Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbled brass full of media..how do you handle it...?

Default Tumbled brass full of media..how do you handle it...?

I find that the walnut shell powder gets in the brass so I tap the brass on my bench to get some out...it has to effect volume...any thoughts or suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    I find that the walnut shell powder gets in the brass so I tap the brass on my bench to get some out...it has to effect volume...any thoughts or suggestions ?
    Wash in warm water and a drop of dawn soap. I also tumble before I deprim and size to avoid media in the primer pockets
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

What I have been doing for the last few months is tumble the fired brass in walnut shell till it is good and clean, dump it out through the media seperator - like they keep the balls in at a bingo parlor - and then tumble it a little while in corn cob media. I put about half a sheet of dryer anti-static cloth in the corn cob, usually I just tear it into strips about 1-2" wide.

The antistatic cloth picks up the excess jewler's rogue off the brass, through the media seperator again and ready to size.

Good idea...I think my media is to old as well, very dusty...I won't let it go that long, plus try the dryer cloth..

I got tired of digging media out of primer pockets. Bought a tumbler and some stainless media. Been 5 years and still using the same media I first bought.

Old Way

New Way.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What Stid says is true. Cleanest brass you will ever see! The only downside is that the tumbler will not do as much brass as a dry media tumbler but thats ok with me since the brass is as good as new.

What are you using for walnut media? I buy this stuff at the pet store and it's really fine. Cheap too. I decap, tumble then size/load. Been using it for a few years, never have had any of it stuck in the flash hole.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752164

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have had a couple issues with stuck media but not many and usually when using corn cob. Tumbling before decamping elements the trouble 100%, itís dirty on the media but media is cheap at good pet shops. I still find myself tumbling un-primed sometimes but I then ether use a pocket cleaning tool or run them through the sizing die with the stem in and it knocks out anything stuck in there right down the primer tube into the trash.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've been using the same Lizard litter that Snyd is using and have had very few stuck in the primer hole. I pull rifle brass from the vibrator by hand and hold the case against the inside of the vibrator neck down while it's running. This clears everything but a few flash holes. If I am preparing rifle cases I deprime them with the lee unit then a bath in Birchwood Casey liquid case cleaner. I dry them, then in the vibrator with lizzard litter and then size them which assures there are no plugged primer holes. Then uniform flash hole, deburr flash hole, uniform primer pocket and finally trim if needed.
    With pistol cases, I just vibrate with lizzard litter and then to the Dillon.

Stid2677, is the stainless media in some kind of liquid? Do you have to clean it? I've been considering trading in my old RCBS vibratory/walnut media for a ultrasonic or a stainless Thumbler Tumbler system. My walnut media does an ok job, but I have to clean the cases afterward with hot water and soap. I'd like to cut down on a step or two.

For my old school system, I use one of these to clean out the walnut media out of the cases. It works great. Only down side is just the basic problem of using walnut/corn cob media - it leaves a powdery residue on the cases:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176...edia-separator

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Stid2677, is the stainless media in some kind of liquid? Do you have to clean it? I've been considering trading in my old RCBS vibratory/walnut media for a ultrasonic or a stainless Thumbler Tumbler system. My walnut media does an ok job, but I have to clean the cases afterward with hot water and soap. I'd like to cut down on a step or two.

For my old school system, I use one of these to clean out the walnut media out of the cases. It works great. Only down side is just the basic problem of using walnut/corn cob media - it leaves a powdery residue on the cases:

Yes, I clean it in HOT water, a teaspoon of Lemishine and a few drops of Dawn dish soap and tumble for a hour or so. Just be careful not to tumble nickel plated brass too long. The media stays clean just rinse with hot water as you remove the brass.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Always tumbled my brass with dry rice. Lasts a long, long time, and does a WONDERFUL job !!! Cheap, too ................

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Always tumbled my brass with dry rice. Lasts a long, long time, and does a WONDERFUL job !!! Cheap, too ................
    I read dry ice...you really had me there for a moment...

I love the different medias eveyone is using. Add another notch for reasons to be part of the forum!
    I have always used cob or walnut. I add about a teaspoon of Flitz into it and let go. Shines up everything real nice and the Flitz leaves a thin coating to protect the brass if I am just storing. I have also tried Osso polish, I think it's called, with good results but it is a bit spendy.

It doesn't matter what media I use, it;s still better then what I had to do before a tumbler!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Default ultrasonic

Give the ultrasonic a try first. Unless you really have to have shiny brass an ultrasonic cleaner is very fast and no mess or media to deal with and clean up. I use LemiShine in mine with a dap of soap and pour everything down the drain when I'm through. Simply rinse the cases in very hot water after cleaning and let them dry for a day unless you need them right away; if so, use a hair dryer.

You can also use an ultrasonic cleaner on guns and small part etc. They will really clean up a stainless gun with LemiShine but for a blued gun you only want to use hot soapy water or a solvent. I have cleaned rust off carbon steel gun parts with my ultrasonic unit and LemiShine; it leaves a grey finish that looks like parkerizing.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    I read dry ice...you really had me there for a moment...
    RICE, RICE !!! iT'S THAT STUFF YOU SHOULD COOK BEFORE EATING. iCE IS SOMETHING YOU PUT IN YOUR SCOTCH, UNLESS YOU'RE A PURIST AND DRINK ONLY SINGLE MALT .................... i'D JUST STAY CLEAR OF DRY ICE. iT BURNS YOUR TONGUE . . .

Stid2677 and tvfinak, thanks for the tips. Both systems look great. I've had my RCBS vibratory cleaner for almost 25 years and it still keeps ticking, but I'm going to sell it and go with either the ultra sonic or the thumbler's with stainless. Time to upgrade and get cleaner brass!

Good thing about an ultrasonic cleaner is that you can use it for so much other other stuff also even if you have tumbler. I first got aquainted with them over 40 years ago and have always marveled at how well they work. Fortunately, the drop in prices of electronics has reduced the prices significantly.

I also forgeot to mention cleaning black powder cases and guns. If you shoo that old stuff an ultrasonic cleaner is a MUST - it will boil the residue out of cases and guns and all the foul water gets flushed with minimum mess.

Stid2677 and tvfinak, thanks for the tips. Both systems look great. I've had my RCBS vibratory cleaner for almost 25 years and it still keeps ticking, but I'm going to sell it and go with either the ultra sonic or the thumbler's with stainless. Time to upgrade and get cleaner brass!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Ultra sonics cant hold a candle to the stainless steel media. Great for the wife's jewelry but thats about it. Stid, I haven't used hot water because the directions (or frequently asked questions section, I don't remember exactly) say it will discolor the brass. I have always used cold water from the faucet. Have you noticed and discoloration?

Default much quicker..

I can throw some hot water and LemiShine in my cleaner and have nice clean cases in 5- 10 minutes, then rinse and have ready to reload not too long afterwards after i dry them with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Looks like the SS media is OK is if you want shiny case and don't mind the time and mess.

Perhaps you didn't have an adequate ultrasonic cleaner, hot enough water, and/or LemiShine. I've been using ultrasonic cleaners for decades and have excellent results, esp. with LemiShine.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Ultra sonics cant hold a candle to the stainless steel media. Great for the wife's jewelry but thats about it. Stid, I haven't used hot water because the directions (or frequently asked questions section, I don't remember exactly) say it will discolor the brass. I have always used cold water from the faucet. Have you noticed and discoloration?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast