Thread: crossing the border with powder

Default crossing the border with powder

So it appears to be legal but just wondering if anyone ever did it and had problems crossing the border with reloading supplies such as powder and primers
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    So it appears to be legal but just wondering if anyone ever did it and had problems crossing the border with reloading supplies such as powder and primers
    thanks
    Just taped to my chest.... Kind of like ol boy in the movie midnight express... But I hear Canadian prisons are better than Turkish prisons

It is legal but Canada has limits on how much you can cross with. It was 4000 primers and 4kilos of smokeless and a certain amount of black powder but my memory is not so good so you need to check current Canadian laws before you hit the border. I crossed about 4 years ago with some powder and primers with no problem.

My experience is that they're more concerned about firearms than components. I was under limit in my recent move to L48, but was never asked at the border about components.

Thanks for the info fellas. I have of course been reading the Canadian rules on it but sometimes things at the border can be a little tricky so I appreciate the real world advice too..thanks again..

I crossed into Canada at the border crossing just north of Kalispell, MT summer 2011 with 4 lbs of 4895 and a few thousand primers, and a few hundred rounds, each packed in separate GI ammo cans (along with a gallon of gasoline in those Coleman camp stove fuel bottles and those aluminum drinking bottles), and nobody even questioned me about carrying guns, ammo, etc. It was more like the drive through at Tim Horton's than a border crossing. (Can I get a double double and an egg salad sandwich please? Je vourdais un double double et un sandwich d'ouefs salade si vous plait.) I love Canada.

I got kicked out Canada years ago for some reason - they gave me three days to leave for some unknown reason.

I'm going to drive out out next summer (2013) - guess I need to find out what the rules are before then.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Iíve done it too, guns, ammo, and components always within the Canadian rules. I always get the funny looks from the U.S. when I cross back in.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I got kicked out Canada years ago for some reason - they gave me three days to leave for some unknown reason.
    Maybe they thought you were going to start a 'Fishery Management Forum' there.
    (Sorry...couldn't help myself.)
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post

Couldn't help myself . .

Default I think..

Actually, I think they suspected me I was just another worthless disgusting HIPPIE. I was returning home from the Middle East after spending a year running around in the desert and Europe, and I really looked pretty rough and scruffy- long hair, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Iíve done it too, guns, ammo, and components always within the Canadian rules. I always get the funny looks from the U.S. when I cross back in.
    I honestly have had more issues with the US side the ever on the Canadian side..

Sorry tvfinak, but I had to chuckle too when you posted you were booted from Canada! No reason given though, that is a little concerning? I have driven through with components on two of my trips. Tried to stay within the Canadian laws as best I could. Reckon I might have played loose with those rules. Thousands of primers, maybe 10-20 pounds of powder and lots of loaded ammunition. I was hoping it would go well in my favor if I did get checked in that I had my wife and two of my kids over 18, but not sure they would have looked at it that way. I know I didn't have over the limit for each person combined. Anyway, every time I have made the drive, 5X in all, they have been more concerned about handguns and semi-auto rifles none of which I had with me. Always shipped those in household goods. Somewhere buried in their customs websites, they give actual numbers of powder, primers, and loaded ammunition. If I remember right, the loaded ammo detracts from the amount of primers, but not sure??

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    If I remember right, the loaded ammo detracts from the amount of primers, but not sure??
    I havenít looked in a long time but it was ď2000 rounds of ammunition or the components to make 2000 rounds.Ē Then itemized like 4 kilos powder max and 2000 primers, the powder and primers in your ammo is counted in the total maximum. But thatís from memory so donít go quoting me to the RCMP, look it up or call Canada.

TVís 3 days to leave was funny, it struck me like the old bar room joke ďIíll give you five minuets to stop rubbing on that.Ē
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Gentlemen, I'm new to posting here, but do enjoy reading a lot. As a Canadian, maybe this will be of help regarding importing ammo/reloading components. The info below is taken from the same place. I just copied it for quick reference. Here's the link for more details : Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

Ammunition

You may import authorized sporting and competitive ammunition and reloading components for your personal use.
    Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:

• small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
    • primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
    • empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
    • propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4000 grams and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).

Welcome BB07 and thanks for digging the link up. Looks like the qunitys have gone way up in the last couple years.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yes, welcome to the forum BB07 and thank you for taking the time to post up that info.