Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplies - online and/or local?

Default Supplies - online and/or local?

As a new reloader, where do you get your supplies from, besides brass? I believe things like powder and primers are best gotten local since they charge you hazmat fees and 2nd day air shipping for them, like they do ammo to Alaska - right? But are the bullets better gotten online i bulk, or are they good dealers in town? I'll be doing .338, .308, .270, .223 and .40S&W - bulk only in .223 and .40S&W but maybe .308 too.

Thanks!
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Like you say.

Pwdr and Primers locally.

Brass and bullets and other stuff, I order if they aren't available locally.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It all depends on what I am looking for. I look for sales that will off set the cost of shipping. Now that I am playing with something in 35 caliber its gotten silly for local stuff.

Is it really beneficial to buy the bullets online? Have not priced them much, so curious. I like supporting local and the little guy, but lately I have seen some crazy price hikes! I know about MidwayUSA and Brownells... any better sources online that use flat rate shipping?
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Well you’ll end up doing some of both. If you want to try a new (to you) projectile you ens up picking up a box local but sometimes you can only find them on-line. Bulk is usually better on-line (Midway, Brownell’s, Graff & Sons, et-all) and shipped in a flat rate box. For your 40S&W Lee Stoner of Wasilla makes some great cast 10mm/40 stuff. Just check around the shops and web and get the goodies ya want.

For reloading shops out here in the Valley I like Artic Ammo, Three Bears, Sportsmans in that order. In Anchorage Boondocks (Eagle River), Great Northern, Mountain View. We have a Cabela’s coming to Anchorage and that (if like the L48 ones) should have the best reloading stock in the state but like Sportsmans little knowledge from the folks selling it to you so don't forget the little guys.

Occasionally (especially when the shop shelves get bare) somebody will put together a group powder or primer buy . . . that’s the cheapest way to get ether in large amounts when you have enough guys to eat the shipping.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    Is it really beneficial to buy the bullets online? Have not priced them much, so curious. I like supporting local and the little guy, but lately I have seen some crazy price hikes! I know about MidwayUSA and Brownells... any better sources online that use flat rate shipping?
    If you know what fodder ya want type it into Google, you’ll find some deals from little shops all over as well as EBay and Amazon sellers.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Three bears takes care of my primer and powder needs, best prices down here. Most of my projectiles come from there too. I pick up some projectiles and brass on-line if I can find a good sale price. Pretty much all the bulk .223 has been bought up recently but prior to that midway had some good deals.

It's been my experience that Graf&Son has the best deal on shipping to AK. (Still costly, but doable.)

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    We have a Cabela’s coming to Anchorage and that (if like the L48 ones) should have the best reloading stock in the state but like Sportsmans little knowledge from the folks selling it to you so don't forget the little guys.
    The reloading stock at my local Cabelas leaves quite a bit to be desired. If you're looking for anything other than .223, 7mm, or .30 theres a limited selection. And if you want something more obscure, like .35's don't bother. The powder selection is limited to only the most popular stuff as well. Primers they were fully stocked. The equipment they had in stock was VERY limited.

I don't know if the Cabelas you're getting will be one of the destination stores or what they just opened near me in Charleston, WV. It is quite a bit smaller than the big ones I've been in. but I was told by the manager at opening that all future stores would be that smaller size because the return on investment in the big stores was not as great. Anchorage may justify a big one though.

Depends on what you reload.

I get Webley bullets cast in Pennsylvania and I have enough VN powder to load 455 for every Tommy in the Ox and Bucks. My buddy cast me up 32-20 bullets. I get Nagant bullets from Berrys. We stock Lapua so I use Lapua brass and bullets and have a good supply. I get Reloader/VN powders either from local distrib or GNG since I try to buy local all the time and Joe,Frank and Yog treat me great. I buy Norma powder from some powder dude at the gun shows, nice guy. Primers either the distributor or GNG

In my shopping decisions, I always factor the cost of my time into sourcing stuff, so at my hourly rate, its cheaper for me to drive over to GNG and pay full retail (which I never have to but ya get it) than to mess around trying to save a buck. Time is money.

I keep forgetting about GNG. Looks like I need to take a side trip today.

Also check out Natchez Shooters supplies and Mid South for on line sales.

Best place to find bullets is to watch the classifieds on different forums as people are always trying to move bullets they no longer use at lower prices than any retailer.
    Search Noslers web site as well for seconds and stock up when something you use shows up.

I'll pretty much go +1 to what Andy already said.

For brass I start with range pickup, will buy bags of 100 local. When I am ready for 1000, I tend to buy online.

Powder and primers I have always gotten local. I shoot about 3k rounds of .45Colt and perhaps 500 rounds of moose rifle annually. I just don't burn enough powder (or primers) to pay the shipping and hazmat compared to just buying local.

Bullets, I start with the usual suspects at local retail. When I find the one bullet I want 1000 of, I tend to order those online. Generally in the common calibers I can find something that works well and meets my needs local.

Except for cast bullets. What a headache that was. Now that I have identified a cast bullet that works well in my gun I order it 70# at a time (USPS flat rate box) from Pennsylvania. I have quite a collection of .452-454" cast bullets that don't work well for me and I keep an eye on the ammo dump section here.

One other thing I do is keep a list on my bench. I have a Lewis De-leader for my .45Colt and can only order (that I know of) abrasive discs for it from Brownell's. Those are on the list more or less constantly so if I am about to order whatever bullet I can check the price at Brownell's...you get the idea.

under "normal" circumstances Powder Valley Inc has the best inventory and prices on everything - the day after the Newtown shooting I put in an order with them and was able to add everything I wanted except for 45acp brass - 4 days later I looked at the website and most was "out of stock" but they are the very best to deal with - When I had an FFL I would buy my powder & primers from them rather than getting them wholesale from JSC because Powder Valley was so easy to deal with and bent over backwards (figure of speech) to please - I realize shipping will be bad up there but they will give you as good a price on it as anyone will

Dont know about the stores by you but there are guys at the Fairbanks Sportsmans that know more about reloading than 99% of the reloaders out there. Just cuz they work at the big stores doesn't mean that they are ignorant. I have seen a lot of the little guy owners and their employees go to work for Sportsmans. Don't hate the big stores because the little guys can't hang with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well you’ll end up doing some of both. If you want to try a new (to you) projectile you ens up picking up a box local but sometimes you can only find them on-line. Bulk is usually better on-line (Midway, Brownell’s, Graff & Sons, et-all) and shipped in a flat rate box. For your 40S&W Lee Stoner of Wasilla makes some great cast 10mm/40 stuff. Just check around the shops and web and get the goodies ya want.

For reloading shops out here in the Valley I like Artic Ammo, Three Bears, Sportsmans in that order. In Anchorage Boondocks (Eagle River), Great Northern, Mountain View. We have a Cabela’s coming to Anchorage and that (if like the L48 ones) should have the best reloading stock in the state but like Sportsmans little knowledge from the folks selling it to you so don't forget the little guys.

Occasionally (especially when the shop shelves get bare) somebody will put together a group powder or primer buy . . . that’s the cheapest way to get ether in large amounts when you have enough guys to eat the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Dont know about the stores by you but there are guys at the Fairbanks Sportsmans that know more about reloading than 99% of the reloaders out there. Just cuz they work at the big stores doesn't mean that they are ignorant. I have seen a lot of the little guy owners and their employees go to work for Sportsmans. Don't hate the big stores because the little guys can't hang with them.
    I don’t hate them, I’m in the Wasilla and Anchorage Sportsman’s all the time . . . They just don’t have many guys working there that have clue one about reloading, good folks but not very knowledgeable on the subject at all.

As for the little guy not hanging I can go to Artic Ammo or Three Bears and talk to folks that know and use the products on the shelves and be out the door for less than Sportsman’s wants for the same thing . . . If Sportsman’s even has it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

As an example of what I mean I was looking through the dies at Wasilla Sportsman’s about a year ago and another customer was receiving “help” from an employ nearby. The customer pointed at the gold pan shaped media separator/sifter pans and asked “What’s that?” Well intentioned employ replies “I don’t know why they are in the reloading stuff, it’s a classifying pan for gold panning.” So I educated them both on why they are with the reloading stuff.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Often times I can't find what I'm looking for stocked locally, so I tend to order brass and bullets online, and get primers and powder locally. Boondocks in Eagle River is my favorite for powder and primers, good prices and nice people to deal with. Often times they have some interesting stuff on their specials table.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

This last year I have been on a little buying binge. Some local and some online. I don't reload for everything you listed, but for target shooting I buy Hornady (.224) 55gr FMJ (2267) online....usually 4k at a time. Very good bullet and reasonable price. Doesn't really matter what retailer you pick (Graf, Powder Valley, Natchez etc.) as long as they will ship in a USPS Flat Rate Box! For your .40, I would highly recommend you look at Precision Delta for jacketed bullets. For years I was shooting Berry's plated, but Precision in now cheaper for jacketed bullets and very good quality, but you have to buy 2k at a time or pay extra. Zero is also another option, but they seem to be out of stock quite often. Another place to look is Montana Gold. A little pricier than the other 2, but they offer a couple items I prefer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast