Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak update

Default Kodiak update

Well after a six hour delay in Houston due to a computer problem with AK Airlines and a two day weather delay in Anchorage we finally made it to Kodiak on October 10th. I started getting a bad feeling after everyone I told that we were going deer hunting frowned. After we were dropped at Deadman's Bay by SeaHawk air we spent countless hours glassing, climbing and walking and only turned up one deer's rear end running away. However, my buddy, my dad and myself are all waterfowlers and we had a blast. We had two outstanding shoots on Golden Eyes and they each got a Harlequin to mount. We shot puddle ducks (mallards, pintail and green winged teal) each evening for dinner. I shot a nice fox on the last day while waiting on the plane. My buddy has been bitten by the Alaska bug just as I was ten years ago on my first trip to Uganik Island. We are now planning a DIY black bear hunt on the Kenai peninsula. I will post some pics ASAP.

thanks,
    TH

Not bad mouthing you at all, but I find it interesting that you would come all the way up here just to hunt deer. To hunt bear AND dear I could understand. I guess if you just really like Sitka blacktails then I can understand also. Don't get me wrong as I like these little deer as well, but I sure could think of a lot better dear hunting opportunities a lot closer to you down there.

But then again, ANY reason to get to AK. would be reason enough for some people. And if that be the case, then I totally understand as well.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Any reason is a good reason to spend time on Kodiak Island....it is an amazing place.

We were in Deadman bay first week of december. Between the 14 of us, only a single 3x3 was taken. We got there right after a blizzard rolled through, lots of tracks but real quiet. Duck hunting was unbelievable though.

Quote Originally Posted by tex hunter View Post
    Well after a six hour delay in Houston due to a computer problem with AK Airlines and a two day weather delay in Anchorage we finally made it to Kodiak on October 10th. I started getting a bad feeling after everyone I told that we were going deer hunting frowned. After we were dropped at Deadman's Bay by SeaHawk air we spent countless hours glassing, climbing and walking and only turned up one deer's rear end running away. However, my buddy, my dad and myself are all waterfowlers and we had a blast. We had two outstanding shoots on Golden Eyes and they each got a Harlequin to mount. We shot puddle ducks (mallards, pintail and green winged teal) each evening for dinner. I shot a nice fox on the last day while waiting on the plane. My buddy has been bitten by the Alaska bug just as I was ten years ago on my first trip to Uganik Island. We are now planning a DIY black bear hunt on the Kenai peninsula. I will post some pics ASAP.

thanks,
    TH
    Sounds to me like an excellent trip and golden memories to last a lifetime. Great thing about Alaska. You just never know what to expect and there in itself is the adventure.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Not bad mouthing you at all, but I find it interesting that you would come all the way up here just to hunt deer. To hunt bear AND dear I could understand. I guess if you just really like Sitka blacktails then I can understand also. Don't get me wrong as I like these little deer as well, but I sure could think of a lot better dear hunting opportunities a lot closer to you down there.

But then again, ANY reason to get to AK. would be reason enough for some people. And if that be the case, then I totally understand as well.
    Here is one good reason @ $45per night http://www.fws.gov/refuge/puc_deadmanbay.html
    and good dungy and tanner fishing plus silver fishing in late Sept -Oct.
    The guy across the bay (me) can also provide big game transporter service and out fitting for small game and fishing and lodging

4merguide, come on man you've gotta know that whitetail hunting/blacktail hunting/mule deer hunting isn't the same, they are all different. that'd be like saying why hunt brown bears when you've got black bears right there where you live!!! deer hunting on kodiak is one of the funnest hunts in alaska to me...and about the cheapest, what better way to expereince kodiak island than on the most affordable hunt you can find!! 20 grand for a brownie hunt....3 grand for a deer hunt?!?! why hunt moose in alaska, maines got them too....or canada is alot closer...you could go on and i'm. i'm a bit suprised to see you post that. no hard feelings, just suprised is all.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    4merguide, come on man you've gotta know that whitetail hunting/blacktail hunting/mule deer hunting isn't the same, they are all different. that'd be like saying why hunt brown bears when you've got black bears right there where you live!!! deer hunting on kodiak is one of the funnest hunts in alaska to me...and about the cheapest, what better way to expereince kodiak island than on the most affordable hunt you can find!! 20 grand for a brownie hunt....3 grand for a deer hunt?!?! why hunt moose in alaska, maines got them too....or canada is alot closer...you could go on and i'm. i'm a bit suprised to see you post that. no hard feelings, just suprised is all.
    +1... no way no how are they remotely the same in any way shap or form...period.. Folks used to ask me how I could hunt deer after hunting moose and my answer is simple....a deer is not a moose... I have hunted black bears in Pa and NJ and there is nooooo way it is the same as hunting black bear in Alaska.. One of my Bucket list is the Arizona desert for Cous deer with a bow and they small also but a huge trophy to me.. I am a little surprised at that comment too.. 4mer have you ever even been to Kodiak just curious...

Hey Tex hunter if you need any help or info on the Kenai feel free to give me a shout. If I can I will help you out....
    Dave

We were in the Deadman Bay cabin after you. We didn't even see any deer during the six days we hunted. By the way....all of those waterfowl carcasses you left in the burn barrel didn't burn at all. We had to clean them out to get the burn barrel to function as something other than a trash can.

Hopefully someday I'll be back at Deadman Bay and I'll definitely use Rick at Alpine Cove Cabins. He's a great guy and has an amazing setup from what a couple of his clients told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I am a little surprised at that comment too.. 4mer have you ever even been to Kodiak just curious...

No, unfortunately not, and I think that's mainly why I said what I did. Pretty much feeling that it was more the call of the island itself rather than the deer. Like I said, I wasn't bad mouthing the guy at all, only curious as to his reasoning. And when I said "little" deer it wasn't to degrade the animal, or the hunt, either. As I too have wanted to take an AZ. friend up on his open invitation to hunt the "little" grey ghost.

Didn't want to come across as to take anything away from the guy's experience, but it's hard sometimes for me to get a point across on a computer screen. It was more like if you met somebody and he said he went hunting in New Zealand, and you would ask, Oh really what made you want to go down there to hunt? Really just wanting to know the whole story.

I guess I've known a number of guys that want to leave AK. and go hunt trophy deer either in the lower 48 or Canada. It was actually kind of refreshing to hear a guy want to journey all the way up here just for the deer. Personally I just don't remember hearing that from a lower 48er before. It just kind of surprised me is all. No biggie. And I sure hope to make it to Kodiak too someday before I die.....lol.

I have to admit tho, just being able to bag a couple harlequin would be pretty special to me as they are such incredible looking birds.....

No, unfortunately not, and I think that's mainly why I said what I did. Pretty much feeling that it was more the call of the island itself rather than the deer. Like I said, I wasn't bad mouthing the guy at all, only curious as to his reasoning. And when I said "little" deer it wasn't to degrade the animal, or the hunt, either. As I too have wanted to take an AZ. friend up on his open invitation to hunt the "little" grey ghost.

Didn't want to come across as to take anything away from the guy's experience, but it's hard sometimes for me to get a point across on a computer screen. It was more like if you met somebody and he said he went hunting in New Zealand, and you would ask, Oh really what made you want to go down there to hunt? Really just wanting to know the whole story.

I guess I've known a number of guys that want to leave AK. and go hunt trophy deer either in the lower 48 or Canada. It was actually kind of refreshing to hear a guy want to journey all the way up here just for the deer. Personally I just don't remember hearing that from a lower 48er before. It just kind of surprised me is all. No biggie. And I sure hope to make it to Kodiak too someday before I die.....lol.

I have to admit tho, just being able to bag a couple harlequin would be pretty special to me as they are such incredible looking birds.....
    I get ya 4mer.. Its tough to get a point across on a keyboard sometimes so I understand.. I would seriously put kodiak on your bucket list, to me with out a doubt it is one of the coolest places I have ever been..

Thanks.....and I hope "tex hunter" understands too......

4mer...here's a little taste of Kodiak for ya, hope you make it there someday.

Oh ma man I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of beautiful pics of the rock over the years. I've been in AK. going on 30 years now this summer. But alas Kodiak has alluded me thus far.

Thanks.......GREAT shot...!!!

PS......STILL kinda bummed at a couple friends of mine. Years ago I turned them onto a hot spot for sheep, and they've scored more than a few times. All I asked them in return was to be included on one of their Kodiak deer hunts that they went on all the time. Never happened......

Well as a lower 48er I to went to kodiak for the first time 5 yrs ago with 8 buddies/fathers/sons, Just to hunt deer and ducks. We all shot 2-3 bucks each, several of us with our sons shot our sea ducks, Harley's, barrows,etc. it just isn't the same as hunting deer anywhere else, I couldn't wait to come back, that's what led me to returning this oct. for my brown bear hunt, and now I am pumped to return again for goats.
    Anyway it is a way special place and as I am writing this I am watching 11 white tails out back but it just ain't the same. Oh and no I don't keep a "hit list" nor do I name the deer around our place like you see on the idiots Midwest t.v. Shows, just saying!

It ALWAYS KILLS me to see the deer on Kodiak referred to as "LITTLE". WTHeck????
    Yeah, you're probably not going to see any 350 lbers, BUT most of the bucks I've shot there (not enough, by far) come nowhere close to small. In fact, most were in what I would consider to be very close (weight wise) to the bucks I've shot in PA, CO, MT or NE. I'd put the dressed out weight, of my average Kodiak buck (guts/organs removed) at 125 - 150 lbs. That would compare (favorably) to PA bucks that dressed at anywhere from 100 lbs to about 145lbs. I'd say the biggest buck I've taken was one from NE that may have gone around 160 lbs. Most of the bucks in the stated dressed out weight range would give about 50-60 lbs of boned meat. (A nice sized cow caribou from this year resulted in about 90 lbs of bone-in meat. Also comparable) I also consider Sitka black tail to be the best tasting venison - bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    It ALWAYS KILLS me to see the deer on Kodiak referred to as "LITTLE".
    Sorry guy if I "killed" you guy. I have killed a few Sitka blacktails and imo they are fairly little deer. AGAIN....not trying to degrade the animal because I like them too. REALLY love their antler configurations as well. And I do hope to hunt a lot more...hopefully on Kodiak some day. I should probably say that I'm probably a bit biased though. I have indeed killed a few mule deer that were well over 200 lbs. and seen a few in the 350 pound range. Although I love deer hunting as a whole, and I do miss it a lot, I would have to say I am awful fond a big beautiful muley bucks. That's probably only because I was raised around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    It ALWAYS KILLS me to see the deer on Kodiak referred to as "LITTLE". WTHeck????
    Yeah, you're probably not going to see any 350 lbers, BUT most of the bucks I've shot there (not enough, by far) come nowhere close to small. In fact, most were in what I would consider to be very close (weight wise) to the bucks I've shot in PA, CO, MT or NE. I'd put the dressed out weight, of my average Kodiak buck (guts/organs removed) at 125 - 150 lbs. That would compare (favorably) to PA bucks that dressed at anywhere from 100 lbs to about 145lbs. I'd say the biggest buck I've taken was one from NE that may have gone around 160 lbs. Most of the bucks in the stated dressed out weight range would give about 50-60 lbs of boned meat. (A nice sized cow caribou from this year resulted in about 90 lbs of bone-in meat. Also comparable) I also consider Sitka black tail to be the best tasting venison - bar none.
    What he said. Kodiak blacktails are by no means little. I've been fortunate so far to have killed 3 PA whitetail, and although they were all small to average size whitetail, they were much smaller than any one of the Kodiak blacktail bucks I've shot. I can only guess on the wt. and my best guess would be right around 200 lbs. (on the hoof) for the Kodiak deer. Although I know there are whitetail down the the lower 48 and Canada that are much larger than that, a 200 lb. (give or take) deer is not small. Oh, and for table fare, I'll take a kelp eating Sitka blacktail over a corn fed whitetail any day of the week. One more thing, if you're comparing Sitka blacktail to mule deer, I'll take the blacktail please, and you can use the muley to feed the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    One more thing, if you're comparing Sitka blacktail to mule deer, I'll take the blacktail please, and you can use the muley to feed the dogs.
    Obviously whoever took care of the muley you ate, weather it be you or someone else didn't know what they were doing. All the mulies I've eaten, that I have taken care of myself have been excellent.

I understand the question, I've been asked it before. Two reasons. First, I love Alaska. Second, I have killed a lot of WT deer in my life and am really interested in hunting other species. Without starting a debate let me just say that it's also almost as cheap for me to make the Kodiak trip with a couple of buddies than it is to lease a place here at home or set up a hunt on private land here in Texas and the scenery isn't near as nice. I mean we were shooting ducks and watching whales break the surface in the middle of the bay. That's not something I get to see hunting West Galveston Bay.
    Thanks,
    TH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast