Thread: need some direction

Default need some direction

I have always hunted cooper landing for blackbear since 1990 and this past year was the first one I didn't hunt. Too many browns and it just got unbearable.
    I was talking with my son tonight and told him I need to find a new spot. He recommended Sutton and maybe further north. I was wondering withinin 120 miles of Anchorage is there land off the highway that is public to hunt. Im not sur I know where too look to make sure Im on state land I would really like to stay on the parks highway only because I know that way to glennallen. Not looking for spots I will find it more looking for legal areas. Thanks

I mean I am thinking hunting the glenn highway

If you just Google Alaska fish and game then click on the hunting tab you should be able to view hunt maps. You can also just click in whatever GMU you would like to view

Hope this helps

Default need some direction

The DNR website has a GIS section called Alaska Mapper. You use that to find platted private land and most ANCSA lands. It has a satellite base map option or topo.

There also is a property mapping GIS site for the mat-su borough which will cover most of that area.

The good thing about the Glenn is that it's a huge public land area. That also means there will be a lot of people.

Thanks for the info. I will strart educating myself, I definitely know the crowded concerns but dont think I will have a problem finding. Place to hunt.

You might want to research unit 16, I have no experience there. But have heard many times that it has high bear populations.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Working out the hunt conditions of a new area can be fine and fun, or frustrating.
    If your plan is to spot-and-stalk hunt off the road system, possible with a little boat or canoe, I believe your area around Cooper Landing is still better than the other "road system areas" mentioned in this thread. However, if you have a river boat to venture off the road system, then bear baiting along the rivers in Game Mamangement Unit 16 will be a high success multi bear whackin shoot-fest.
    But spot-and-stalk or run-and-gun opportunities might not be so great in GMU 16.

Shoot a black bear and save some moose calves.

But you are gonna bump brown bears in GMU 16 also. Possible just as many or more as in the Cooper Landing area.

AlaskaTrue/Dennis
    Imagine (It's easy if you try)
    …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
    (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be