Thread: ptarmigan

Default ptarmigan

what does everybody use to kill ptarmigan with minimal meat damage. i have tried 3/4 ounce 8 shot 12 gauge, 22 and a 17 hmr and they always seem to get pretty destroyed even when letting them fly out to 30 yards with the shot gun. i think i am going to bring out the 410 next time and try that. if it still wastes too much meat i am going to get a high power pellet rifle.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I shout them in the head with my 22 with a 3x9 scope

i take head shots with my Savage .223 works great!..can't get as many birds as with a shotgun but almost zero meat loss every time

Thirds on the bullet v shot. Not as "sporting", but less meat loss.

My Son prefers to use his single shot 410 with no 6 shoot (I believe). Same gun he's had since about 1976. I prefer my 22 rifle

As everyone else says, the best way to keep from destroying meat is headshots, but if you decide to stick with the 12 gauge, start using larger shot with the lightest load you can find/load. I have seen 1 3/4" mini shells. I like to use #4 or 6 shot in my 410. This means less pellets to make less holes, and heavier pellets will usually penetrate all the way through the bird so you don't have to spit pellets. The last bird I shot with 7 1/2 had so many pellets that I couldn't even chew it.

I use nothing but shotgun...20, 16, or 28 gauge and generally 7.5 shot, 6 in heavy wind or when birds are flushing wild too far ahead of the dogs. I never really thought about it, because i never had a problem with too many pellets or ruined meat, but
    I suppose it helps to let them fly a little after the flush and it would also help having a more open choke to spread the shot????

I have however pulverized a few ducks when they came into the decoys at Mach III and practically take your hat off with their landing gear. Sometimes it is better to let them land and become live decoys.

I use #4 in a short barel 12ga. for grouse in the woods, nice wide pattern and 4 or 5 pellets in the bird normally at around 20 yards. I started hunting that way when rabbit hunting, when i had the chance I'd shoot the occasional bird I kicked up and noticed how little damage they caused so now thats all I carry.

Single shot .410 seems to do the trick for me and its light as can be.

I mainly use 7.5 shot in either a 20 or 12 gauge. If you are putting too many pellets in them you are either too close or you have too much choke. No ground pounding with the shotgun.

If you are using a 17hmr or a 22 there should be no meat damage at all with head shots.

I used a single shot .410 for a couple years and LOVED IT. I would shoot them on the ground when using that gun. You want to be fairly close when shooting a .410 so you avoid injuring them and chasing the bird for an hour. I aim right for the head and would OCCASIONAL rip up a breast or two. But for the most part the meat was perfectly good! I use 4-6 shot. NOW I have decided to bring out my Remington 270 wingmaster 20 gauge instead, BUT I try and take all my shots in the air. I find it is a lot more fun and in the spirit of "upland" game hunting to bring a "true" bird gun and shoot em in the air. Nothing beats the feeling of having a couple birds pop up in front of you, swinging on them, pop pop, and down they go! Truly spectacular, especially in ptarmigan country (alpine alaska!!) But if I were to go back to shooting birds on the ground, I think I would opt for a .22 with a good scope...less meat damage and better range than a .410!

i use a 22 with 3x9 also, sometimes a little to magnified but there is no meat damage. would like to use 410 if i had one.

Savage makes a model 42 over and under. .22 mag on top and .410 on bottom.

any idea where/how to get one of these? Savage doesn't even make them anymore, do they?

Check out this link, dont know if you can get them in AK yet.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...2-combination/

They stopped producing the model 24 but they can be found scattered throughout the gun auction sites but you'll pay ~$600 from the ones I have seen. They started producing the model 42 and one can be found in Wasilla right now. I would have bought it but I got my grandfather to pass his 22 lr/20 ga down to me. Should be a really sweet utility gun for small game.

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...bo_22_410.html
    Go Big Red!

Yeah, the old 24's are great. I've got a .22/410 and it's a great small game gun. I'm not in AK (yet) but it works great on rabbit, squirrel, and the occasional quail or woodcock. Savage is making a combination gun in .22/410 again. It's ugly as sin though, synthetic stocked with red lettering. Oh, and to reduce meat damage w/a .22, use solid subsonics. No need for a hollowpoint or high velocity.