Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outfitter info

Default outfitter info

Does anyone know of or have feedback for an outfitter named Jerry Jacques? Is a master guide who left Alaska to be a private pilot and has now returned and bought a lodge on Lake Illiama. Looking at a moose hunt with him. The few references i have found give him good marks. Any info is appreciated and will be kept confidential if you wish. Thanks, Scott F. Or if you have thoughts on another very good moose guide, please post or respond as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redneck hunter View Post
    Does anyone know of or have feedback for an outfitter named Jerry Jacques? Is a master guide who left Alaska to be a private pilot and has now returned and bought a lodge on Lake Illiama. Looking at a moose hunt with him. The few references i have found give him good marks. Any info is appreciated and will be kept confidential if you wish. Thanks, Scott F. Or if you have thoughts on another very good moose guide, please post or respond as well.
    don't have much info for ya on Jerry but I can probably point you too some top notch guides if you like. Drop me a note at thesheephunter@yahoo.com and I will try to help you out

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    don't have much info for ya on Jerry but I can probably point you too some top notch guides if you like. Drop me a note at thesheephunter@yahoo.com and I will try to help you out
    bear, you would be the sheephunter at yahoo.com wouldnt ya?

thinkin' i'd look else where for moose than with jerry....maybe check ninefoots avatar.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

jake, please pm me additional info if you care to. thanks.

I do some guiding for moose, mostly on the AK Peninsula. My last 2 moose I guided were 69" and 69 1'2". Truly lunkers. They were the ONLY legal moose I saw in 19 days of hunting. If I wanted to kill a yukon moose, I would hunt the Yukon. Sorry AK, but they just have better hunting right now. There are pockets in AK with excellent hunting don't get me wrong but the Canadians have a better system IMO.

Now I AM going to try to kill my own bull moose here in the next year or two, I will hunt AK ;-)
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Now, after saying that I truly believe an AK DIY hunt can't be beat anywhere. I plan on doing that myself shortly. I think I am going to hire a hunt planner, I don't live in moose country but have the abilities to make it happen if I see one.

Now if you want guided in AK, this fella is a fantastic hunter and one of the best guys I have ever shared a camp with.

http://www.kitchelsalaskaguideservice.com/guide.html
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

can't pm you yet, not sure if you have to have a minimum amount of posts or something. jerry used to guide in the area i guided in...so i've got some first hand experience with his ethics...can't say much about his moose area if he still has one though.
    the ak pen has some whopper moose on it like gooch said...down near sand point was where i've seen the most bulls...the farther out and more remote...
    Master guide 212

I'm also looking at a spring brown bear hunt with Jerry, just in the preliminary stages. Appreciate any postive or negative feedback.

Happy New Year!

Best Regards,

Chuck

rednech hunter got you email and will get back to you as soon as I can.. work got a little busy but I want to help you in any way I can
    Dave

Not sure what its worth but several friends that are guides speak very highlly of Mr Jacques as being both very professional and a man of his word and ethical beyound reproach.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck hunter View Post

i'd reproach if i could pm.....
    Master guide 212

You're a fast mover wesley to have met folks that actually know Jerry in the short time period you've been in the state.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I don't know Jerry personally but I've got friends and a great friend who knows him well and speaks very highly of him. I hear he's a great pilot, very competent and hard working outside of that I can't say what kind of area he has or if he has ethics issues as some suggest because I've never spent a day in the field with him. I do know that none of our mutual acquaintances have had a cross word to say about him. I have heard some pretty amazing stories about him though that would suggest his balls clang when he walks.

+1 on Gooch's recommendation of Troy Kitchel at Kitchel's Alaska Guide Service. After a lot of research in looking to make my dream of hunting Alaska a reality, I decide on using Troy for my first Alaskan hunt in 2005. His communication from start to finish was great. I'd call him frequently with questions because I was so excited to finally be hunting in Alaska and he always took the time to speak with me (even if redundant or how silly my questions were). We still remain in contact with each other to this date. I was successful and saw lots of game. I wouldn't hesitate on booking with him again.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

thanks to all who replied. brwnbr, i am getting some messages from other members. they are coming into my regular email and i'm able to read them.so if you'd like to message me, please try. thanks.

An interesting thread and I will toss in my two cents worth. Unlike the other posts on this thread I am not repeating rumors nor second hand gossip. I am speaking from personal experience, observation, and as a past direct competitor with Jerry in the hunting environment.

I have known Jerry upwards to 35 years, long before he got his guides license. For what itís worth, I am a retired Master guide. Jerry worked for me as an assistant guide for many years. I mentored him in the business of hunting, no little part of which was hammering in the standards that we stood forÖ ethics in hunting and in life, respect for the law and the client, honesty, honor, and integrityÖin the field and out. I have never seen Jerry do anything that violated these standards even though doing so would have been to his advantage.

Later Jerry obtained his guide license and we became direct competitors. At times we guided in the same areas and I encountered his camps, guides and clients on a regular basis. When Jerry obtained his guide license he DID NOT contact my client base. (I have never known another assistant guide that did not try to book his employers past clients.) When past clients contacted him, he refused to talk to them, leave alone book them on a hunt, unless they called me first, and I called Jerry and agreed. Thatís a firsthand testament to his ethics and integrity. Furthermore, the man is an excellent pilot, hard worker and excellent hunter, as good as any, and far better than most.

The negative comments here are vague, questionable and irresponsible at best. Letís raise the standard a bit.

If you steal from a man, he can replace what was stolen, if you vandalize his equipment he can mend it, but when you unjustly attack a manís reputation you cause a damage that can never be completely restored. Life is hard enough for everyone without injury caused by false defamation and professional jealousy. The best way to stand tall is to grow tall, not cut others down, and I for one believe we need to remember this on these forums. If you are only willing to say something on a PM, not out where a person can defend himself, then we should probably doubt the content of the PM.

The professional jealousy in the guiding industry makes opera divas and ballerinas look petty. On these forums we all are looking for fact, not rumorÖ.so letís raise our standards.

I believe in this, and I will sign my name to these comments in public. Larry Rivers Master Guide #68

Larry, thank you for responding and stating your case. I appreciate your candid comments and your support of a man you think highly of. I will strongly consider what you said.

Thank you for your answer. Hearing from a well repected guide with the history of being one of the top producers of big bears on the am penn was refreshing. No petty jealousies in your reply for that you have my respect SIR.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub driver View Post
    An interesting thread and I will toss in my two cents worth. Unlike the other posts on this thread I am not repeating rumors nor second hand gossip. I am speaking from personal experience, observation, and as a past direct competitor with Jerry in the hunting environment.

I have known Jerry upwards to 35 years, long before he got his guides license. For what itís worth, I am a retired Master guide. Jerry worked for me as an assistant guide for many years. I mentored him in the business of hunting, no little part of which was hammering in the standards that we stood forÖ ethics in hunting and in life, respect for the law and the client, honesty, honor, and integrityÖin the field and out. I have never seen Jerry do anything that violated these standards even though doing so would have been to his advantage.

Later Jerry obtained his guide license and we became direct competitors. At times we guided in the same areas and I encountered his camps, guides and clients on a regular basis. When Jerry obtained his guide license he DID NOT contact my client base. (I have never known another assistant guide that did not try to book his employers past clients.) When past clients contacted him, he refused to talk to them, leave alone book them on a hunt, unless they called me first, and I called Jerry and agreed. Thatís a firsthand testament to his ethics and integrity. Furthermore, the man is an excellent pilot, hard worker and excellent hunter, as good as any, and far better than most.

The negative comments here are vague, questionable and irresponsible at best. Letís raise the standard a bit.

If you steal from a man, he can replace what was stolen, if you vandalize his equipment he can mend it, but when you unjustly attack a manís reputation you cause a damage that can never be completely restored. Life is hard enough for everyone without injury caused by false defamation and professional jealousy. The best way to stand tall is to grow tall, not cut others down, and I for one believe we need to remember this on these forums. If you are only willing to say something on a PM, not out where a person can defend himself, then we should probably doubt the content of the PM.

The professional jealousy in the guiding industry makes opera divas and ballerinas look petty. On these forums we all are looking for fact, not rumorÖ.so letís raise our standards.

I believe in this, and I will sign my name to these comments in public. Larry Rivers Master Guide #68

Quote Originally Posted by supercub driver View Post
    If you are only willing to say something on a PM, not out where a person can defend himself, then we should probably doubt the content of the PM.

I ain't got a dog in this fight, but stated forum rules are that no negative comments can be made about a guide/business anywhere BUT in the PM feature.

Ya know, because only GOOD things said are true, never the bad....And yes, that statement is dripping in sarcasm.
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast