Thread: Cordova Honeymoon!

Default Cordova Honeymoon!

I'm finally making good on my promise to give my wife the honeymoon of her dreams... a month in a tent in the Cordova area! It was either that or Hawaii. I wasn't really listening... But seriously my wife and I love to hunt together and we are headed south to Cordova this fall to chase some critters! I have an 18ft jon boat with a 27hp godevil long tail on the back that I plan on taking on the ferry with us from Valdez... yes I know its a little pricey but to have the freedom to go where ever we want in our own boat is worth it to us. That being said I would like to know what to expect as far as where we will be able to go and how tides will effect our movement... I have been stuck in the mud before at low tide and although its not a big deal to wait for high tide it can make things tough. So Hawkins island? Hichinbrook? what about Montague? Rude River? Power Creek? Simpson Creek? I understand weather conditions will dictate weather or not I can get to some of these areas but some first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Wow....if that's a honeymoon of her dreams you are indeed a lucky man.....!!! Yes, you have to pay attention to the tides if you don't want to be hindered. Not a daunting task, but just always be aware.

I remember an ill fated trip to the PWS. And because a couple guys didn't listen to me when it came to anchoring up boats, well......lets just say.....we're lucky we still aren't there.....lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

yes I am a lucky man. How do you anchor a boat out there with the ever changing tides? ive heard of guys using a pulley system of some sort...?

Sounds like a great adventure. Your a lucky guy. My wife hunts but more of the 5 star Africa lodge type. Don't think she would be choosing that over Hawaii! Have fun.

well what are you chasing..when are you chasing them?
    cordova is a neat place some of the rivers are nasty water, not sure what your gonna do up the rude river, or what kinda current that 27horse can handle. almost better off pluggin into the copper river and cruising on up. or get a plane to fly you around for a hour and look over all the rivers on the road system there, that'd tell you more than 6 months of research in here.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wear a rubber!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by afman87 View Post
    I'm finally making good on my promise to give my wife the honeymoon of her dreams......I have an 18ft jon boat
    Hawaii sounds like a much better (safer) honey moon if you ask me. I spend 40-50 days out on PWS every season and would not take a "jon boat" out there. Fall weather in the Sound can be very unforgiving. Hire a transporter to take you, your bride, and your jon boat to the mouth of the river you chose to hunt. This will afford you the opportunity to check your rear view mirror for child seats..
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

sounds good thanks for the advice guys. We will be trying to find a taxi to take around hopefully to Montague... Any body know one?