing it without punching a clock. No stressing over that.

The only stress I am feeling is getting moved. My house is on the market, doing showings daily, and stacking pallets of boxes today to ship south. Hope to hit the road for Reno next week, then be back in Alaska and prospecting by the 17th of June. I should start posting some reports back by the end of June. Can't wait to get out and get at it!

Good luck on your own Alaska adventure. I should be hanging around Chicken July 4th so maybe I will see you there.